What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rnd 1 2020 Eels v Dogs BankWest Stadium - Game Day Thread

Noise

Coach
I still think it can work. I actually think it's something teams should have trained for, but I doubt either us or the dogs did that.
All Teams do train for scrums in set positions. The things that annoys me is it slows the game down with the ref asking the captain where? And then all players moving to the spot. Then they have another 30 seconds to pack it.

eel01s

Bench
Happy with the round 1 win. No injuries even better.

Very good defensive effort. Really liked Moses and Drown as they handled everything thrown at them.

Paulo was fantastic.

The attack will come.

BTW hate the Captains Challenge in its current form.

84 Baby

Referee
Just realised the daily double would’ve been the two hookers. What a rarity! Did anyone win it?

Happy MEel

First Grade
Love how half the bulldogs team walked off the field straight after the game without acknowledging the parra players. Poor losers. Maybe they were late to an under 16’s dance party
On fox they were saying that players were advised to leave the field straight after the game without shaking hands due to coronavirus.

hindy111

Post Whore
Sure you can find better players in the Riff team, the Dogs are possibly the most difficult team to play open style footy.
They lay in the ruck, prepared to test the 10 metres, hold and pull in every play the ball and basically slow the game at every opportunity.
First game of the year against a team like the Dogs who had early season energy. Not a game to lay blame, previously we would have lost and some would pile on that we poor in defensive struggles.
On to next week, blame a different player or the coach , which we have all done, sleep and repeat.

This was in response to BA has a premiership winning side.
In the spine we have Moses who is a top 5 halfback.
Gutherson is maybe around 6-8th best fullback
Mahoney and Brown have potential. What they are producing currently doesnt put them the top half in positions. They both could become top 5 but aren't there yet.
My comment is based on current and not future.
And sure Riff could have better ones. They also have some young guys in spine.

hindy111

Post Whore
Happy with the round 1 win. No injuries even better.

Very good defensive effort. Really liked Moses and Drown as they handled everything thrown at them.

Paulo was fantastic.

The attack will come.

BTW hate the Captains Challenge in its current form.

Captains challenge. It slows down game more. f**k it off

TheParraboy

Staff member
I was at the game. It was boring.
DWZ looked dangerous but woefull ball handling.
Moses was garbage in his control and kicking game. D.Brown wasn't noticed.
Lane looked a little dangerous and SO did Jnr. Nothing else was doing.

Way I saw the game. Errors and lack of skill by both sides. Grinding and slow game.
I feel like we lacked some pace. Was anyone dreadfull? No but at sametime nobody stood out. Just a dour game.

I reckon the whole corona virus this had players a bit off. The crowd was about 6,000 short from it and it's been all we hear about the last 48hrs. NBA was suspended amongst some huge shit going down today. It's now on all our minds even if you deny it. People are anxious

Id suggest we have the best defensive 6&7 in the comp. Drowns defence is sublime and Moses is now very good.
A real slug fest but a wins a win.
3. Gutho
2. Mahoney
1. Lane.
Defence was the best I've witnessed from a Parramatta Team for a very long time. Even our technique looked much improved.
Why pick a player,Taka and not use him? Stone, Alvaro or Kaufusi would have been far handier.
Evans dissapointed me.

These two posts probably sum it up for me

2 competition points is ours.

Plenty to work on. Win ugly this time of year fine with me any day of the week in March and April, and stay relatively injury free

Two tough away matches now - Titans and Cowboys.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
OK, so no such thing as rotation ? I must have missed the memo that says no14s are only there for injuries

yeh, the game was too close to bring on an attacking player

good one Pou, now try and put some sort of spin in your reply
Pay only used 16 players as well. What if we'd carried an extra middle forward and then lost an edge player during the game? It's not spin, it's risk management.

Seem to have more fitness in us at the end of games from what I've seen so far this year. That would be a factor in not interchanging anybody

lingard

Coach
On the whole our defence was very good.

Granted the Dogs are an awful attacking side so that's not a great claim to fame....but you've gotta start somewhere.

Plenty of Eels games like that have gone against us with a dicky try somewhere

Actually, the Dogs are a very good attacking side - they just lack the strike-power to convert their attack into tries when in the opposition quarter. In all other areas of the field their attack is good. In fact, they're a pretty underrated side - and their coach flies under the radar, but I reckon he's very good, too. They are a side that can consistently mount pressure (in defence and attack) and they don't ever go away when it gets tough. I reckon we did well to stay in the fight and not panic. As others have said, that's better than a 50-nil win at this stage of the season for us. One of Parramatta's greatest weaknesses over the last few years is that we have been good front-runners, but not good at staying in the fight when the going gets real tough. I know Canterbury aren't a Roosters or Melbourne or Manly, but it was still a good test for us last night: and as far as I'm concerned, we passed.