What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Financial fragility of the game

Knights, dogs, Panthers, eels, roosters, tigers all relied heavily on LC funding last year. Some up to $5mill. They are going to have to cut their cloth for the next few years very tightly I suspect.

Easts do have over a 150 mil in assets to dip into if they can’t afford the halftime organic oranges.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Not being a dick here but clubs like the Dogs, Eels, Panthers are considered rich safe clubs, however isn’t that entirely on the back on their Leagues Clubs Grants? Didn’t Parra lose like $9mil last year or something? With the Leagues club being shut do some of these ‘rich clubs’ have some major issues?

I would absolutely hate it if any club died off the back of this, no fans deserve that.

T-Boon

Coach
Not being a dick here but clubs like the Dogs, Eels, Panthers are considered rich safe clubs, however isn’t that entirely on the back on their Leagues Clubs Grants? Didn’t Parra lose like $9mil last year or something? With the Leagues club being shut do some of these ‘rich clubs’ have some major issues?

I would absolutely hate it if any club died off the back of this, no fans deserve that.

That sounds right. I think Parra is also safe because of the fan base, town and ground. I would be fine with the Eels slot machine club going broke.

Perth Red

Post Whore

this year and possibly next year or two will be impacted for those clubs reliant on LC’s. Not a bad thing, clubs shouldn’t need to be spending $30million when we have caps of $16million to operate the football dept.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Easts do have over a 150 mil in assets to dip into if they can’t afford the halftime organic oranges.

all LC are same, how easy it is to release those assets or borrow against them in this financial climate is questionable. They are not cash assets.

ironically the historically two poorest clubs in nrl are the two with decent cash reserves!

Mr Parramatta

Juniors
If Panthers are gone Parra are gone too. Nowhere near the assets of Panthers Group, and every bit as reliant on pokies.
Disagree, don’t want to see panthers go, but Parra rate better, draw better crowds, and superior membership, with a new stadium to boot! So your comment is not necessarily correct.

all LC are same, how easy it is to release those assets or borrow against them in this financial climate is questionable. They are not cash assets.

ironically the historically two poorest clubs in nrl are the two with decent cash reserves!

Yeh good points but I’m sure Politis has contingencies in place. Which reminds me, he’s in the vulnerable age bracket. He might not be around to navigate these waters for us. Then again, I bet he’s planned for that too.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeh good points but I’m sure Politis has contingencies in place. Which reminds me, he’s in the vulnerable age bracket. He might not be around to navigate these waters for us. Then again, I bet he’s planned for that too.

id be amazed if any business has adequate contingencies in place. This situation is unprecedented and has happened so quickly it would be hard to have rescue plans in place. My local restaurant owner was in tears last night bless her, the whole neighbourhood has vowed to buy as many take aways as we can afford to keep her head above water. It’s crazy out there.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Reported on nine news that clubs will receive $1.2million a month for 3 months from nrl.
That’s $57.6mill of the nrl’s reserves gone.

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
Reported on nine news that clubs will receive $1.2million a month for 3 months from nrl.
That’s $57.6mill of the nrl’s reserves gone.

Given there’s no Footy what sort of overheads would the clubs still have.

does it cost 1.2 million a month to run a club in this environment?

BlueandGold

Juniors

upload_2020-3-24_17-25-36.png

Parra is safe.

johns_reds

First Grade
Given there’s no Footy what sort of overheads would the clubs still have.

does it cost 1.2 million a month to run a club in this environment?
Unless everyone taking unpaid leave should be pretty high (not just players but club ceo, admin clerk etc)

then what about thier contracts ? Office lease space etc. - these bills don’t stop

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Does the players salary come out of that?
There is 800k straight up if it does.

They won't be on full pay. I'd be expecting the guys on big money in particular to be taking big pay cuts. Put them all on 80K a year with some individually targeted assistance for those who need it for mortgages etc.

Diesel

Coach
Kenty wants a 12 team competition and says the clubs in trouble are Titans, Warriors and Manly. Yeah a 12 team comp with 8 Sydney clubs will be great FFS

Diesel

Coach
NQ
Brisbane
Newcastle
Parra, Roosters, Souths, Penrith, Canterbury
Melbourne
Should all be safe.

Warriors being based in NZ should be safe too for that reason and a lot of current NRL players have ties to NZ, but it depends what they bring in from NZTV money moving forward

I’m not saying the other clubs aren’t safe, but the top 9 teams should be part of any future RL competition

flippikat

Bench
NQ
Brisbane
Newcastle
Parra, Roosters, Souths, Penrith, Canterbury
Melbourne
Should all be safe.

Warriors being based in NZ should be safe too for that reason and a lot of current NRL players have ties to NZ, but it depends what they bring in from NZTV money moving forward

I’m not saying the other clubs aren’t safe, but the top 9 teams should be part of any future RL competition

I'd buy that.

A competition with:
Brisbane
Newcastle
5 Sydney Clubs: (in your example Parra, Roosters, Souths, Penrith, Canterbury.. but any 5 would do)
Melbourne
NZ Warriors

Plus Dragons relocated to the 'Gong makes 10 teams.

Add:
Brisbane 2
Perth
Adelaide
Central Coast (either a relocated Sydney club, Norths, or a new entity)
NZ 2

..and one more team (Brisbane 3? NZ 3? Perth 2? Melbourne 2? Central Queensland??) would be 16 clubs.

Same size, more balanced footprint.

Latest posts