What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Financial fragility of the game

beave

Coach
I'd buy that.

A competition with:
Brisbane
Newcastle
5 Sydney Clubs: (in your example Parra, Roosters, Souths, Penrith, Canterbury.. but any 5 would do)
Melbourne
NZ Warriors

Plus Dragons relocated to the 'Gong makes 10 teams.

Add:
Brisbane 2
Perth
Adelaide
Central Coast (either a relocated Sydney club, Norths, or a new entity)
NZ 2

..and one more team (Brisbane 3? NZ 3? Perth 2? Melbourne 2? Central Queensland??) would be 16 clubs.

Same size, more balanced footprint.

geez, no NQ eh?

Would be a shame to see that $290 mil stadium go to waste........

Perth Red

Post Whore
Gus being his usual upbeat self!

All 16 clubs have woken to a new reality on Tuesday, with no football in the foreseeable future and a significant hit to their bottom line.

Several clubs made moves to stand down staff or place them on annual leave on Monday night, with no-one safe as the clubs searched for ways to save money.

The impact of the coronavirus on clubs who have previously walked the financial tightrope in the past could be dire.

And Gould, who most recently filled a role as general manager at Penrith, admitted he feared for several clubs' futures.

“I can't see every club surviving,” Gould told Nine's 100% Footy.

“If this competition doesn't get back on the field this year, and there is no broadcast income coming into the game, I don't know how clubs are going to survive.

“Unless the criteria is so small next year to come into the competition, that they somehow find themselves in it.

“It depends what the funding arrangements are going forward. What the competition and salary cap looks like going forward.”

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/nrl-202...survive-coronavirus-suspension-202114429.html

Perth Red

Post Whore
The nrl will probably sell out their future for an advancement on TV income.

did the same thing in 2016 when they needed a $100mill advance on this deal. Wouldn’t surprise me if they try and get an advance on part of next two years of deal with a guarantee that fox will get first and last rights again for 2023-

If Fox has got the money to give them is the question given their financial performance last year.m

TheFrog

Coach
Disagree, don’t want to see panthers go, but Parra rate better, draw better crowds, and superior membership, with a new stadium to boot! So your comment is not necessarily correct.
None of which count. It's who is financially viable after this is over.

TheFrog

Coach
I'd buy that.

A competition with:
Brisbane
Newcastle
5 Sydney Clubs: (in your example Parra, Roosters, Souths, Penrith, Canterbury.. but any 5 would do)
Melbourne
NZ Warriors

Plus Dragons relocated to the 'Gong makes 10 teams.

Add:
Brisbane 2
Perth
Adelaide
Central Coast (either a relocated Sydney club, Norths, or a new entity)
NZ 2

..and one more team (Brisbane 3? NZ 3? Perth 2? Melbourne 2? Central Queensland??) would be 16 clubs.

Same size, more balanced footprint.
This is not going to resolve itself into which clubs make the most sense in someone's opinion. It will be which clubs can pay the bills. They aren't going to kick out anyone who is solvent.

Cactus

Juniors
Corona causes shutdown of everything aussie.

Next step = lets cut clubs based not upon what aussie characteristics built the sport but by selecting new clubs by sticking pins in maps.

Sounds like a plan. Good luck.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Shane Richardson reckons we need a 25% reduction on spending in all areas. I’d agree.
Shane makes a lot of sense, I wish they had chosen him instead of Greenberg!

I’m even more convinced now that at a minimum the nrl needs to use this situation to pull the clubs into line and dictate a total club expenditure level close to $20million. Nrl will never have a better time than now to finally wrestle the control of the game away from the clubs and state leagues.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Shane Richardson reckons we need a 25% reduction on spending in all areas. I’d agree.
Shane makes a lot of sense, I wish they had chosen him instead of Greenberg!

I’m even more convinced now that at a minimum the nrl needs to use this situation to pull the clubs into line and dictate a total club expenditure level close to $20million. Nrl will never have a better time than now to finally wrestle the control of the game away from the clubs and state leagues.

I saw that interview.

I reckon the Richo would head back to HQ now if the ARLC asked. He is probably the only guy in the games right now who i would trust with this whole crisis.

I wish the ARLC had hung onto him/picked him as CEO...

Cactus

Juniors
Havn't you people bagged Richo for ages since he was paid as a consultant to write a report for the NRL which subsequently gathered dust on a shelf somewhere & ended up doing absolutely zero for the sport ?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Havn't you people bagged Richo for ages since he was paid as a consultant to write a report for the NRL which subsequently gathered dust on a shelf somewhere & ended up doing absolutely zero for the sport ?

People who know what they’re talking about know that richo’s report was a 112 blueprint for the future of the game. A number of recommendations in it were taken up and a number should have been but were sabotaged by the selfish self interested. Shame when smith left it was between Richo and Greenberg for the job. They went with conservative instead of visionary.

also in nrl360 was interesting to hear that the clubs are still very much running the game, nrl has a plan to save clubs but they can’t even agree on that.

Cactus

Juniors
People who know what they’re talking about know that richo’s report was a 112 blueprint for the future of the game. A number of recommendations in it were taken up and a number should have been but were sabotaged by the selfish self interested. Shame when smith left it was between Richo and Greenberg for the job. They went with conservative instead of visionary.

also in nrl360 was interesting to hear that the clubs are still very much running the game, nrl has a plan to save clubs but they can’t even agree on that.

Yes, lol. I know all about the report.

Ah well, its good to hear you guys were in full support of Richardson.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes, lol. I know all about the report.

Ah well, its good to hear you guys were in full support of Richardson.

like I said those that actually do their research and don’t just listen to news ltd hacks know he did a good job and if the commission had the balls and control it should have would have implemented much more of it.

taste2taste

Juniors
The press are reporting sports are asking the state government to redirect some of the 850millin put aside to rebuild ANZ to be redistributed to help out the sports industries.

Seems like a no brainer, what's the point of rebuilding a stadium if there's no one left to play in it ?

The theatre/arts will also require a hand out from the government, the 850mil could help them out too. Solves everyone's problem with no added burden to the tax payer. Could you imagine the rosie cheeked elitist lefties carry on if sport got help and not them. Peter Fitzimmons would be insufferable :D

Last edited:

Delboy

First Grade
The press are reporting sports are asking the state government to redirect some of the 850millin put aside to rebuild ANZ to be redistributed to help out the sports industries.

Seems like a no brainer, what's the point of rebuilding a stadium if there's no one left to play in it ?

The theatre/arts will also require a hand out from the government, the 850mil could help them out too. Could you imagine the rosie cheeked elitist lefties carry on if sport got help and not them. Peter Fitzimmons would be insufferable :D
Banfanahead is insufferable, nothing would change!