What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Movies Have You Seen III

Misanthrope

Staff member
Couldn't sleep, so gave We're the Millers a rewatch. Cracking bit of comedy. I need more comedies like this. 8/10

Like many I’m sure, movies are getting a workout from me lately.

Io (Netflix film) - haven’t seen a movie this beige and lifeless for a long time. I actually couldn’t write much of a description / spoiler as after about 20 minutes I started drifting off to LU multiple times (not the dragons forum though, I don’t like horror movies) .. but... it’s a typical low-budget film with not many characters (2 or 3) they’ve tried to make work. It didn’t. Scarecrows would have been better actors, and cost less.

Event Horizon - hadnt seen before last Saturday although I’d always heard about it. Geez it was awful. Sam Neill is a great actor but even he was painful in this... I know it was made in 1997 but even allowing for this, the whole thing just reeked. I love space sci fi movies, I hated this.

Ok I’ll stop being a miserable twat now.. some more positive stuff..

Logan Lucky - Good film although I found myself losing the plot line a few times (maybe it was the Shiraz..). All the actors were great in this, including Channing Tatum, Daniel Craig, Hilary Swank, Adam Driver and Seth McFarlane (who you’d have to be very clever to pick if you didn’t know he was cast). It’s the typical formula of comedy - heist movie, that uses understatement quite well. Less is more etc.

Battleship Potemkin - one of my all time favourite films, made my top 30 in the favourites thread. It’s a silent film from 1925 filmed in the Soviet Union. That might put a lot of people off. But for me it makes the film in so many ways. It’s tense, haunting, but brilliantly told and filmed. The (famous) scene in Odessa on the stairs is still as jarring today as I’m sure it was back almost 100 years ago.

If you love classic movies and/or have an open mind to watching something very different to the norm, I highly recommend watching this. It might take getting used to for some during the beginning but once you’ve adjusted it’ll be well worth it.

Event Horizon is dire.

I'll have to watch Battleship Potemkin again. Saw it ages ago, and have forgotten a lot about it. Had Metropolis the whizz bang all inclusive Blu Ray out to watch on Saturday, but we ended up going to the in-laws for dinner and watching footy, so this weekend. Must say, SBS bang on plenty of good films now. Watched most of Das Boot the other night. Generally see things on there that are a bit cult too...films without out Blu Ray release in Australia, etc.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Logan Lucky - Good film although I found myself losing the plot line a few times (maybe it was the Shiraz..). All the actors were great in this, including Channing Tatum, Daniel Craig, Hilary Swank, Adam Driver and Seth McFarlane (who you’d have to be very clever to pick if you didn’t know he was cast). It’s the typical formula of comedy - heist movie, that uses understatement quite well. Less is more etc.

I watched this with no expectations and nearly turned it off after 5 minutes as I could barely understand the southern white trash accents. Ended up really liking it, basically an Oceans 11 with poor white people that didn’t take itself too seriously. Daniel Craig killed me.

Last edited:

azzah72

Bench
Having read the books, I had never seen any of the Lord of the rings or hobbit movies.

I don't know why.

Starting my Marathon tomorrow.

Hopefully I am not disappointed with the overhyped.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Having read the books, I had never seen any of the Lord of the rings or hobbit movies.

I don't know why.

Do yourself a favor and get the extended cuts for LOTR, at least. They're a more complete package.

For the Hobbit movies, I'd actually recommend getting your hand on the Maple Films edit. Reduces three bloated films into one four-hour epic that stays true to the heart of the novel.

PJ

First Grade

I don't know why.

As a big fan of the books, give The Hobbit a miss.

PJ

First Grade
Birds of Prey 7.5. I enjoyed it, and way better than the previews looked. Margo Robbie does crazy well.

Misanthrope

Staff member
As a big fan of the books, give The Hobbit a miss.

Just watch the Maple Films edit. Does a very good job of doing what Peter Jackson couldn't. Removes Tauriel, Legolas, the BS love story, and a lot of the extraneous fight scenes.

Reactions: PJ
Just watched Interstellar again for the first time since seeing it in the movies and it only confirmed how great I thought it was then.

I love this movie. Full spuds. All the spuds!

Great sci-fi action, some devious sub-plots, a good dash of thought provoking astrophysics, and then brings it home with some real feels that definitely distributes some gusts of dust into the lounge room.

McConahey(?) is masterfully measured and doesn’t go over the top unnecessarily and distract from the story, Hathaway is Hathaway.

Great story, great scenes that move at a good pace.

This movie is one of my favourites and I highly recommend. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Misanthrope

Staff member
Tried rewatching Yes, Man the other day. I remember really liking it at the time of release and even making the vow to become a "yes man" for the week after the film.

Fun fact: Met a girlfriend of two years as a result of not being able to say no to a party invite I would normally have declined.

Anyway, the film just doesn't do it for me anymore. Jim Carrey spazzing out for no reason is just not as funny as I remember it being.

5.5/10

soc123_au

Staff member
Tried rewatching Yes, Man the other day. I remember really liking it at the time of release and even making the vow to become a "yes man" for the week after the film.

Fun fact: Met a girlfriend of two years as a result of not being able to say no to a party invite I would normally have declined.

Anyway, the film just doesn't do it for me anymore. Jim Carrey spazzing out for no reason is just not as funny as I remember it being.

5.5/10
Jim Carrey movies are a bit like that. Great on the first watch, but pretty meh on a second viewing. Dumb & Dumber being the exception.