What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brandy's Top 17 Panthers

Kilkenny

Coach
Bill Ashurst as is well known didn’t always put in 100% and that’s probably being kind but when he did the guy was a freak and great to watch. The game was a lot different back in the 70’s and I doubt some one with his skill set would survive the way the game is played now but he was great to watch we he was ‘on’. He wouldn’t make our best ever side but he was certainly one of the most talented players I have ever seen, sadly, he wasted the talent.

Whino

Bench
Bill Ashurst as is well known didn’t always put in 100% and that’s probably being kind but when he did the guy was a freak and great to watch. The game was a lot different back in the 70’s and I doubt some one with his skill set would survive the way the game is played now but he was great to watch we he was ‘on’. He wouldn’t make our best ever side but he was certainly one of the most talented players I have ever seen, sadly, he wasted the talent.

I never saw him play and most reports I have read say a similar thing. So why did the Panthers name him in their team of legends in 2006?

For the people that saw him play would you have him ahead of Puletua & Geyer?

Kilkenny

Coach
I never saw him play and most reports I have read say a similar thing. So why did the Panthers name him in their team of legends in 2006?

No. Prodigious talent but poor attitude.

GoldCoastPather

Juniors
Yes I totally agree. A brilliant player that could have been one of the greats.

Pomoz

Bench
Brandy's modesty is commendable, but he is our number seven and daylight second. I have watched every single player in that team and I love Royce Simmons but there is no universe in which he is a better hooker than Luke Priddis or even Gower. Priddis for number 9, Alexander for number 7. Royce doesn't make the cut. I would also drop Izzard and put Jennings in his place.

A final twist. If you really want the most creative team ever assembled by Penrith than Van der Voort is dropped. Fittler to lock and Campbell to 6. It now looks like this:

1. Wesser - lightning in a bottle
  2. Gordon - underrated mr reliable and a good finisher
  3. Girdler - Genius
  4. Jennings - everything we don't have in the centres now, speed, defence and class
  5. Lewis - Skillful, versatile and tough as nails
  6. Campbell - jack in the box creative genius with a big heart
  7. Alexander - our organiser general, leaving Campbell to do whatever springs to mind
  8. Clarke - tough and reliable
  9. Priddis - footy smarts, tough as teak and a great motor
  10. Lang - fearless, inspirational and tougher than a Pitball with a machete
  11. Geyer - vastly underrated skills and the dynamite in the pack
  12. Cartwright - Hoss was our workhorse with a sleight of hand and tougher than he was given credit for
  13. Fittler - a creative player with loads of footy smarts and the toughest player I have ever seen
  14. Puletua - don't get T angry. He will crush you
  15. Gower - A skilful versatile player and can full in at lock and hooker as well as the halves
  16. JFH - Can play anywhere in the forwards, has a great short passing team and a motor like a Tour de France rider
  17. Peter Kelly - A man who laughed when Les Davidson punched him in the head. An enforcer who together with Geyer, will make the opposition wish the game was called off due to bad weather.
[Edit - I noticed I have used the word tough many times in my description. To me, toughness is what sets the really great players apart from the rest. The ability to take hits and dish out big collisions is still what wins games and our two premiership teams had it in spades]

Alintheeast

Juniors

Roy Masters was one of the Legends selectors, in 1975/6 when the club split into the Ashurst and Stephenson groups Masters sided with Ashurst. Bill would be “on his day” the best 2nd rower in the world and the kind of character Masters thinks embodies our working class game. Bill was also on the cover of the cover of the 1975 cover of the Penrith phone book.

TheFrog

Coach
Brandy's modesty is commendable, but he is our number seven and daylight second.
I wouldn't say daylight second. Gower is behind him, but well ahead as an inspirational captain. Gower suffers with many due to his troubles off-field.

franklin2323

Immortal
Bit too soon for JFH. But shows how much he is appreciated at every level. Such an outstanding player.

Colin VDV before my time. Looked like a work horse ala Nathan Smith. Can't fit in Fittler at lock with Preston in the 6? Obviously if Alexander picks himself then Gower fills out the bench better.

I am too young to of seen enough of the greats play. Some good players there and if Brandy thinks so good enough for me

He was perhaps the most talented and skilled forward I have seen in my 50 odd years of watching the Panthers. The day he basically single handedly turned a 19-0 deficit against St George into a 25-19 victory is something I will never forget.

Shame there isn’t a recording of this game around. I’m assuming this occurred when the Dragons were a dominant team?

Kilkenny

Coach
Shame there isn’t a recording of this game around. I’m assuming this occurred when the Dragons were a dominant team?

I was at the game. It was truly amazing to witness what Ashurst did that day, or should I say in that last 20 old minutes (my recollection is our five converted tries were all scored in the last 20 minutes). I could be wrong given it was 45 years ago but I seem to recall he scored from one of his trademark chip over the top and regather tries that day. The whole Mick Stephenson v Bill Ashurst feud was sad, particularly given one gave 110% for the club and the other more talented gave when he felt like it. Mick Stephenson remains one of my all time favourite players in so much as he gave everything he had even when his body (chronic back issues) was failing him. For the older fans amongst us they would fondly remember Mick Stephenson had to wear a women’s corset just to support his back to get onto the field. The medical science and physio was not quite so good back in those days.

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
Brandy's modesty is commendable, but he is our number seven and daylight second. I have watched every single player in that team and I love Royce Simmons but there is no universe in which he is a better hooker than Luke Priddis or even Gower. Priddis for number 9, Alexander for number 7. Royce doesn't make the cut. I would also drop Izzard and put Jennings in his place.

A final twist. If you really want the most creative team ever assembled by Penrith than Van der Voort is dropped. Fittler to lock and Campbell to 6. It now looks like this:

1. Wesser - lightning in a bottle
  2. Gordon - underrated mr reliable and a good finisher
  3. Girdler - Genius
  4. Jennings - everything we don't have in the centres now, speed, defence and class
  5. Lewis - Skillful, versatile and tough as nails
  6. Campbell - jack in the box creative genius with a big heart
  7. Alexander - our organiser general, leaving Campbell to do whatever springs to mind
  8. Clarke - tough and reliable
  9. Priddis - footy smarts, tough as teak and a great motor
  10. Lang - fearless, inspirational and tougher than a Pitball with a machete
  11. Geyer - vastly underrated skills and the dynamite in the pack
  12. Cartwright - Hoss was our workhorse with a sleight of hand and tougher than he was given credit for
  13. Fittler - a creative player with loads of footy smarts and the toughest player I have ever seen
  14. Puletua - don't get T angry. He will crush you
  15. Gower - A skilful versatile player and can full in at lock and hooker as well as the halves
  16. JFH - Can play anywhere in the forwards, has a great short passing team and a motor like a Tour de France rider
  17. Peter Kelly - A man who laughed when Les Davidson punched him in the head. An enforcer who together with Geyer, will make the opposition wish the game was called off due to bad weather.
[Edit - I noticed I have used the word tough many times in my description. To me, toughness is what sets the really great players apart from the rest. The ability to take hits and dish out big collisions is still what wins games and our two premiership teams had it in spades]

I really enjoyed reading your summary Pomoz. Can’t argue with any it although in all this debate if it were my top 17 of all time I would have to find a spot for Frank ‘the tank’ Pritchard.

The only thing I would add, given you mention to word ‘tough’ well they was no tougher than Craig Gower. Gowie had a chronic sternum issue, can quite remember what period, but as the story goes he almost every game required needles injected directly into his sternum to get onto the field. I’m not talking for the odd game I’m sure it was for an extended period season or more. The needles in those days were horse needles and basically had to be hammered directly into the sternum. As the legend has it some of his team mates had to leave the dressing room it was so distressing to witness or hear. Different style of player to Greg Alexander but a true great none the less even given his indiscretion at the charity golf day.

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach

His time with us was only short and from my recollection he took off unannounced part of the way through his last season in 1996. If my memory serves me correctly the St George game was in his second season with us in 1975 when the Dragons made the GF but were beaten by the Roosters 38-0 which is more remembered for Changa Langlands wearing white boots that day.

Pomoz

Bench
I really enjoyed reading your summary Pomoz. Can’t argue with any it although in all this debate if it were my top 17 of all time I would have to find a spot for Frank ‘the tank’ Pritchard.

The only thing I would add, given you mention to word ‘tough’ well they was no tougher than Craig Gower. Gowie had a chronic sternum issue, can quite remember what period, but as the story goes he almost every game required needles injected directly into his sternum to get onto the field. I’m not talking for the odd game I’m sure it was for an extended period season or more. The needles in those days were horse needles and basically had to be hammered directly into the sternum. As the legend has it some of his team mates had to leave the dressing room it was so distressing to witness or hear. Different style of player to Greg Alexander but a true great none the less even given his indiscretion at the charity golf day.
I agree about Gowie. That's why he bumped Carter off the bench.He didn't have the flair of Alexander or the running game, but was still a great player. I very nearly chose him at hooker over Priddis, but Priddis's 2003 GF performance sealed the deal.

murraymob

Coach
with all due respect to paul clarke .Peter Kelly is the toughest most professional l front rower to ever pull on a panther jersey.Now for those that never seen him play his era was smack to the head give it cop it when you ran.When he arrived we where a team that crumbled under pressure.He brought respect and toughness to the panthers

TheFrog

Coach
with all due respect to paul clarke .Peter Kelly is the toughest most professional l front rower to ever pull on a panther jersey.Now for those that never seen him play his era was smack to the head give it cop it when you ran.When he arrived we where a team that crumbled under pressure.He brought respect and toughness to the panthers
He was a tough bugger all right, and his deeds are legendary, but he played just 40 games for us at the back end of his career, and was seriously injury prone in his three years with us.

TheFrog

Coach
I agree about Gowie. That's why he bumped Carter off the bench.He didn't have the flair of Alexander or the running game, but was still a great player. I very nearly chose him at hooker over Priddis, but Priddis's 2003 GF performance sealed the deal.
I remember Gower giving none other than Andrew Johns a bath at Newcastle in 2003. It is a disgrace that he has never received his Dally M medal for that year.

Latest posts