What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Financial fragility of the game

taste2taste

Juniors
Negotiating a new deal now is insane.

Why not wait until next year ?

Why the rush to get this deal done for less money by the end of the week?

betcats

Referee
I give you Peter Vlandys, a plant by the media not seen since the likes of David Gallop.

Im sure your dislike of Vlandys has nothing to do with him killing any chance of Perth expansion anytime soon? You are as agenda driven as the media ffs.

Dave Smith liked the idea of Perth so you love him, be less obvious.

Cactus

Juniors
Im sure your dislike of Vlandys has nothing to do with him killing any chance of Perth expansion anytime soon? You are as agenda driven as the media ffs.

The only problem with that of course is it doesn't answer taste2s' very necessary question.

Cactus

Juniors
No guarantee it will be any better if it goes to market would be my guess. This way get 2 years then can tender the rights

IMO, if the deal is done with a drop this year then that tells us it was a mistake to create an extension beyond that.

flippikat

Bench
A strong benevolent dictator is what the game has always needed, not to be run by a committee of club execs. This is going to end very badly.

Exactly. I don't know much about the workings of AFL administration (here in New Zealand, that code is just treated as an oddity), but I suspect that's how they got to where they are in the Aussie sports market today.

We need a CEO who is explicitly, actively PRO-expansion, AND reinvest the revenue from expansion into the grass-roots, AND look after for the smaller clubs.

Case in point, the NRL proposed a "differential funding" model where the little guys got a bit more, but the wealthy clubs shot it down. Yet the clubs/NRL want all clubs to survive "as is"!

betcats

Referee
The only problem with that of course is it doesn't answer taste2s' very necessary question.

Im not trying to answer that question and PR was running down Vlandys before this new deal story came out so no its not a problem. I mean its in his signature, cleary he is off the bloke due to his Perth expansion views - Anything PR says about the bloke should be taken with a grain of salt after that.

shear_joy9

Coach

it really is ridiculous.

One of rugby leagues weakest points in its history and V'landys is allowing news and nine to bend them over a barrel.

V'landys already looks like some superhero villain now his actions are proving him to be one

Perth Red

Post Whore

thanks for the advice, Peter.

Perth Red

Post Whore

we fought so hard to get rid of first and last rights, now we’ve abandoned it all together and not even going to test the market lol. What’s the betting the afl will go to market next year and kill us again in their deal?

IF we get the same amount for 23&24 as this deal, if we keep 3fta games, If we keep simucast for Fox and if we maintain the digital arm then I will doth my cap to Vlandys and hail him a genius. Anything less and he has fcked the game over.

I don't get how the ARLC / Independent Commission are supposed to run whole of game whilst the NRL clubs think & act & argue that they are pretty much whole of game. And large sections of the fanbase and media believe the clubs.

Quicksilver

Bench
Wah wah wah.

who cares. The league is the clubs. End of story. You guys act like there are all these other places crying out for a team. Need flash- there isn’t.
There are maybe two viable expansion options- Perth and Brisbane 2.

and even those places are highly questionable.

betcats

Referee
Wah wah wah.

who cares. The league is the clubs. End of story. You guys act like there are all these other places crying out for a team. Need flash- there isn’t.
There are maybe two viable expansion options- Perth and Brisbane 2.

and even those places are highly questionable.

Further to that our most recent expansion is still fairly questionable in an area that is no doubt a RL area.

Exsilium

First Grade
Not sure how talk of expansion could still have any momentum when many of the current clubs and to an extent, the NRL, are run so poorly.

Latest posts