What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Financial fragility of the game

tri_colours

Juniors
Wtf? Ch9 want to see even more money going to the clubs! Clearly don’t think over 40% of the games money is enough!!

Nine chief executive Hugh Marks says he is “very impressed” with his initial dealings with ARLC chairman Peter V’landys and wants to see the 16 clubs properly funded to ensure the NRL “has a great long-term future that warrants our investment in it.”
“One thing I want to see come out of this is that investment goes back into club footy. It’s the tribalism of rugby league that is its greatest strength. Investment in clubs, players and those communities has been underdone for some years and again that’s something I’m agitating to make sure is part of the recovery so we can see a sport that has a great long-term future that warrants our investment in it.”
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ni...mmitment-to-rugby-league-20200420-p54lf7.html

Last year the nrl spent $293milllion (56% of revenue) on the areas he wants more spending in !

PR if the games bringing in plenty I cant see a problem with the clubs/players getting a good chunk of it. They are the ones that make this all happen.

Perth Red

Post Whore
PR if the games bringing in plenty I cant see a problem with the clubs/players getting a good chunk of it. They are the ones that make this all happen.

Agreed, not a problem except the rise was too great too quick, Greenberg wanted to give clubs $11mill which was still a massive jump on the $8.5mill they were getting, clubs wanted 130% of cap. Clubs pressured Grant into agreeing, effectively taking $32mill out of the game a year. They then had the cheek to want a further $6mill set aside as a bail out fund!

that the increase was so great and came with no kpis or expectations is the real problem. To think giving them a $4.5mill a year increase was going to see them become good businesses and improve their viability was naive in the extreme. After two years of that increase most of them still don’t have two pennies to rub together, many are still running at losses and others are just as reliant on LC top ups.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I read recently where V'landys met with Lachlan Murdoch and he sid we could have a second Brisbane team but no 18th. Is this the future our decisions going through these people.

If we want to expand...do it.

siv

First Grade
Interesting that before LC grant these 2 clubs

Penrith lost $8.3 mil
Dogs lost $4.9 mil

After LC grants

Penrith lost $4.9 mil
Sharks lost $3.3 mil
Manly lost $1.8 mil
Dogs lost $1.0 mil

All other clubs made a profit or broke even

Sharks and Manly didn't get a LC grant

flippikat

Bench
Interesting that before LC grant these 2 clubs

Penrith lost $8.3 mil
Dogs lost $4.9 mil

After LC grants

Penrith lost $4.9 mil
Sharks lost $3.3 mil
Manly lost $1.8 mil
Dogs lost $1.0 mil

All other clubs made a profit or broke even

Sharks and Manly didn't get a LC grant

Gees... with the clubs closed for a chunk of this year, the Panthers & Dogs must surely be in some strife.

Perth Red

Post Whore
2019 annual reports

Cronulla Sharks
football revenue
NRL Grant $13.5mill
Sponsors and Box sales $5.6mill
Memberships $1.9mill
Gate sales $919.5k
Merch $356k
Total $22.275mill
$3.2 mill loss
https://www.sharks.com.au/siteasset...cronulla-sutherland-leagues-club-limited_.pdf

Roosters
football revenue
NRL Grant $13.3miill
Sponsors and Box sales $8.9mill
Memberships $1.8mill
Gate sales $1.9mill
Merch $723k
Total $26.6mill (+$2.1mill LC Grant & $1mill other revenue) FC operating costs $29.7mill
https://www.roosters.com.au/siteassets/2020/documents/sr2019-annualreport-spreads_opt.pdf

Eels
football revenue
NRL Grant $12.7mill
Sponsors and Box sales $6.8mill
Memberships & Gate sales $5.6mill
Merch $700k
Total $25.7mill
FC Loss for the year $5.2million
https://www.parraleagues.com.au/content/uploads/2020/01/2019-Eels-annual-report.pdf

Cowboys
FC profit of $400k, FC and LC $1.4million profit for year
https://cowboysleagues.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/CLC-Annual-Report-2019-WEB-1.pdf

The Marshall

Juniors
Gees... with the clubs closed for a chunk of this year, the Panthers & Dogs must surely be in some strife.
The Dogs are paying off a $50 mil loan for renovations at $10 mil a year so that accounts for their loss. It's not ideal to have that type of loan at the minute and it will probably take them a couple of years to start printing money again but they'll be fine.

TheRam

Coach
I posted this in the Parra forum, but I thought I may as well post it here too.

If what is being reported is true, that the NRL(V'landys) is actually going to take or succumb to CH9's request to decentralise the game and give the clubs MORE power, then I give up.

The game will always be a freakin basket case and ultimately will be lucky to remain the second most popular football code in Australia, already down one from the early 90's when it used to be number one.

So let me get this right. The head of NINE reckons that the NRLC has failed in its duty to govern and strengthen the game and its investments, which is true at some level. But then as the solution demands that they relinquish their power to the most self interested group within the game, the CLUBS!

Wow, just WOW!!! And none of those dickwods, including Kent, have anything to say about this? Especially Kent who had very little to say about the clubs getting $13m and actually agreed at the time that the players deserved all that money, but now after the fact started to jump up and down that the game was living beyond its means and should never agreed to it in the first place. Yes Kent, some of us do have a memory. You initially made some grumbling remarks on your 360 show, but then within a few weeks you jumped on board and praised it as being the right move for the clubs and players, which it was, but hello....what about the GAME? Nothing to say about that? No I suppose not, well not until the COVID-19 outbreak, then you are a genius that could always see this coming. WOW!

No, this is the time you should be screaming and never shut up Kent about the CLUBS potentially getting all the power to run themselves, not like some pretend genius after the inevitable collapse of the game that will surely follow.

A strong benevolent dictator is what the game has always needed, not to be run by a committee of club execs. This is going to end very badly. Kind of like when the game was run under Humphreys and the 42 man committee that was made up of former club men and players that nudge, nudge, wink, wink knew what was best for the game. Talk about regression. This will only benefit the TV Networks who know by having a weak and divisive bunch of self interested rabble running the game it will never grow and therefore the price of the TV rights will always be compromised in their favour.

Oh dear...not good.

big hit!

Bench
so i've read about a rights extension to ch 9 and fox, but no details. I assume that means they've extended the current deal and the shit show of a schedule (thu night and fri 6pm) until 2025?

franklin2323

Immortal
so i've read about a rights extension to ch 9 and fox, but no details. I assume that means they've extended the current deal and the shit show of a schedule (thu night and fri 6pm) until 2025?

Details will be key here. How cheap was it and would it of gotten that elsewhere