What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Sweden didn't shut down and they have contained it well. Less deaths than a flu season. The question is going to be should we have just done that and accept a couple thousand deaths rather than ruin our economy with the likelihood of many thousands of deaths.

You made this up. Sweden reported 505 flu deaths for the 2018/2019 flu season.

https://www.folkhalsomyndigheten.se...kationsarkiv/i/influenza-in-sweden/?pub=63511

So far in 2 months there have been 2,462 recorded Covid-19 deaths and the trajectory is going up. Unless a change in strategy, they could hit 50,000+.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/sweden/

lockyno1

Post Whore
I'd be happy with post season. But honestly, if it is mid-season, Origin is all the media is concerned with when it is on so wall to wall Origin will actually drown out any other sports that are on during that time. It would be a nightmare three weeks for Union and AFL.

The Oceania Cup being run on the side gives TV content and gives the Pacific and NZ their own ''Origin'' to look forward to each year.

No it wouldn’t be a nightmare it would be a dream. There would be only 3 games that many worry about. These Oceania matches should be post season. The thing that stuffs the season is the non continuity. NRL then finals then Origin. It just makes sense.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

Players are reportedly facing a 20 per cent pay cut to their overall 2020 salary after their threat to ‘revolt’ pushed the NRL into action.

The Sydney Morning Herald reports Cameron Smith and a number of other senior players threw their support behind the Warriors, who are baulking at the season restarting before a new pay deal can be agreed.

The players are considering boycotting a key Monday meeting in a move that could jeopardise the NRL’s planned May 28 return.

A phone hook-up between the RLPA and club delegates took place on Thursday afternoon where they were told to be prepared for the worst-case scenario of a 52 per cent pay cut for the final five months of their salary. This would amount to a 20 per cent pay cut over the entire year.

The NRL is locked in big broadcast negotiations with key partners Foxtel and Channel Nine.

lets see...........reportedly......................are considering.............

so nothing but speculation from Foxsports, I'm shocked

peter file

Juniors
Use of force by a footballer against women? And of course they might have been let in/invited by his sister, who might be one of them. He could have holed up in his room and played chess online while the five babes were there, of course.

Test the f**ker.
He might f**k the tester ...

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Sweden didn't shut down and they have contained it well. Less deaths than a flu season. The question is going to be should we have just done that and accept a couple thousand deaths rather than ruin our economy with the likelihood of many thousands of deaths.

Sounds like you're posting fake news. Another unfortunate and too common feature of this pandemic.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Use of force by a footballer against women? And of course they might have been let in/invited by his sister, who might be one of them. He could have holed up in his room and played chess online while the five babes were there, of course.

Test the f**ker.

No that's not plausible, I agree. And that's why he wasn't spoken to by police, and that's probably why 60% of his 10k fine was suspended.

But then he lied, so he f**ked himself square and true.

big hit!

Bench

this is the problem with the NRL setting a return date publicly, and nutting out details later.

All we've been hearing about are all the issues re govt not being aware, clubs not consulted, broadcasting agreement dramas, players wages, RL media personalities being aggressive to any one with a conflicting opinion, etc

Continues to make Rugby League look aggressive and amateurish in how it deals

Last edited:

moffla

Bench
I actually don't hate the idea of a mid season winter "break" in which origin and Oceania tests are played. Could also act as a transfer window/loan period between clubs who have been decimated with injury or those looking to make change. Doubt this would at all a popular opinion but IMO would give struggling teams a glimmer of hope to get a season back on track.

King hit

Coach
Will be very interesting to see how origin goes on a back to back to back thing. I’ve always felt that origin is a game that requires a week preparation so seeing how it handles something different will be interesting.

King hit

Coach
I'm also waiting for something more than the NRL making it official. The Chief Medical Officer or something from the State government. That said, I hope it happens. Plus, the rate of lifting the restrictions seems to be heading in the same direction.

Meanwhile, the Qld Premier appears to have agreed in principle. This is being reported in the Courier Mail. But unfortunately there is a paywall, so can't get past the headline. Maybe someone can post the rest.

Queensland premier gives backing to NRL season relaunch plans
Queensland premier gives backing to NRL season relaunch plans.
Peter Badel and Travis Meyn, The Courier-Mail. April 28, 2020 4:18pm.

More: https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...s/news-story/2cd23ad121de9bdcdd7aa4959498fdb6
Probably doesn’t want to lose more popularity. Was strongly against and now she is backing it.