What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reminders of your childhood

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Matchbox cars remember the smell when you opened up the box.
P0.jpg

You just reminded me of collectable cards

Wicked-Cool-Toys-Micro-Machines.jpg

I still have plenty of these for when my nephews pop over.

I'll definitely to keep these if I have a son

Are how about these ones:

001-jpg.46120

I still have some of these.

Those road lamps used to be around a lot in the 60s and early 70s, two of the ones I have have the oil/ kerosene burner still inside , not sure whether I would try to use them though, have plans to put them out on balcony eventually and will probably put tea lights in them, always been fascinated by them.
Yes miss the old cracker night, the bungers and throw downs, satellites, parachutes, Roman candles and sky rockets.

The lamps will add some atmosphere and conjure up journeys past.

Just getting back to cars for a moment, youngsters here might be shocked to learn that when you bought a car before the 1990’s, there was a general expectation that if taken care of, it had almost an unlimited life. None of this 3 or 4 year warrantee stuff.

If anything went wrong in 5 years, you would be shocked. Dealers cared about repeat business. No arguments.

Luxury European cars were amazing, much better built than today in relative terms. They were genuinely prestigious

Now they are pieces of crap now thanks to over-engineering and crap electronics they are a joke. I think the people and companies buying them are imbeciles.

I think a new sunbird with a few techie things and Camry engine might go well in western Sydney, so long as Holden don’t have anything to do with it.

horrie hastings

First Grade
The lamps will add some atmosphere and conjure up journeys past.

Just getting back to cars for a moment, youngsters here might be shocked to learn that when you bought a car before the 1990’s, there was a general expectation that if taken care of, it had almost an unlimited life. None of this 3 or 4 year warrantee stuff.

If anything went wrong in 5 years, you would be shocked. Dealers cared about repeat business. No arguments.

Luxury European cars were amazing, much better built than today in relative terms. They were genuinely prestigious

Now they are pieces of crap now thanks to over-engineering and crap electronics they are a joke. I think the people and companies buying them are imbeciles.

I think a new sunbird with a few techie things and Camry engine might go well in western Sydney, so long as Holden don’t have anything to do with it.

Have had my Holden Cruze from 2005, basically a Suzuki under the bonnet, it's been great and hardly has missed a beat, still going strong and has hardly bled money over the years, I'm going cry when it finally goes but it is just about 15 years old so I have to be realistic , but at the moment it stills purrs like a kitten so until it goes I will keep it, besides the roads around the local area with all the westconnex works are terrible so I wouldn't subject a new car to it.

What you mentioned about service back then is true, father bought a Kingswood from Boyded Randwick in 1974 and their service was second to none, father had the car for years, can't remember how long he actually had the car for but It was over 20 years.

Have had my Holden Cruze from 2005, basically a Suzuki under the bonnet, it's been great and hardly has missed a beat, still going strong and has hardly bled money over the years, I'm going cry when it finally goes but it is just about 15 years old so I have to be realistic , but at the moment it stills purrs like a kitten so until it goes I will keep it, besides the roads around the local area with all the westconnex works are terrible so I wouldn't subject a new car to it.

What you mentioned about service back then is true, father bought a Kingswood from Boyded Randwick in 1974 and their service was second to none, father had the car for years, can't remember how long he actually had the car for but It was over 20 years.

Yeah, the earlier Cruzes were pretty good, Sydney is hell for cars. I’m in a second hand Lexus but I am planning to keep it for awhile. I just try to get good second hand cars, miss the depreciation and drive them into the ground.

I’ve had a few cars over the years, not too loyal to brand. I liked different things about the different makes.

I did the maths on your dads hq, wow! he would have paid about $4k for it or in today’s money pro rata, about $36k.

That’s way more expensive than my Lexus was!

When your dad asked the lad at the service station to fill ‘er up, it was an expensive undertaking about $45.00 in 1974 dollars.

Given the average bloke was making $8k a year, that’s a massive investment. On my calculations, he should have managed 7 or 8 litres per 100kms.

I could be wrong, but $45 in a well kept 2005 Cruze goes a long long way.

Probably at Randwick, very central, people could walk about and get good and cheap buses in 1974. You could have gotten to many places in Sydney pretty easily.

Down at the shops he was paying 25 cents for a loaf of bread and a bit less than that for a pint of milk.

I just checked the 2020 Commodore, yep, pound for pound, it cost about the same as your dads HQ!!

But I dare say, it lacks the character and perhaps the romance of the HQ.

In those days, a family car was the genuine article. The guy who drove one was in command of all that he saw.

Last edited:

horrie hastings

First Grade

I did the maths on your dads hq, wow! he would have paid about $4k for it or in today’s money pro rata, about $36k.

That’s way more expensive than my Lexus was!

When your dad asked the lad at the service station to fill ‘er up, it was an expensive undertaking about $45.00 in 1974 dollars.

Given the average bloke was making $8k a year, that’s a massive investment. On my calculations, he should have managed 7 or 8 litres per 100kms.

Probably at Randwick, very central, people could walk about and get good and cheap buses in 1974. You could have gotten to many places in Sydney pretty easily.

I remember when he bought the Kingswood in 1974 and it was around $4,000, before that growing up in Paddington we didn't have a car, , we moved to Kingsford on NYE 1970, in 1972 he bought a second hand car off a work mate for $300, it was an old Holden from around 1962-63, it did its job until he bought the Kingswood, the Kingswood did lots of trips up the coast to Evans Head and Port Macquarie, with the older Holden and then the Kingswood it used to get filled up mostly at the Caltex on the corner of Barker St and Botany st at Randwick,there was a Shell diagonally opposite which has long gone and the Caltex turned into a 7/11 years ago, last time i went past the 7/11 was still there but being refurbished.
Where we lived at Kingsford bus travel was easy to Bondi Jct and the city and also out to Maroubra and further, i was used to catching buses from not having the car in earlier years.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Yeah, the earlier Cruzes were pretty good, Sydney is hell for cars. I’m in a second hand Lexus but I am planning to keep it for awhile. I just try to get good second hand cars, miss the depreciation and drive them into the ground.

Yep while the roads are crap the Cruze will be driven into the ground, apart from a couple of minor things that can happen with any car it hasn't missed a beat. The car usually gets an annual run up to Grassy Head around Feb or March, leave Sydney[ inner west] on a full tank and even though don't really need to top up at Nabiac so we still have plenty of fuel to drive around when we get there.Took the car further north back in 2009 or 2010 when it was still pretty young[ almost certain it was 2010], left Sydney on a full tank and didn' t stop till Kempsey when it was getting very low. coming back from Grassy Head this March, filled up at Kempsey and made it all the way back to Sydney no problems on that tank although it was low so the car could do the same distance on a full tank now as it it did back in 2010, mind you the road up north is so much better now so that may have contributed to good fuel consumption coming back this year compared to 2010.

Some good memories.

On a relative cost basis, back in 74, your dad was paying the equivalent of over $300 in today’s money to fill ‘er up.

Mates dad had a 1975 Premier. That was luxury.

I was looking at housing, say based on relative prices, an average house in Sydney should not cost more than $280k in 2020.

I think it’s pretty unfair to young people that the prices are too high now.

Plus I’m getting sick of banks etc telling us how great they are during the co vid.

They should tell us the truth and say they exist for executive management and large shareholders.

If there’s a buck in it for them, they’d have us hugging each other in their queues.

Social conscience my ass!

Banks used to open at 10 and close at 3, an hour for lunch and no atms.

Last edited:

horrie hastings

First Grade
With the announcement of the Event cinema complex being demolished in George St reminded me of when the Hoyts complex was first built and opened in i think 1976, made think of some of wonderful cinemas we had before the multiplexes came in.

This is George St, the Rapallo on the left and the Paramount on the right, further right of the picture is where the Hoyts development went.

untitled.png

horrie hastings

First Grade
A later pic where you can see a small part the Hoyts centre

23846540004_ddcd8cdfc2.jpg

Across the road in the block you had The Plaza Theatre and The Century

The Paramount and Rapallo were later demolished for the Greater Union centre.

axl rose

Bench
With the announcement of the Event cinema complex being demolished in George St reminded me of when the Hoyts complex was first built and opened in i think 1976, made think of some of wonderful cinemas we had before the multiplexes came in.

This is George St, the Rapallo on the left and the Paramount on the right, further right of the picture is where the Hoyts development went.

View attachment 38315
Lived in Cremorne back in the day. Loved going to the Hayden Orpheum. Photo doesn't do it justice. upload_2020-5-14_23-35-4.jpeg

View attachment 38315

The George st cinemas are going? Any news on what is replacing them?

horrie hastings

First Grade
I'll miss cinemas in general when the're gone.

The George St ones though never had any charm on my lifetime. always full of yahoos.

Yep i agree, i have fond memories of the cinemas that were in that area before the George St multiplexes opened, The Plaza, The Century, The Rapallo and The Paramount were all in that section of George St.