What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reminders of your childhood

WI wouldn’t care. Lol. But it’s pretty cringeworthy now. The casual racism pretty prevalent.

The $$$ they were getting playing in Australia was huge. There’s interview footage of Michael Holding describing him updating his passbook at the bank and he’d received his WSC salary and the teller and he nearly fainted.

You have to give it to Packer, the promotion and merchandising of the game was second to none.

Talking old cricket, when I was a kid around 82-84, I remember Rod Marsh promoting a Streets or Peters or Paul’s ice cream. Can anyone remember which one? I seem to remember lick a prize but I can’t find any ads or promo material.

horrie hastings

First Grade
WI wouldn’t care. Lol. But it’s pretty cringeworthy now. The casual racism pretty prevalent.

The $$$ they were getting playing in Australia was huge. There’s interview footage of Michael Holding describing him updating his passbook at the bank and he’d received his WSC salary and the teller and he nearly fainted.

You have to give it to Packer, the promotion and merchandising of the game was second to none.

Talking old cricket, when I was a kid around 82-84, I remember Rod Marsh promoting a Streets or Peters or Paul’s ice cream. Can anyone remember which one? I seem to remember lick a prize but I can’t find any ads or promo material.

Cant say i remember anything about Rod Marsh promoting any ice creams but i'm sure he did a Johnsons Baby Powder ad at some time but i cant find anything about that either.

But i did find this with Boonie, Marshie and Greg Ritchie.

soc123_au

Staff member
Onions served in malt vinegar

Anyone still do this?
Reminds me of my Nans salad. Picking out the last onions left in the bottom after Sunday lunch brings back memories.

Malt vinegar on hot chips goes alright. Another one I havent had for years though.

Parra

Referee
Reminds me of my Nans salad. Picking out the last onions left in the bottom after Sunday lunch brings back memories.

Malt vinegar on hot chips goes alright. Another one I havent had for years though.

Same reminder for me. Was making salad recently, this time of year, just came to mind. Definitely a thowback. A good one.

It wasn’t that bad, very strong pacifist message but obviously of it’s period in many respects.

The treatment of nurses, some of the portrayal of Koreans was pretty bad.

Not enough scripts for minor roles.

Against that, contempt for power and regimentation. Something George Lucas is very keen on as he tracks the decline of American exceptionalism.

I think they used humour to criticise war and that is a tradition. Plenty of jokes in ww1 trenches as blokes prepared to be slaughtered. The futility of it.

Not sure if kids today understand these things as well as they might. Not interested I guess.

Last edited:

horrie hastings

First Grade
Not quite my child hood, was in my late teens and early 20's when this was originally aired on TV, 7 TWO has been showing this during the day so i watched four episodes of it today, talk about memories.

Mike Oxbigg

Juniors
Not pickled onions as I know them. These are sliced fresh brown onion in a bowl. Pour malt vinegar over them. Serve as part of a salad.
I often slice up an onion and a cucumber (a real one, not a Lebanese one) and soak them in a bowl of vinegar before picking them out and eating with a bit of salt.

horrie hastings

First Grade
I often slice up an onion and a cucumber (a real one, not a Lebanese one) and soak them in a bowl of vinegar before picking them out and eating with a bit of salt.

Had lunch down at the Ulladulla fish co op years ago and they just had a side dish of spanish onion soaked in vinegar, simplicity at its best.

Parra

Referee
images

roofromoz

First Grade

I remember him doing radio ads for FAI, maybe early 90s