What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT - In these weird times

sup42

Juniors
Sorry for the delay in replay, stepped away from a lot of online stuff during the madness as life and work got very busy and this pandemic became all consuming needing to keep on top of information to keep the public informed about topics very similar to this question and try to reduce some of the anxiety out there.

In short I see no issue and since this time it has been stated by WHO (who many are losing faith in, sad when they have done such good, but we are always remembered for the bad we do).
Some doctor saw a couple of patients not improved and ibuprofen on their medication list. Media jumped on it.

The above caused a massive run on paracetamol and forced it to go behind the counter at the pharmacy.

Supplies on some medications still restrained from suppliers eg Ventolin and there was a real threat it was going to become unavailable.

Will keep reading through the thread as about 6 weeks behind.

Things have settled down, but workload increased and closest I've come to burnout. Just kept thinking about those that have lost their jobs (including wife) during this all and lucky to have a job.
Thanks for the reply. That will do me.
Overall I am very pleased with how the covid situation is going in the Anzac countries.
Sounds like you have been flat out. Not surprising. Gee that run on Ventolin sounds scary, as you know it is a life saver for some people having an acute attack.

Meth

Staff member
Bridges gone. 'The victim of enduring stardust', as one journalist put it.

JJ

Immortal
He’s no more shit than the rest of them...

Stardust smoke and mirrors are what the people want atm

I think the only thing Ardern did as an MP was study John Key closely...

Cult of personality, just like the US sadly

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
He’s no more shit than the rest of them...

Stardust smoke and mirrors are what the people want atm

I think the only thing Ardern did as an MP was study John Key closely...

Cult of personality, just like the US sadly

Unfortunately for him the media never put out the nice fluff articles such as getting his hair dyed at home etc

Reactions: JJ

JJ

Immortal
I don’t get why people think she’s great... nor why there’s so much vitriol about Bridges

Rich102

Staff member
Simon was the Andrew Little of the Nats. Didn't come across.

Suprised Chris Luxton didn't stand. Any ideas why?

I personally would settle for another term of Labour, though they are very short of capable ministers, if it meant goodbye to the Greens, Maori & NZ First.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Simon was the Andrew Little of the Nats. Didn't come across.

Suprised Chris Luxton didn't stand. Any ideas why?

I personally would settle for another term of Labour, though they are very short of capable ministers, if it meant goodbye to the Greens, Maori & NZ First.

I think it might finally be time for Winston to hang up the gloves. He’ll effectively be able to go out a winner and claim some of the credit if Lobour win a big enough majority to govern alone, which would suit his ego I think.
NZ generally doesn’t do one-term governments unless they’re truly terrible, and the most dyed in the wool Nat supporter would struggle not to concede that the current government hasn’t done a reasonable job. The deserve a second term, whether they’re good for a third will be the question.

JJ

Immortal
Aside from emotional and practical stuff around crises this has been demonstrably the most incompetent govt ever... delivered almost zero of what the claimed, and where they have (free fees) it’s been a failure

I often vote Labour but they’re hopeless aside from a couple... this isn’t like the Clark era

Juju

Juniors
It's Luxon.

And he's not even a MP yet - he is contesting an electorate in the next election.

Don't worry, National got another bald middle aged man in then mean time.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Aside from emotional and practical stuff around crises this has been demonstrably the most incompetent govt ever... delivered almost zero of what the claimed, and where they have (free fees) it’s been a failure

I often vote Labour but they’re hopeless aside from a couple... this isn’t like the Clark era

as opposed to their predecessors who basically just rode a bouyant economy for three terms without really trying to implement any social programmes? That’s the problems with National, they actually don’t offer anything other than making the rich richer. Which kinda works as a promise if Labour have bungled the economy, but they were doing ok on that front until COVID-19, and now every economy in the world is in the shit so they can’t really be blamed for that. National need an actual social agenda, and not one that’s based on 1950s values.

Juju

Juniors
I don’t get why people think she’s great... nor why there’s so much vitriol about Bridges
These two statement make me think your staggeringly out of touch with the electorate.
Bridges was behaviour as opposition had die hard National voters turning from the party because they simply couldn't stomach voting for him as leader. He was relentlessly negative (a bit like you) instead of presenting aspirational policy that would make NZ a better place.

Ardern is our most popular PM of the last 100% & now revered overseas... that isn't something that just happens - she obviously is doing something that resonates pretty widely.

Juju

Juniors
as opposed to their predecessors who basically just rode a bouyant economy for three terms without really trying to implement any social programmes?
Exactly - before covid they had provided a huge surplus and low unemployment - both important measures under a National government.

Seems like JJ just personally doesn't like JA, The statement that she lacks substance seems to be a common thing from a certain demographic.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Don’t get me wrong I don’t think Labour are fantastic at the day to day stuff. Crisis aside I’d give them a 5-6/10 overall. But combine that with great crisis management (and boy they’ve had to do a lot of that) and the fact that you generally want to give a govt at least two terms to implement policy, there’s zero reason I can think of to turf them unless a compelling alternative is offered- something Bridges utterly failed to do.

JJ

Immortal
as opposed to their predecessors who basically just rode a bouyant economy for three terms without really trying to implement any social programmes? That’s the problems with National, they actually don’t offer anything other than making the rich richer. Which kinda works as a promise if Labour have bungled the economy, but they were doing ok on that front until COVID-19, and now every economy in the world is in the shit so they can’t really be blamed for that. National need an actual social agenda, and not one that’s based on 1950s values.
More of the same was the point I made badly except less competent

If anyone seriously believes Twyford is the guy to lead us out of a recession, we’ll I’m speechless

The identity attacks are pathetic and not worth responding to juju (you know nothing about me) nor are the media half truths...

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
Don’t get me wrong I don’t think Labour are fantastic at the day to day stuff. Crisis aside I’d give them a 5-6/10 overall. But combine that with great crisis management (and boy they’ve had to do a lot of that) and the fact that you generally want to give a govt at least two terms to implement policy, there’s zero reason I can think of to turf them unless a compelling alternative is offered- something Bridges utterly failed to do.
Fair enough too, 5 or 6 out of 10 is fair, but not worth the hype atm, big gaps between rhetoric and delivery

There’s transformation of any kind, they just like saying it. That’s why at the moment centrists are moving there... whether they’ll stay there when wage subsidies and jobs are gone will be interesting... that’s where someone needs to have a plan, don’t see one anywhere atm

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I’d like to see them reset Kiwibuild and pump it HARD as a job creation/economic stimulus programme. Build a shit-tonne of affordable homes and put programmes in place to ensure they go to first home buyers. Screw the property market, it’s going to crash and it should. We love it when everything else becomes more affordable, houses should be no different.

JJ

Immortal
I’d like to see them reset Kiwibuild and pump it HARD as a job creation/economic stimulus programme. Build a shit-tonne of affordable homes and put programmes in place to ensure they go to first home buyers. Screw the property market, it’s going to crash and it should. We love it when everything else becomes more affordable, houses should be no different.
Problem is that was one of those aspirational policies that they didn’t think through and wouldn’t take advice on

Will be interesting to see who has a plan beyond a slogan, that’s who I’ll vote for

Meth

Staff member
or maybe it was just because he’s a bit shit?

a little from column a, a little from column b

he clearly wasn’t going to win the election, but I don’t think his poll slump and premature axing is due to Labour’s record on delivering on their substantial campaign promises

National is shuffling deck chairs atm- not the time for Luxton. Certainly, Muller appears more formidable and more articulate than Bridges (at first glance).

In any democracy, we need a strong opposition and I would suggest especially with a near deified leader.