What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT - In these weird times

Juju

Juniors
The identity attacks are pathetic and not worth responding to juju (you know nothing about me) nor are the media half truths...

That's not an identity attack - more an observation of people making similar statements to you on JA.

Comparing her to Key - she hasn't done anything like promise to not raise GST and do it, pull a waitresses ponytail, push through a worthless flag referendum.

I personally agree aspects of the current government have been underwhelming - but I'm thankful they've been in government in recent times.

For every Twyford there is a equally bad Nat, NZF, Greens MP too.

Meth

Staff member
Muller has been pretty smart thus far. Bridges copped to over reacting to the Government’s response and Muller has said that they have done well, generally. ‘But the first half was about health. The second half of about economic recovery and that’s what we do well’

not sure how true that is of this mob in particular, but it is a very smart political line

Meth

Staff member
NZ generally doesn’t do one-term governments unless they’re truly terrible, and the most dyed in the wool Nat supporter would struggle not to concede that the current government hasn’t done a reasonable job. The deserve a second term, whether they’re good for a third will be the question.

I voted for this government and I think they’ve been shit, generally and that their failure and their blemishes have been covered by perfectly timed (and generally well-managed) crises of historic scale.

The opposition just hasn’t been credible enough

Meth

Staff member
Don’t get me wrong I don’t think Labour are fantastic at the day to day stuff. Crisis aside I’d give them a 5-6/10 overall. But combine that with great crisis management (and boy they’ve had to do a lot of that) and the fact that you generally want to give a govt at least two terms to implement policy, there’s zero reason I can think of to turf them unless a compelling alternative is offered- something Bridges utterly failed to do.

5-6 is charitable- which is not necessarily uncalled for.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
5-6 is charitable- which is not necessarily uncalled for.
Probably true. If I’m cutting them some slack it’s based mainly on the fact that they’re green- they were in opposition a long time and Adern is obviously very young for a PM. I’d expect them to learn from their first term and do better, especially if Labour have an improved mandate. (Winston obviously have that excuse, but we all know who he is. I still give him a pass because hes done his job as a minority partner and hasn’t thrown his toys and destabilised the government- something he would’ve done in the past). Keeping a coalition with elements as disparate as the Greens and NZ First together can’t be easy.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

JJ

Immortal
But it also notes National offered absolutely nothing as an alternative. Also correctly noted that Paula Bennett is toxic and didn’t deserve to be anywhere near government ever again after the utter disgrace of the meth testing scandal. Good riddance.
Yep interesting

JJ

Immortal
you say that like it’s news?
No more that a journalist can write a balanced piece, especially on a politically aligned web site... like the quality of politicians the quality of journalists isn’t at a high point...

sup42

Juniors
To say Adern is all personality is rubbish.

You cannot perform well in a crises through personality, ask Boris, and Donald.

Adern has been outstanding in our countries two worst crisis in modern times.

Take a look at the terror attacks, had our leader not reached out to the entire muslim world, we would have joined a long list of western countries that are targets for extremist middle eastern terror groups.

Adern took a big bullseye off our backs...which is why, unlike Aussie, we can go to a cafe and not fear some jihadist is going to shoot us.

That takes skill and is the hallmark of a true leader with Mana. The Muslim world know love when they see it, and they know hate.

But all i read about that incident from conservatives is that she milked it by wearing a scarf on her head. That is just ignorant. And to say she was lucky it happened is bizarre.

Adern gets death threats by right wing terrorist because of that incident. I guarantee that she wishes it never happened.

As for being lucky covid came along...maybe she is charmed, maybe a nuclear war will happen next and she can milk that too. Sorry its just ridiculous.

I was thinking yesterday that if Adern is killed by one of the white males that resent what she stands for....what will be her legacy...

It wont be a legacy of good fortune for landing a succession of crisis.

The world will remember her like Mandela, as a leader who was more than the politic...because this Kiwi girl is just that, a real kiwi girl and people love her for it.
+

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
No more that a journalist can write a balanced piece, especially on a politically aligned web site... like the quality of politicians the quality of journalists isn’t at a high point...

Sorry I thought you meant in reference to the Bennett thing.

Blair

Coach
Sorry I thought you meant in reference to the Bennett thing.

I'm looking forward to us talking footy again.

BTW, I'm not apolitical, far from it. I vote Labor, Labour and, strategically, Greens. But I often think political discussions are fraught with danger on footy forums.

We get on so well, you see.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
The world will remember her like Mandela, as a leader who was more than the politic...someone who used power to uplift the rest of us...because this Kiwi girl is just that, a real kiwi girl and people love her for it.

I love you and your posting sup my man but I can't get in behind the comparison to Mandela.

Ardern is a wonderful, wonderful communicator. Some of the spongey 'nation of 5 million, we're winning' shit in press conferences began to rile me but that's politics, I get it. She can clearly deliver a message well, she's incredibly articulate, intelligent, and can mix softness with seriousness appropriately.

She is a leader - one of the best we've ever had. Early days but maybe one of the best (I don't know any beyond Lange). But as a politician? Well down the list, in my opinion.

Latest posts