What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Captains challenge for forward passes!

mave

Coach
Didn't we have this tech for forward passes, and they still got them wrong.
Less VRef the better as far as I'm concerned.

Would much rather the refs get the odd one wrong than endure more bunker.

unforgiven

Bench
Didn't we have this tech for forward passes, and they still got them wrong.
Less VRef the better as far as I'm concerned.

Would much rather the refs get the odd one wrong than endure more bunker.
Yes we tried having VR decide on forwards passes before and it was an absolute mess.

T-Boon

Coach
Bring back the rule that the attack needs to be back 10 metres from the ruck (it use to be 5 but now it should be 10). That would mean there are way less flat/forward passes thrown.

unforgiven

Bench
No it wouldn't, this era of football is living off the era that played under 5x5. It shouldn't be this easy to run for 50m per set just by throwing flat passes.
The defense would meet the attacking player before the advantage line. You should go invent your own sport that has all your stupid ideas and see if anyone wants to watch it.

T-Boon

Coach
The defense would meet the attacking player before the advantage line. You should go invent your own sport that has all your stupid ideas and see if anyone wants to watch it.

I've got Vlandy's ear. That's why all these great changes. Wait until next season.

kdalymc

Bench
First the call was correct as the person passing the ball had no forward momentum and the ball went 1.5m forward
Wtf?????
He passed it then got stopped. He would have been past the ball had he not been stopped. Hence everyone knowing he pass was fine....

lockyno1

Post Whore
Way overreaction to a 50/50 call, of which live I thought it was forward. Only on replay did it look like it wasn’t. Meh let’s be real Parramatta were clearly the better side.

moffla

Bench
No... not really...not when you have all that technology available... use whatever means you have at your disposal to get the decision right.

It's proven that technology still isn't the foolproof answer. How many times have we seen the bunker rule on something only for this forum to be raging in debate whether the call was right or wrong. At the end of the day a lot of decisions in any sport are based on interpretation.

lockyno1

Post Whore
It's proven that technology still isn't the foolproof answer. How many times have we seen the bunker rule on something only for this forum to be raging in debate whether the call was right or wrong. At the end of the day a lot of decisions in any sport are based on interpretation.

This and furthermore do we want the game to be stoppage after stoppage. Look it’s unfortunate for Manly but it wouldn’t have mattered had they not allowed Parra to get 3 tries in front. One decision doesn’t cost a team a game. It never has really. It’s the easy cop out excuse to blame a ref decision of which most of the time are real 50/50 calls.

T-Boon

Coach
If it is caught in front of where it is passed then it should be assume to be a forward pass.
Most of the time they should be called forward - even if they were arguably flat out of the hand.
The only time they shouldn't be forward is when the ref is certain that it went backwards out of the hands. It would be rare that they are certain.
They should get tougher on forward passes not softer (eg dummy half forward passes).
The rule outlawing forward passes is one the most fundamental rule in the game.

If the defense is too strong now that we have to consider allowing forward passes (as we do with most dummy half ones) then we should go to 11 aside. I would rather go to 11 aside then legalise forward passing.

lockyno1

Post Whore
If it is caught in front of where it is passed then it should be assume to be a forward pass.
Most of the time they should be called forward - even if they were arguably flat out of the hand.
The only time they shouldn't be forward is when the ref is certain that it went backwards out of the hands. It would be rare that they are certain.
They should get tougher on forward passes not softer (eg dummy half forward passes).
The rule outlawing forward passes is one the most fundamental rule in the game.

If the defense is too strong now that we have to consider allowing forward passes (as we do with most dummy half ones) then we should go to 11 aside. I would rather go to 11 aside then legalise forward passing.

The amount of forward passes dummy halves throw is by far and away the biggest blight on the game. The worst thing is we are seeing the young hookers come in and do it. I watched Grant closely for the Tigers and he’d have dead set thrown 50 of them forward.

84 Baby

Referee
The amount of forward passes dummy halves throw is by far and away the biggest blight on the game. The worst thing is we are seeing the young hookers come in and do it. I watched Grant closely for the Tigers and he’d have dead set thrown 50 of them forward.
Well Grant did learn from the master at it.