What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Captains challenge for forward passes!

T-Boon

Coach
The amount of forward passes dummy halves throw is by far and away the biggest blight on the game. The worst thing is we are seeing the young hookers come in and do it. I watched Grant closely for the Tigers and he’d have dead set thrown 50 of them forward.

Agreed.
I think I have heard it argued that they let them go because they don't get any advantage out of it - which could not be further from the truth or more of an irrelevant consideration.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Agreed.
I think I have heard it argued that they let them go because they don't get any advantage out of it - which could not be further from the truth or more of an irrelevant consideration.

Might as well play NFL if you are saying you “don’t get advantage”.

siv

First Grade
One thing about all momentum related calls

You cant look at them in slow motion

All need to viewed at normal speed. Same goes for forward passes on the run

typicalfan

Coach
Whenever the passer gets belted as he passed like Turbo did, it makes the pass look worse than it is. I don't think video would help.

siv

First Grade
Thats why you need a momentum line or even better a virtual 3D wall that is moving up the field with same velocity as the play just before he passes the ball

Last edited:

footy75

Bench
It's proven that technology still isn't the foolproof answer. How many times have we seen the bunker rule on something only for this forum to be raging in debate whether the call was right or wrong. At the end of the day a lot of decisions in any sport are based on interpretation.

I get it... so if its 50/50 interpretation....refs call.

But some are black and white and monumental f**k ups... look at storm raiders touch judge call at end. Technology fixes that.

IMO use what resources you have at your means to fix howlers. If its not clear cut.... refs call.

Feel like the Manly call should of been at least looked at.

mongoose

Coach
it kind of blows my mind that some people still think it was forward. I thought everyone knew it was the wrong call lol

I think the VR should be able to rule on it, forget captains challenge. The pass was 100% backwards to me and it was a shocking call that ruined the game.

T-Boon

Coach
it kind of blows my mind that some people still think it was forward. I thought everyone knew it was the wrong call lol

I think the VR should be able to rule on it, forget captains challenge. The pass was 100% backwards to me and it was a shocking call that ruined the game.

What amazes me is that people think they can tell one way or another if its forward/backwards/flat by looking at the angle of the guys hands. I think Andrew Johns came up with that theory. It seems dubious.

It's proven that technology still isn't the foolproof answer. How many times have we seen the bunker rule on something only for this forum to be raging in debate whether the call was right or wrong. At the end of the day a lot of decisions in any sport are based on interpretation.

The following article taken from the NRL's website actually shows that up in great detail -

Forward pass conundrum: cameras show conflicting views
Author: Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp: Tue 9 Jun 2020, 06:31 PM

NRL head of football Graham Annesley initially believed a forward pass call against Storm halfback Jahrome Hughes last Friday had been wrong and a review appeared to confirm his opinion.

However, another camera angle taken from the opposite side of the field at AAMI Park later supported the decision to rule against Hughes in the 15th minute of Melbourne's 22-8 defeat of South Sydney.

Annesley showed the conflicting footage during his weekly football briefing on Tuesday to demonstrate why using video to rule on forward passes was not a solution unless the Bunker had access to better technology.

"My initial reaction both watching the game and again when I looked at it this morning was that the touch judge got this call wrong," Annesley said.

"This is exactly the same footage from opposite sides of the field and both present quite a different picture of what took place.

"From the angle on the main camera side you would say that is probably a wrong call by the touch judge, but this is the same pass from the other side of the field, [taken] from a backpack camera.

"There's Hughes, his hands appear to be facing forward and it appears to be caught in front of him. That's what the touch judge saw and that is the decision that the touch judge made.

"It is obviously a very close call but from one viewing you would suggest it is just plain wrong; on this viewing you would have to say I am not so sure any longer.

"That's the conundrum we would face if the video referee was ruling on forward passes at the moment with the technology that we have available."

Debate about the use of video for forward passes was reignited after last Saturday night's incorrect ruling that cost Manly winger Reuben Garrick the match-winning try in the final minute of the game against Parramatta.

Fox Sports had a tracking camera on the sideline nearest to where Tom Trbojevic passed to Garrick that showed the pass had been delivered back out of hands but travelled forward, as is allowed.

Touch judge Liam Kennedy drew his conclusion after Trbojevic's momentum was halted in a crunching tackle as he delivered the pass and Garrick received the ball in front of him touch judge.

A similar incident in Melbourne, in which Josh Addo-Carr received the ball several metres in front of where Cameron Smith had delivered the pass was never questioned as the Storm captain continued running.

That call was correct, but Annesley asked whether fans and commentators would have had a different view if Smith had been stopped at the point where he delivered the pass and had been behind Addo-Carr when he caught the ball.

While broadcasters have begun using a tracking camera on one side of the field, Annesley said it the NRL did expect Channel Nine or Fox Sports to provide infrastructure to help officiate the game.

The NRL is monitoring the development of limb technology, which may assist in determining the direction a pass came out of a player’s hands when delivering a pass.

davi

Juniors
I'm warning you Peter Vlandys, don't even think about it. There is already too many stoppages from the Bunker as there currently is. I'm shocked there is a poll like this. Where do you draw the line with using the Bunker? The game needs some flow to it. But considering Vlandys has talked alot about listening to the fans and the fact he is trigger happy in changing the rules. I wouldn't be surprised if he acted on this.

Fans’ Poll: Why it’s time for the NRL to allow the Bunker to rule on forward passes

The fans have spoken and it’s time to bunker down on forward pass howlers.

The 2020 NRL Fans’ Poll, run in conjunction with nrl.com, has revealed punters are sick of forward passes escaping the Bunker’s examination with more than 77 per cent of voters agreeing the video referee should be able to intervene.

Forward passes are one of the few areas of play exempt from video referee scrutiny and it’s thrown a spanner in the works more than once in 2020.

The most notable case came in Round 4 when Manly were denied victory against Parramatta after the Sea Eagles were denied a fair try in the dying seconds in the match.

Of the fans surveyed, 42 per cent believe the Bunker should only rule on forward passes in try scoring situations.

The major innovations introduced under ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys’ administration — the move back to one referee, the six again rule and the captain’s challenge — all got a big tick from the fans.

More than 81 per cent believed the six-again rule was good for the sport and 94 per cent want to retain the captain’s challenge.

On the whole, fans attitudes towards referees seem to be improving — 68 per cent rated their performance as a three out of five or higher.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...s/news-story/f504059878bc06715517c87774483409

T-Boon

Coach
Get rid of captains challenge - make it coaches challenge, give each team 2 challenges each and only review the on field decision (such as for tries) if the coach challenges it, allow challenges for forward passes.

Latest posts