What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Captains challenge for forward passes!

Tryhard

Juniors
I'm not a Manly supporter but you don't have to be to be peeved at that last forward pass decision.
Great the NRL have admitted the mistake and issue, but I don't think the second ref would stop these bad decisions.

I THINK THE SINGLE REF IS GREAT BUT CAPTAINS CHALLENGE SHOULD BE ALLOWED FOR FORWARD PASSES. I ALSO THINK THERE SHOULD BE TWO CHALLENGES ALLOWED (IT WOULD STILL BE WAY FASTER AND MORE CORRECT THAN GOING BACK TO 2ND REF).

Just my opinion, and would be interested to know if others agree.

Incorrect

Coach
Given forward passes cannot be ruled on by the bunker/video ref, then how would a captains challenge for forward passes be heard??

AnonymousLurker

Juniors
If start doing them on forward passes even if bunker could rule them , the game would be one big captain challenge ,there are plenty that don’t get called during a game. ‘if you want it challenged on those called , should have challenge on those not called

Tryhard

Juniors
Given forward passes cannot be ruled on by the bunker/video ref, then how would a captains challenge for forward passes be heard??
It would need to be ruled on by bunker/video ref. As with other reviews it would have to be conclusive to be overturned.

I'm not a Raiders supporter either but would actually like it to apply to 'six again' if it results in a try/stoppage, but don't want to cloud this issue.

siv

First Grade
First the call was correct as the person passing the ball had no forward momentum and the ball went 1.5m forward

Annesley was wrong in his post match call. Must be scared of Vladys

You will need the swimming style line

But needs to move forward with the forward velocity of the player as he passes it

I would like to see the line introduced for offsides from a kick

First the call was correct as the person passing the ball had no forward momentum and the ball went 1.5m forward

But needs to move forward with the forward velocity of the player as he passes it

I agree on kicks. It would be pretty simple to overlay “grid lines” point-to-point across the ground.

I’m against video ref ruling on forward passes but if they did the only way I can see it working is akin to an lbw referral in cricket.. must meet criteria..

1 - Did the ball travel forward from the passing point to the receiving point. If No.. not a forward pass. If yes... go to 2..

2 - is the receiving player behind the point of the ball at the point of release. If No... forward pass** If Yes.. Go to 3..

** in the case where the receiver is running back toward their own tryline, ie back onside.. #1 would take care of this.

3 - Does the passer project the ball backwards out of the hands... IE - which direction does the palms of the passer face at the release point.. behind the release point, in line with the release point, in front of the release point..

That’s the mother to be able to rule on. Very tricky, technical. And in the flow of a game, it could take a ridiculously long time to rule on if it goes to working out 3. And in the case the ball is being passed from right to left (ie away from the main tv cameras) it could be impossible to tell.

And even if ruled on by a video ref, people will likely dispute the resulting ruling. Last nights pass is still being debated today. So on this basis I don’t think forward passes should be ruled on by a video ref.

Last edited:

KeepingTheFaith

Referee

That's not how physics works.

Turbo was moving forward when he passed the ball, that momentum is transferred to the ball upon releasing it for the pass. That's what causes all passes to float forward.

The fact that he got stopped milliseconds after releasing the ball has zero to do with the momentum transferred to the ball when executing the pass.

Bazal

Post Whore
The thing about calls like this is that if the Kaufusi no try had been given (and IMO it should have been), then no one cares about that pass this morning with a 24-16 scoreline. People only care because of the situation.

It was lineball and definitely wound up going forward in the end. Seen plenty let go and just as many called up.

I think if you're going to start expecting touchies to correctly call the direction of the ball the second it leaves the hand from 30m away, best to start working on a robot.

Lord knows we've been on the wrong end of plenty of those 50/50 forward passes over the years.

ReddFelon

Juniors
I mean yeah it should be, otherwise the challenge can only be used for knock ons. Unfortunately though you will never erase NRL referee incompetence, they are by a country mile the worst sporting officials of any code.

It's pointless anyway, until something changes drastically you will always have a bunch of nasally pussies who spend so much time trying to fly under the radar that when they make a call it is typically wrong because they haven't been making any in the 78 minutes prior.

Just look at the way the ref in the Sharks/Cowboys game was cowering and apologising to players. This is supposed to be an authority figure? Forget about it.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Its a can of worms really, if you allow a captain's challenge on the pass then how do you deal with the situation where there were 3 Parra players who heard the call then stopped defending.

Are we then to analyse the situation of whether they would have successfully defended the try or not ?

Ring Gids

Juniors
Its a can of worms really, if you allow a captain's challenge on the pass then how do you deal with the situation where there were 3 Parra players who heard the call then stopped defending.

Are we then to analyse the situation of whether they would have successfully defended the try or not ?

they’d just replay the last play from the original starting position (didn’t that happen either Thursday or Friday night because the ball was in play when the incorrect call was made?)

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
they’d just replay the last play from the original starting position (didn’t that happen either Thursday or Friday night because the ball was in play when the incorrect call was made?)
Sunday - Penrith v Newcastle, about 30min. Was subject to Captain's Challenge too. Ref had ruled knock on incorrectly, so the Knights' player retrieving the ball (Hoy?) didn't particularly give any sort of effort getting out of the in-goal. As a result of that reaction it was ruled a mutual infringement so the play went back to Penrith's 5th and a play the ball, instead of the expected line drop-out.

That's not how physics works.

Turbo was moving forward when he passed the ball, that momentum is transferred to the ball upon releasing it for the pass. That's what causes all passes to float forward.

The fact that he got stopped milliseconds after releasing the ball has zero to do with the momentum transferred to the ball when executing the pass.

Indeed, as this is spelt out in one of the notes to the Laws of the Game (Note 1, in Section 10 - Knock-On and Forward Pass) -

Direction of Pass: 1. The direction of a pass is relatative to the player making it and not to the actual path relative to the ground. A player running towards his opponents’ goal line may throw the ball towards a colleague who is behind him but because of the thrower’s own momentum the ball travels forward relative to the ground. This is not a forward pass as the thrower has not passed the ball forward in relation to himself. This is particularly noticeable when a running player makes a high,lobbed pass.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Or we could just accept the refs are human same as the players and mistakes will happen in the heat if the moment and move on! It looked forward live as he caught it a metre in Front of where it was passed, in super slo zoomed in on players hands from three different angles it looked different, but touchie doesn’t have that luxury and the last thiNg the game needs is more VR intervention.