What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

st.phil

Bench
10 years ago, I'd say Mary would have been stoked to be coaching Illawarra cup and holding down a personal training biz. He has set himself up for life financially off the back of the blind / demented faith put in him by Doust and the board. He's the kind of guy who never plays lotto and then flukes a win or always ends up with the meat tray. The sun shines on him, intergenerational karma perhaps - maybe his folks were saints... food for thought

St Georgio

Juniors
Dean Young must not take over, he is already part of a failed system, even if there's a possibility for Wayne Bennett coming across, I don't believe he will break his contract at the rabbits so early.
We need to target someone ready to take over now and the three that stand out for me are the obvious choices Brown, Griiffin and Wane

matPORTS

Juniors
Gunter Steiner would manage the Dragons better than Macgregor. He wouldn't tolerate focking excuses and would emphasise how they'd been playing like focking vankers instead of rockstars.

We can also compare Ferrari's successes & lack of successes through different eras of the last 30-40 years to St George / St George Illawarra.

The Tifosi demand just as much success out of Ferrari as what we the Red V Army demand out of STGI...

80's and early 90's they had some success, but suffered through some terrible management decisions and egotistical power struggles at board level. Suits out of touch with the realities of managing a professional sporting team, and the know-how to make it successful.

The Schumacher, Todt, Brawn, Byrne era of the late 90s and early Naughties, you could compare that to our Bennett-era. Basically, those guys took control of the team and put a wall up between themselves and ego-maniacs on the board. If anyone on the board had a problem with the way one person on the team staff was doing something, they'd have a problem with every one of them. Unprecedented success came. This success was not just down to Schumi being the best driver of all time.

Since that period of success, it's a return back to non-successful times, management power struggles and ego clashing. When a virtual energy drinks company (Red Bull) is beating you at a game you pretty much invented, you know there is something really toxic going on.

It's also got me thinking... if leaders like Alonso and Vettel (along with their experience + entourage of background supporters) struggle to bring success to Ferrari, then what hope really does even someone like Shane Flanagan (definitely not the worst option that will become available to us) have of bringing STGI the success that it commands?

Maybe we do need Bennett back again, or go in hard again for Craig Bellamy?

Last edited:
Macgregor has really destroyed a lot of us
Yesterday just really hurt
Very sad.

Yes, it was the ideal time to let him go.

Even in the press conference, you could see that Mary himself was at least half-resigned to his fate and admitted all but defeat.

But instead, the board moved quickly to dispel what was a well founded and reasonable expectation.

“This is a time for loyalty, strength and commitment...”

Said the press release, undoubtedly the drafting of which, was overseen by Webb, in the knowledge that all hell was going to break loose with the rank and file.

What the board should have said was to the effect of

“ The board thanks Paul for his outstanding service over the last 7 years, but in all of the circumstances has determined to take a new direction with its senior coaching arrangements”

“ A position has recently become available within the senior executive arm of the administration and the board considers Paul’s talents and skills could be better utilised there”

“ The redeployment of Paul to this exciting role will also assist in the transition arrangements for players under a temporary head coach until such time as the board has had the opportunity to examine the best fit in the current season”

“The board looks forward to a continuation of the mutually beneficial relationship between Paul and the club well into the future”

matPORTS

Juniors
Dean Young is almost the perfect 'prototype' that our board would be looking for as a replacement.

St George family heritage + born and bred in the Illawarra. Satisfies the heart-warming egotistical needs of both sides !

To save us all some time ranting and raving in a future 'Sack Young' thread, might as well just give him a 15 year contract straight up, so we can come to terms quickly that he won't be going anywhere !

St Georgio

Juniors
Dean Young is almost the perfect 'prototype' that our board would be looking for as a replacement.

St George family heritage + born and bred in the Illawarra. Satisfies the heart-warming egotistical needs of both sides !

To save us all some time ranting and raving in a future 'Sack Young' thread, might as well just give him a 15 year contract straight up, so we can come to terms quickly that he won't be going anywhere !
This thread will make as smooth transition-
It will be a complete disaster if they decide to appoint Dean Young as Interim coach, fast forward October 2020, the BOD will make a press conference advising after due diligence they have appointed Dean Young as head coach.

Last edited:
The other point is that realistically, his continued deployment is going to cost the club more than paying him out.

Lost merch, sponsers, members, media interest, good players wanting out and no one coming. Angst and bad experience. The loss of hope.

The scribes just look at the pay out figures, but don’t balance it out with the actual cost of keeping him. Nobody has calculated that one properly. Even a reasonable guesstimate

But this horrific game is not really about money. It’s about power.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
My only explanation for this is buying time but even.thats stretching it beyong belief

Wrote this yesterday and I think it has a smidged of traction. There are a couple of points to why McGregor wasn't canned yesterday (and these are only my opinions).

1. Payout - was too much at this point in time. It would also have implications for the proposed new coach as far as attracting someone who is experienced ant lets say 'top shelf'. My guess is that McGregor will survive the remainder of the season, then sacked as it would be a more 'afforfable' exercise. The end of season also invokes the next cycle of the 'club cap' to which coaching staff, etc fall under. I expect quite a few support staff (meditation guy comes straight to mind) as well as 'assistants' will make way for savings in this cap. Flanno is not signed past this year and Matt Head was almost out the door at the beginning of the season. I think 1 of those, or maybe even both wont be here in 2021, but I feel it could be Head who goes. If McGregors payout for 2021 is say 750k (guess only), then savings on an assistant plus a few hangers-on would reduce that by a large margin, which of course would open the door to attract a qualify coach at far greater salary.

2. Timing of new coach - again only my opinion, but the 'new coach' will not be an internal signing ie not Young. An interim coach also serves little purpose if its the same voice only from a different mouth. Hence, Young or anyone else internally wouldn't change whats already going on. An external interim coach also serves little purpose as he would have to 'take time' to know the players, their strengths and in particular their gripes. So, I think what they are looking at is 'availability' and time to 'get to know' the squad ie: pre-season 2021. Looking at the candidates, there are a few who would be considered unavailable until the end of 2020 season plus add in point 1 above.
Contenders (in no particular order):
Bennett - would need releasing from his final year at the Bunnies. Would be a good short-term fix but not long-term.
Fitzgibbon - assistant to Robinson. Has had plenty of education but still a rookie.
Wane - given the travel restriction etc, he probably wouldnt be able to get here until late in the 2020 season in any case. Excellent pedgree, even more so than JD.
Ryles - apparantly wants to go to Rugby, so no on him.
Others include, Hook, Brown, Toovey etc, but I dont think they are particularly in the frame.

Again, these are just my opinions, however, the fact that we will probably have to put up with McGregor for another 15 weeks, unless we completely capitulate. But, the small thread that is hope still exists for 2021. It's just a decision on which Wayne/Wane they are looking at, hopefully.

St Georgio

Juniors
So last week he had two weeks to turn it around, now after being flogged by the second worst team in the comp he has four weeks to turn it around.

It'd be funny if it wasn't so tragic.

From all reports the BOD probably weren't expecting such diabolical performances and results, The rugby League main media have reported that he will gone in 4 weeks if results continue as is, It could be possible they're buying time and coming up with plan B, namely working out a new coach, if anything these muppets are praying for a huge turnaround.

Yes, it was the ideal time to let him go.

Even in the press conference, you could see that Mary himself was at least half-resigned to his fate and admitted all but defeat.

But instead, the board moved quickly to dispel what was a well founded and reasonable expectation.

“This is a time for loyalty, strength and commitment...”

Said the press release, undoubtedly the drafting of which, was overseen by Webb, in the knowledge that all hell was going to break loose with the rank and file.

What the board should have said was to the effect of

“ The board thanks Paul for his outstanding service over the last 7 years, but in all of the circumstances has determined to take a new direction with its senior coaching arrangements”

“ A position has recently become available within the senior executive arm of the administration and the board considers Paul’s talents and skills could be better utilised there”

“ The redeployment of Paul to this exciting role will also assist in the transition arrangements for players under a temporary head coach until such time as the board has had the opportunity to examine the best fit in the current season”

“The board looks forward to a continuation of the mutually beneficial relationship between Paul and the club well into the future”
In my view McGregor was very confident that he was safe when he was being interviewed.
He knew in advance what the outcome was going to be.
The board reacted so as to be seen to be taking action but in the end, the same 'ol same 'ol.
As for another position within the club, We don't want McGregor anywhere near the place and in any capacity.
Career coach should look for another gig in the bush or a lowly ESL Team.
The NRL is no place for him, that's for sure.