What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 5 Vs Eels

WestyLife

First Grade
View attachment 39077

Whare still had a worse tackle rate anyway AND gave away 2 penalties. Not to say Crichton wasnt destroyed. Blake owned him. But Whare does nothing.... Aside from a big hit every few weeks to give a false impression he's a gun defender when really he is bog average defensively and non existent in attack.

The first try To'o scored is because a bad pass missed Whare and he finally got decent ball.

Yeah but the Facebook fans love Whare and Mansour so they'll never get dropped.

forby

Juniors
Luai is an international 9 and could be the impact when api needs a rest.
Tonight showed that it is hard to defend against 80% possession for 25 minutes. Too many milked 6 agains and penalties like Fergus really hurt. The sin bin should have Been on the first tackle of the set not 15 secs to go. Sutton really hurt us with some of his calls, but it was still a really good effort with one player short and it really was just the bounce of the ball that beat them.

chrisD

Coach
View attachment 39077

Whare still had a worse tackle rate anyway AND gave away 2 penalties. Not to say Crichton wasnt destroyed. Blake owned him. But Whare does nothing.... Aside from a big hit every few weeks to give a false impression he's a gun defender when really he is bog average defensively and non existent in attack.

The first try To'o scored is because a bad pass missed Whare and he finally got decent ball.
lol. Are you f**king trolling? As if tonight was not the clearest indicator you could ever have that your stupid stat means a total of dick all. Not all tackles are the same, not all missed tackles are the same.

mxlegend99

Referee
lol. Are you f**king trolling? As if tonight was not the clearest indicator you could ever have that your stupid stat means a total of dick all. Not all tackles are the same, not all missed tackles are the same.
It's not my stat. I dont record them. Crichton just didnt have the same luxury of being bailed out for his missed tackles by the guys around him... Or being up against an ageing centre who has lost a yard of pace. Crichton was surrounded by the weaker defenders... Mansour on the wing widely regarded as a terrible defender even at his peak. Kikau who isnt very agile defensively and Luai who isnt in the same league as Cleary on the right. Our left edge is weaker than the right in general. A miss by anyone is more exposed as its less likely to be caught by others on that edge.

Blake f**king destroyed Crichton. No doubt about it. I said as much. But you claim Whare is as good in defence as any centre in thhe game which is not close to true and hasn't been for the best part of a decade. Surrounded by better defenders he's still the liability on that edge

I dont see how anyone could argue for keeping a centre that misses 30% of his tackles, bombs every try scoring opportunity that comes his way and has a gun winger outside of him who is basically turned into a non threat as a result. The fact it takes Whare not touching a ball for Too to finally get decent ball says it all

Meanwhile the slowest least threatening winger in attack has scored 2 tries in 2 weeks outside of Crichton.

Crichton has flaws that need fixing. But hes young enough to fix them and offers enough to desl with his flaws. Whare offers nothing

I can live with Aekins dropped ballS we get that fro Dylan anyway. He absolutely gives us nothing in attack, no support play and he’s terrible with his input into backline, there was the most obvious scoring opportunity on the first half he could just handed Whare the ball and he would’ve put To’o over easily and Aekins just runs, there wasn’t even pressure on him from the defence, he had heaps of time.

To be fair, there was one moment in the dying stages of the game when Cleary had the ball and he had Aekins following him on his left and all Cleary had to do was to draw and pass and Aekins would’ve gone over untouched to at least send the game into golden point.

Unfortunately it is rare that he does any backing up but that rare moment could’ve at least given us a chance.

I could be wrong, but the last fullback that was effective in backing up was either Flash or Coote

The_Frog

First Grade
I call conceding 3 tries back to back to back in minutes pathetic. If you think that's defending well then your standards are super low and you're not a supporter. You're a moron. END OF.

Eels scored at will when the game was on the line and we let them.
Was an evil bounce that last one.

We will need the sort of effort from the first 40 for the full 80 if we're going to beat the Storm.

WestyLife

First Grade
It wasn't that Aekins is slow that cost us tonight, its that his security at the back deserted him when it really counted.

That picture is more about the effort than the result. Burton put Martin away and that's where the top team's fullback would be up there but he's just waiting on someone else to have a go.

The Realist

Juniors
Panthers fans: Naden is too shit at defence to play centre

Also not overly disappointed that Capewell seems to have done his hammy again. I think Martin offers more, and hope to see Hetherington on the bench next week.

My thoughts exactly. He is the most puzzling signing. We are brimming with 2nd rowers...almost too many forwards in general that we have to leave a bunch of good ones out....and we sign this merkin....after letting Waqa go. That told me all we need to know about our management. It still sucks.

Vicpanther

Juniors
Wow what a game. Was hard to work when that game was on.
I have trouble understanding how so many "fans" have so many bad things to say about the current roster.
We went toe to toe with the premiership favourites and of not for a bad bounce we probably would have won.

Jlthe biggest thing I seen was poor critta hasn't been man handled like Blake did and that scared him a little. But that's Blake. He did that when he played for us.
We will be top 5 this year I truly believe it.

It's going to be a great year I think.

WestyLife

First Grade
I have trouble understanding how so many "fans" have so many bad things to say about the current roster.

It's easy when the club has 2 barely average Fullbacks, a centre and winger in the backline. We're surviving on the middles and lots of effort at the moment.

martielang

Bench
That picture is more about the effort than the result. Burton put Martin away and that's where the top team's fullback would be up there but he's just waiting on someone else to have a go.

Lol you realise he’s not papahyzen or ponga yeh? No fullback is getting close to Martin in that situation unless he’s in the line next to him. Aekins was either the sweeper or the 2nd/3rd receiver in that play, you think it’s a lack of effort that doesn’t get him 30m up field in 1.2 seconds???

It’s amazing how quickly some look for the same trusted scapegoats when one of the golden children make a couple of critical errors.

Last edited:

Panfa

Juniors
Edwards mansour naden chrichton too Burton Cleary Martin yeo kikau tamou koroisau Fisher Harris_leota tetevano leniu luai that's the 17 I would be running out against the storm.Aekins and whare need to go and leniu the wreaking ball in for capewell on the bench with Burton starting in place of luai who gives api rest when he gets tired

kinghippo

Juniors
Wow what a game. Was hard to work when that game was on.
We went toe to toe with the premiership favourites and of not for a bad bounce we probably would have won.

Jlthe biggest thing I seen was poor critta hasn't been man handled like Blake did and that scared him a little. But that's Blake. He did that when he played for us.
We will be top 5 this year I truly believe it.

It's going to be a great year I think.
Waqa emphasised the point many of us have been trying to make for years in that you need players that can do what he did to us last night.

We have the players to be top 5 but we need to pull the trigger on getting some attacking weapons in the team.
Once we get a good fullback or another dangerous centre in the team we won’t look back.
The fullback in particular will make a huge difference, a good example has been Api. Having the right player rather than someone adequate will fix a lot.

Last edited:

murraymob

Coach
Just a thought
This is a young squad and last time I checked grand finals are not won this time of year
Positives
We have hit the jack pot with the Cleary burton Luia. Combinations very raw but massive potential
Our forwArd back has matched everyone this year and being so young is going to get way better
I challenge anyone to say if they where told we would have lost 1 game 5 rounds in they would say we will take it

WestyLife

First Grade
Lol you realise he’s not papahyzen or ponga yeh? No fullback is getting close to Martin in that situation unless he’s in the line next to him. Aekins was either the sweeper or the 2nd/3rd receiver in that play, you think it’s a lack of effort that doesn’t get him 30m up field in 1.2 seconds???

It’s amazing how quickly some look for the same trusted scapegoats when one of the golden children make a couple of critical errors.

Exactly he's not a top fullback I'm glad we agree.

chrisD

Coach
It's not my stat. I dont record them. Crichton just didnt have the same luxury of being bailed out for his missed tackles by the guys around him... Or being up against an ageing centre who has lost a yard of pace.
You don't really understand how it works. Despite Parra's form and their possession and field position, that side of the field was safe as houses for 80 minutes, and Whare is the linchpin, that's what matters, not your stupid ass stats. It isn't by dumb f**king luck that Whare's missed tackles don't lead to tries and breaks, it is because he makes sure not to get beaten on the side with space and gets enough on them so that they don't just step through in clean stride.

So long as it almost always takes teams a large amount of luck or skill to score down that side Cleary will be loathe to drop Whare.