What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to re-build the Dragons

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Hi Guys,

Found myself thinking about how we can move forward from the disaster that the club feels to have become. I genuinely hurt with the current situation, and really don't want to become that permanent cellar dweller. I want to believe again!

So how to rebuild? (simple as A B C right?)
A) Coach - seems like point #1, but who?
B) Management and staff - I know there will be comments here. I am disappointed that they have allowed us to get to this situation and I have lost belief in them. I hope they can turn it around, or maybe there is a way to inject new people? The new CEO seemed like a good choice to me, and we have seen some improvements (picking teams, change in play style etc.). I have no ideas on what can be done to unite the team and build.
C) Players - We have a lot of players off contract, and the ability to therefore build for the future. This is the main issue I am thinking about.
i) Bring in a star or two??? what positions? who? I tend to think we need to pay overs for such at the moment, and I am thus hesitant to spend money in this way. If we buy, it has to be the right player or players.
ii) build around the current young guys? Here is where I would prefer to focus. Consider paying them more money early in their tenure to build belief and loyalty in a group for the future. Find guys for reasonably length contracts, with options in the clubs favour for the later part of the contracts (at higher salaries based on presumption of success). Explain to them that the club is willing to give them a real chance to prove themselves at a young age, to give them game time with an extended chance to build together, but that the club expects loyalty in return. If players don't want to commit, then let them go and find better guys. Lomax, Cody Ramsey, Clune, Sullivan Feagai bros. Sauni-Esau, Ford, Blacker, Fuimaono, who else??? (I'd love to add Saab to the mix, maybe Sailor and Dufty, but we need know that the pieces all fit together, not too many players who are the same).

So Questions
1) Do we sign any big stars? and if so what position? and posibly who?
2) Which young players should we focus on developing and keeping?

Thoughts?

It all starts with a Board that is committed to excellence. That doesn't regard what Mary has "achieved" over the past six years as being vaguely acceptable. Finishing outside the top 4 but in the top 8 is a failure- not a success- i'm sure that is what the Roosters Board would think.
Until that happens, we're probably all wasting our time on this forum because the McGregor disaster will be repeated again at some stage- probably soon.
If the Board was accountable like a political party, we'd be able to vote them out- but they're not- so we just remain like Dusty Springfield -wishing and hoping

Old Timer

Coach
Punt the yoga guy and anybody else that currently talks to the team in an effort to inspire them and get Grant Hackett in to do the motivational talk.

When asked what he thought of his Silver & Bronze Olympic medals he said he despised them and saw them as complete failures.

That's the sort of guy we need getting into our players heads and he has a bit of mongrel in him to boot.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
For me, the only way I see us re-building is to take us to the brink of collapse, as brutal as that sounds.

All roads to our current predicament lead back to the Board and that Board has firmly entrenched itself, where it is impossible to remove any member of it.

Memberships and merchandising are the key elements that keep propping them up, year after year. There is basically zero interests in the actual performance of the team, where they have installed a (in their words) 'career coach'. A set and forget scenario. In fact in reminds me of an old English comedy, where one would ask:
Board - "how did we do today, old chap?"
McGregor - "we lost, but we did good, their try's were from kicks"
Board - "damn shame that, oh well, tally ho, and better luck next week"

2021 marks our 100yr anniversary, surely they couldn't possibly envisage going into that season in our current situation. With each loss this year, the pressure builds on them, they know more and more negative commentary will be forthcoming, this in turn will further enrage the masses who are, at this time, already stretched to support the Club. Memberships have already seen a decrease, this in itself is a sort of barometer to how the general supporters feel. Some will continue to support the Club through purchasing memberships, and that's their prerogative to do so, however, the excuse of 'I don't want to lose my "good" seats', does sound a little spiritless. If parting with your hard earned to watch us play our weekly 'power' game turns you on, then so be it. It seems our soul (Jubilee Oval) has now been prostituted, a little bit like us in general.

I'm hoping the light somehow get switched on, and that our upcoming centennial celebrations will not be soured by head in the sand management. There is a brief glimmer of hope in the rhetoric regarding the current head coaching position. Plenty of people 'in the know" seem to think that a decision has been or is close to being made for next year. You would sort of think so to be honest. The scenario of the current status quo v's an injection of life blood would have to sound appealing, even to the most moronic of Boards trusted with such a 'Brand', could see that.

For all we know decisions have already been made and 2021 may just turn out to be reasons to celebrate, on many fronts!

BLM01

First Grade
For me, the only way I see us re-building is to take us to the brink of collapse, as brutal as that sounds.

All roads to our current predicament lead back to the Board and that Board has firmly entrenched itself, where it is impossible to remove any member of it.

Memberships and merchandising are the key elements that keep propping them up, year after year. There is basically zero interests in the actual performance of the team, where they have installed a (in their words) 'career coach'. A set and forget scenario. In fact in reminds me of an old English comedy, where one would ask:

2021 marks our 100yr anniversary, surely they couldn't possibly envisage going into that season in our current situation. With each loss this year, the pressure builds on them, they know more and more negative commentary will be forthcoming, this in turn will further enrage the masses who are, at this time, already stretched to support the Club. Memberships have already seen a decrease, this in itself is a sort of barometer to how the general supporters feel. Some will continue to support the Club through purchasing memberships, and that's their prerogative to do so, however, the excuse of 'I don't want to lose my "good" seats', does sound a little spiritless. If parting with your hard earned to watch us play our weekly 'power' game turns you on, then so be it. It seems our soul (Jubilee Oval) has now been prostituted, a little bit like us in general.

I'm hoping the light somehow get switched on, and that our upcoming centennial celebrations will not be soured by head in the sand management. There is a brief glimmer of hope in the rhetoric regarding the current head coaching position. Plenty of people 'in the know" seem to think that a decision has been or is close to being made for next year. You would sort of think so to be honest. The scenario of the current status quo v's an injection of life blood would have to sound appealing, even to the most moronic of Boards trusted with such a 'Brand', could see that.

For all we know decisions have already been made and 2021 may just turn out to be reasons to celebrate, on many fronts!
Very good post DS
But I'll say it in a few words.
Complete overhaul of BOD and football club staff and we start from the ground up
Rome was not built in a day..but we can build the Dragons up again and rise from the ashes in a season

boardlumps62

Juniors
The Tigers gave rebuilt are having a good battle with Penrith. What happened since last year they are tougher playing better. Probably the coach flogging his players.

boardlumps62

Juniors
The Tigers gave rebuilt are having a good battle with Penrith. What happened since last year they are tougher playing better. Probably the coach flogging his players.

boardlumps62

Juniors

boardlumps62

Juniors

boardlumps62

Juniors

boardlumps62

Juniors

boardlumps62

Juniors

boardlumps62

Juniors

possm

Coach
The Tigers have a coach that many on here did not want a bar of. Mary is a bully who can only pick on young juniors who fail because he insists on them following his crappy game plan.

blacksafake

First Grade

Good post slayer.
Knowing our board they’ll use covid as the excuse of losing money, not the real issues.

RPG437

Juniors

Does anyone know how to unravel the JV Board structure? Or know an expert in these matters?
All the discussion in these threads are a good read and a place to vent and for some to troll, but basically just hot air.
Until the Board can be held accountable they will do as they please and the rot will continue until the whole shithouse falls over for good.

Latest posts