What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to re-build the Dragons

Como Connection

First Grade
If they sign Flanno now as head coach from 2022 once he is allowed, that should satisfy all involved? just check with the NRL in the meantime so we aren't perceived as breaking any rules. (I am sure the NRL want to make sure they stick to the ban, but also would prefer less coach sacking etc.)
Correct, the way to go surely.
CC

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
If they sign Flanno now as head coach from 2022 once he is allowed, that should satisfy all involved? just check with the NRL in the meantime so we aren't perceived as breaking any rules. (I am sure the NRL want to make sure they stick to the ban, but also would prefer less coach sacking etc.)

But will that help attract players for 2021?- most available players will want to know who's coaching next year not the following one.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Good to see that Kerr has resigned until 2023.
Millward should resign, Brittain, the Feagais, Host, Sailor, Sauni-Esau and maybe Aitken which will all give some depth. I would not be wasting money on backs as we have enough, We have still to replace Lafai and Luke. I believe if we resign Aitken, the Feagais, Sauni-Esau and Sailor we have enough depth in the backs and should put our funds towards a prop/middle forward as De Belin is highly doubtful and we are under strength in that position.

Dragon David

First Grade
I know this thread is about the rebuilding of the Dragons but just reading about the Bulldogs and where they are heading.

They have a new coach coming - Trent Barrett. He will transform the Bulldogs attack greatly. Their defence hasn't been too bad and needs some more attention.
They will have the Laundy Hotels to back them and build them up like the Roosters.
Arthur Laundy good friends with Barrett.
They will be building up their team to be where they were a few years ago in the top 4 by getting better players.

We have who? Oh, that's right the Gordons and they - keep McGregor, keep us as hasbeens, keep the clubs unattractive for patrons and other players to join.

The Bulldogs know that they need to make massive changes for success and that is what we need to do to survive.

Hmmm, Luke Thompson and Nick Cotric might get them off the bottom of the table. But going to need a couple more superstar signings to get them to Roosters level or top 4. And Barrett hasn't proved himself as a head coach either yet. Not sure where they are going to find these superstar players to get them to such lofty heights.

TruSaint

Referee
I know this thread is about the rebuilding of the Dragons but just reading about the Bulldogs and where they are heading.

They have a new coach coming - Trent Barrett. He will transform the Bulldogs attack greatly. Their defence hasn't been too bad and needs some more attention.
They will have the Laundy Hotels to back them and build them up like the Roosters.
Arthur Laundy good friends with Barrett.
They will be building up their team to be where they were a few years ago in the top 4 by getting better players.

We have who? Oh, that's right the Gordons and they - keep McGregor, keep us as hasbeens, keep the clubs unattractive for patrons and other players to join.

The Bulldogs know that they need to make massive changes for success and that is what we need to do to survive.

They have a lot of work to do and still have a dysfunctional board.
You may be right about them in the long term, time will tell.

Not sold on Barrett either.

St Georgio

Juniors
After watching the Sharks steam rolling us through the forwards on Saturday, to make the Dragons a Top 4 team again we need-a Coach who can attract 4 of these type of players, a Jeremy Smith, Beau Scott, Michael Weyman and a Matt Cooper.
Corey Norman should follow Dufty's work ethic and train 10× harder than everyone else, Dufty was great for us on Saturday, so too Lomax and the squad needs to watch this every week before game day!

Last edited:

mickeylane

Bench
Dragons lack a true leader - there’s no leader to get the team going in our team like the Cordners, Clearys, Smiths, Walker, DCE, Tuamalola, Graham, Moses .. potentially JDB is the only player that can probably lift our team and that’s in the balance . I think we need to buy a gun 5/8, Prop, 2nd rower, winger.
Total investment would be $2.5m .. I just noticed Ryan James signed w Raiders for 2021.. I mean these kind of players are around we are just too conservative and slow w how we recruit.. plus why aren’t we looking for Pacific Islander talent like Storm do..

_Johnsy

Referee
A good start would be to measure off our existing forwards roster in comparison to Collins & Tupouniua the 2 bench players from the chooks.

We just plod along with oompa loompas and the Roosters crow loudly as there chicks show everything we actually desire from our starting side let alone the bench.

We need to recognise what successful teams do re blooding & integrating young talent.
100% the bench is about impact & ours doesn't have any. Come to think of it which of our big men in the middle have much impact at all?

The Badger

Juniors
Dragons lack a true leader - there’s no leader to get the team going in our team like the Cordners, Clearys, Smiths, Walker, DCE, Tuamalola, Graham, Moses .. potentially JDB is the only player that can probably lift our team and that’s in the balance . I think we need to buy a gun 5/8, Prop, 2nd rower, winger.
Total investment would be $2.5m .. I just noticed Ryan James signed w Raiders for 2021.. I mean these kind of players are around we are just too conservative and slow w how we recruit.. plus why aren’t we looking for Pacific Islander talent like Storm do..[/QUOTE
Have a look at all the team's at the bottom of the comp.No leaders.By leaders I mean players who can take control of a game through time management,kicking,organisation,attaining attention from co players.These are all spine players.They have either flexibility to pop up where they want to or have control of certain parts of the field.They see the game differently so are the x factor.We have x factor with Dufty and Lomax but no one getting the field position and room for them.Roosters,Storm,Raiders ,Parramatta have them.

Old Timer

Coach
OIP.D7Lct84FUNUa2Lt7ByCM3gHaEK

Dragon David

First Grade
After watching the Sharks steam rolling us through the forwards on Saturday, to make the Dragons a Top 4 team again we need-a Coach who can attract 4 of these type of players, a Jeremy Smith, Beau Scott, Michael Weyman and a Matt Cooper.
Corey Norman should follow Dufty's work ethic and train 10× harder than everyone else, Dufty was great for us on Saturday, so too Lomax and the squad needs to watch this every week before game day!
Watching Kurt Mann play for the Knights against the Bulldogs today, I would have him in place of Norman. Mann plays with much more purpose and is a better playmaker than Norman in my opinion.

Dragon David

First Grade
Total investment would be $2.5m .. I just noticed Ryan James signed w Raiders for 2021.. I mean these kind of players are around we are just too conservative and slow w how we recruit.. plus why aren’t we looking for Pacific Islander talent like Storm do..
This is it. Get these big Pacific Islanders into our squad. Gee other clubs certainly do not muck around signing up players. We probably will end up with Bryce Cartwright who is not wanted at the Titans - please no.

Mjab

Juniors
Good to see that Kerr has resigned until 2023.
Millward should resign, Brittain, the Feagais, Host, Sailor, Sauni-Esau and maybe Aitken which will all give some depth. I would not be wasting money on backs as we have enough, We have still to replace Lafai and Luke. I believe if we resign Aitken, the Feagais, Sauni-Esau and Sailor we have enough depth in the backs and should put our funds towards a prop/middle forward as De Belin is highly doubtful and we are under strength in that position.

Sounds reasonable but I suspect Sailor will finish his degree and go to greener pastures ie QLD. Why would he want to stay here. We have treated him poorly this season. Surely he was a better option than Norman at 5/8, or at least give him a go and give Norman a kick up the arse to be dropped.

Personally never seen Host do that much and he has had chances , more pleased with Kerr resigning as he has done well this year

Aitken either needs to be made into a forward or bench player on a 1 yr deal and 1 yr option in our favour . He is not a centre . He cannot pass and set up his winger

Crush

Coach
Dragons need a mongrel or two in their team.
Besides Tariq they all seem soft. They let Sharon Woods boss them last night FFS. If you go through their entire squad they are all creampuffs really.
We need a Mark Geyer.
An Ian Roberts.
A couple of guys that hit hard and are aggressive.
And we need a captain to challenge the Ref.
Cam Smith, Paul Gallen even though they are grots they command respect from the referees.

TruSaint

Referee
Dragons need a mongrel or two in their team.
Besides Tariq they all seem soft. They let Sharon Woods boss them last night FFS. If you go through their entire squad they are all creampuffs really.
We need a Mark Geyer.
An Ian Roberts.
A couple of guys that hit hard and are aggressive.
And we need a captain to challenge the Ref.
Cam Smith, Paul Gallen even though they are grots they command respect from the referees.

We have talented forwards, but yeah... they are NOT intimidating.

Latest posts