What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Squad Analysis

BLM01

First Grade
Aitken form has improved is it contract time. I always liked him strong in attack and was ok in defence but never passed a ball much from memory. But now a different player hasn't he been tried in
left centre previously. A keeper need to find another or bring the Fegals through.
A keeper...na...unless much less money
He was available from Nov 1 2019...no one appears to be lining up for his services ....
As I said before it is funny how desperate they get when the NRL scrapheap beckons
We need to move on from him

Dragon David

First Grade
aitken has improved alot since moving to left centre

remove the tendency to tuck the ball under the right arm and try and move outside your player has done wonders in attack

secondly his defence looks sharper......much better decision making

do we keep him if good value contract or would the likes of melb now come after him?
Aitken's move to left centre, methinks at the assistant coaches' insistence and their ability to coach him better than Mary, has improved his performance skills and as such, I wouldn't be surprised to see him signing up with us again for at least another year. Hopefully the assistant coaches can get him to practise a lot of passing the ball/offloads.

I think that his improvement is from better coaching rather than a contract thing with us.

Dragon David

First Grade
I'm getting peed off to see other clubs securing or bringing into their teams big boppers (one example is the Eels bringing young Stefano Utoikamanu in the game against the Knights on Sunday. At 192cm and 115kg, he is a lump of a lad). Who do we have to bring up - Blacker?

boardlumps62

Juniors
A keeper...na...unless much less money
He was available from Nov 1 2019...no one appears to be lining up for his services ....
As I said before it is funny how desperate they get when the NRL scrapheap beckons
We need to move on from him
I'm remembering when he stood up Greg Inglis to bust through and score a try at right centre. Never seen that again did we not when on tv anyway and I think I watched every match he has played.
We need some of these juniors to shine.

BLM01

First Grade
I'm remembering when he stood up Greg Inglis to bust through and score a try at right centre. Never seen that again did we not when on tv anyway and I think I watched every match he has played.
That’s the problem everybody remembers one incident
like the media are notorious for this
If he’s a young up and comet he’s gonna be a future superstar and looks like a great player or
If he’s an existing player they are spruiked as origin ready
The list goes on and on with one incident is enough to Judge a player.. drives me crazy
And re Aitken try he beat a not fully fit Inglis who was still recovering from injury early in the season
I’m waiting for Matt ikaluvu from the roosters wing last night after scoring 5 tries how he is probably the next hottest property on the market as can’t get a go in first grade

redv13

Bench
If he’s a young up and comet he’s gonna be a future superstar and looks like a great player or
The list goes on and on with one incident is enough to Judge a player.. drives me crazy
And re Aitken try he beat a not fully fit Inglis who was still recovering from injury early in the season
I’m waiting for Matt ikaluvu from the roosters wing last night after scoring 5 tries how he is probably the next hottest property on the market as can’t get a go in first grade
Great to see Ikuvalu score 5 tries last night, doesn’t happen too often. At the same time too I don’t think he ran more than 10 meters for any of them. Cows were woeful again and surely Green is just about gonski??

boardlumps62

Juniors
We should get him while he's still a shoe salesman. Can Saab do that we might have to wait too long I prefer we found those solid built shoe salesman like Pereira mm ature but not the best out there.

BLM01

First Grade
Great to see Ikuvalu score 5 tries last night, doesn’t happen too often. At the same time too I don’t think he ran more than 10 meters for any of them. Cows were woeful again and surely Green is just about gonski??
yeh Green..another one.
Will take the limelight again away from our poor performing coach...might even take it away from Siebs if they get a win

possm

Coach
We need a healthy mix of established first-grade players and highly skilled first-grade ready former juniors in our NRL 17. Norman, Lafai and Aitken need to go. Ravalawa needs to play centre in reserve grade. Saab and Pereira need to lift their game if they want to be selected in first grade. For me, Dufty is a five-eighth and should prove he is in resrve grade. So for the remainder of 2020 I would have a backline of:
1. Ramsey
2. Ravalawa
3. Lomax
4. Willimame or Feagai
5. Saab
6. Dufty or Sailor
7. Clune
9. Hunt
13. McInnes

Say goodbye to Lafai and Aitken at seasons end.

redv13

Bench
We need a healthy mix of established first-grade players and highly skilled first-grade ready former juniors in our NRL 17. Norman, Lafai and Aitken need to go. Ravalawa needs to play centre in reserve grade. Saab and Pereira need to lift their game if they want to be selected in first grade. For me, Dufty is a five-eighth and should prove he is in resrve grade. So for the remainder of 2020 I would have a backline of:
1. Ramsey
2. Ravalawa
3. Lomax
4. Willimame or Feagai
5. Saab
6. Dufty or Sailor
7. Clune
9. Hunt
13. McInnes

Say goodbye to Lafai and Aitken at seasons end.
Ravalawa needs to play centre in reserve grade: selected on the wing.
Saab needs to lift his game if he wants to be selected in 1st grade: selected on the wing.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
So, atm we have 27 players of our required 29 (by August 2nd), 28 if you include Lafai (because he's unofficial atm)

Backs (11) - Clune, Hunt, Williame, Norman, Aitken, Saab, JP, Dufty, Rava, Sailor, Lomax

Forwards (16) - Brittain, Lawrie, McInnes, Blacker, JDB, Ford, Host, Lovodua, Kerr, K. Sims, T. Sims, Vaughan, Merrin, Fuimaono, Frizell, Ellis

I would say that the final 2 spots will come from the boys in the DS group. Ramsey being 1 and maybe 1 of the Feagai boys. That would give us the required 29. By doingvthis they could also bring back into the bubble SSE and H. Lomax.

possm

Coach
Aitken's move to left centre, methinks at the assistant coaches' insistence and their ability to coach him better than Mary, has improved his performance skills and as such, I wouldn't be surprised to see him signing up with us again for at least another year. Hopefully the assistant coaches can get him to practise a lot of passing the ball/offloads.

I think that his improvement is from better coaching rather than a contract thing with us.
I would say that Williame is a better left centre and that if Aitken is moved on, there would be a better chance of attacting a top grade left centre. Aitken can't pass or set up his winger.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons confirm Kaide Ellis signing
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Mon 13 Jul 2020, 07:47 AM

St George Illawarra have confirmed the signing of Penrith Panthers forward Kaide Ellis for the remainder of the 2020 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

Ellis – a former Holden Cup, Canterbury Cup NSW and NRL State Championship (of which he was man of the match) winner – will join his new Dragons teammates this week.

The 23-year-old Dubbo product has played eight first grade games to date, all with the Panthers.

Dragons director of rugby league pathways and list management Ian Millward said Ellis's inclusion for the remainder of the season was key for the club's depth.

"Kaide is a very formidable figure and has been a standout in the Canterbury Cup over the past few seasons, and all the while has always being on the periphery of first grade selection," Millward said.

"Kaide comes with high credentials in regard to his attitude and work ethic and will be a good inclusion to our squad character-wise.

"Kaide was off contract with the Panthers and we have now presented him an opportunity to put a stake down at the Dragons moving forward. The key for the Dragons was to find a back-up behind our current squad."

The shortened season and current wave of injuries throughout the NRL competition have contributed to the difficulty of signing players mid-season, according to Millward.

"Clubs at present are reluctant to let players go due to the current wave of injuries throughout the competition, while the players themselves are nervous because there's no reserve grade at present," Millward said.

"Another challenge is that a lot of other clubs are still looking for players themselves. We fielded phone calls from the Raiders last week, as an example, who too are short on middles while we're on the phone to 14 other clubs trying to do the same thing.

"It's a cycle in the NRL at the moment. Clubs are in constant dialogue as they look to secure the required 29 players before the August 2 signing deadline."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/07/13/dragons-confirm-kaide-ellis-signing/

blue bags

First Grade
The Dragons are also waiting to learn the outcome of Jack de Belin's court case before considering signing the likes of North Queensland's John Asiata or Canterbury's Adam Elliott, as they play the same position as the former NSW Origin lock.

So if this is true how long do we actually wait before deciding to move on.
No wonder we only get the dreggs.
what was the outcome of the jacks earlier court decision, last week

Latest posts