What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Gould and Gallen now both saying we can’t win the comp. I hope they keep saying it. We have never been good favourites.

We are a chance, any top 4 side is.

However Gould would know, that generally the better defensively sides are the ones that go far in the finals. We are currently the best defensive side. It has got us several wins this year.

Tooooks

Bench
I find Gould and Gallen unwatchable, but I’d be interested to know on what basis they’ve written us off. Presumably it’s due to our form over the last month?

We’ve beaten the teams who have beaten the Roosters. We’ve beaten the teams who have beaten the Storm. We’ve beaten Penrith. Despite our scratchy recent form, we are still the best defensive side.

Speaking of scratchy form, how about Roosters nearly getting beaten by Warriors and Titans in successive weeks? What about Penrith struggling to beat Cowboys and Titans in successive weeks?

I think it’s good we are being written off as a genuine contender but i do find it a little perplexing.

84 Baby

Referee
Gould et al are writing us off based on midseason games. The chances are they’ll be proven correct but their reasoning is flawed. We’re not likely to win because Rorters and Scum are less likely to have players shit themselves. Won’t stop them telling everyone how right they were.
Although maybe Gallen understands that. If anyone recognises players shifting themselves on the big stage, it’s Paul “6th tackle settler in Queensland’s 20m” Gallen

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
I'm writing the Roosters off. I reckon the Storm are almost specials. I think we will go far, I just hope if we make the GF it's not against the Storm, I don't think I could cope with that. Not sure about the Panthers, as well as they are going now, surely they can't sustain it. Canberra could have a late surge and they are the type of team that could challenge once there.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I'm writing the Roosters off. I reckon the Storm are almost specials. I think we will go far, I just hope if we make the GF it's not against the Storm, I don't think I could cope with that. Not sure about the Panthers, as well as they are going now, surely they can't sustain it. Canberra could have a late surge and they are the type of team that could challenge once there.

I'm the other way, would rather play them in the GF over anyone else, with Cam Smith there

I think we are 0-7 in finals matches v Storm, if we are gonna get one back lets do it in the GF

Key is we need to peak couple of games leading into the finals and not take the foot off

We have a far better defence this year, far better forward pack, and far better impact from the bench. Also looking likely at this juncture no finals matches in Melbourne

TheRam

Coach
I like to say a few things about the way we are playing this year to date. So here goes.

In my opinion the reason we nearly lost against the Dogs is we played very slow. From the opening set I said to my girlfriend we are just so slow. Why are we so slow? We were playing safe and well enough, but without an up beat tempo.

So once the Dogs stopped making errors and moving the ball around we didn't go up a gear to break them down again. They sensed it and they said as much in the post match interviews.

So that isn't a sign of just physical weakness in our team, but more a sign of metal fatigue setting in at this point in the season. Sure it manifests itself with a physical lack lustre approach, but it comes down to mental fatigue more then just physical or at least its equal. But more so my greater concern is that we don't have a great attacking structure overall which is a significant contributor to our spasmodic performances. Even when we are playing well we don't have enough variation in our bag of tricks. I find this very concerning this late in the season. We should have started to dismantle teams with intelligent attacking raids by now.

Instead, we are basically slogging it out with Junior our main attacking weapon due to his ability for a late offload, being our go to option when we get bogged down and devoid of ideas. Our lead half is not managing the game well enough at this point and like I have said before in another post, we don't have enough runners in motion for most of our plays.

Sterlo's point that we do to much one out running is spot on and what I have said before. It is just to predictable and yeah sure we can and have gotten away with it during the earlier part of the season, but now the players are getting worn down and mentally tired of having to bash their bodies at almost every play to make good yardage.

Sure we have the best power game in the NRL in my opinion, but that only works when you are fresh mentally and physically. You can't sustain that for an entire season and not come out at the pointy end of the season broken. If we didn't have the brains trust to play smarter fancier footy, I would say fair enough, play to your strengths and hope for the best but we do. We have two back rowers that have shown in the past that they can run great lines and have enviable ball skills with size and power. Why are they being ignored and used so poorly? We have a lock that besides loving to run like a run away train has footwork and ball skills too, why is his game so one dimensional?

We have a pair of halves that are the envy of the NRL and yet they rarely combine with any real plan in mind. Moses has actually gotten quieter in quality playmaking and his kicking game seems a little off from last season. He is not demanding enough from his forwards. He is not setting up two and three plays in advance for a set outcome where he has spotted a weakness in the opposition.

He has been around now long enough to have studied and practiced plays from the greats of our past. He should have pet plays by now, you know, like Thurston had with Gavin Cooper. Thurston would identify a weak defensive combination between the backrower and centre and work toward exposing them and voila bang Cooper comes in at the right speed and angle to feed off Thurston's perfect short pass. This is just one very simple play, that should be easily part of our arsenal in attack.

We are not using our centres well enough also. I've said it before, D. Brown is a very dumb player right now. He loves to run, which is a wonderful trait in a half, but not at every opportunity when there are much better ones around him if he gives earlier ball to his outside men. I know I am harping on this but I really want us to use our backrowers much better. Shoot, they are massive units with big motors and built to run and the ability to deliver a brilliant pass. Why are we not seeing them in more space? They should be tearing it up.

Also, one of our wingers has caught a cold out there this season. If our coaching staff don't see an issue in this then maybe that is why our attack is so cumbersome if we aren't on top with our awesome power game. But like I said that will be much harder to sustain during the finals against the best teams. The lack of successful attacking options down Fergo's flank is a symptom of our failure as a team to work teams over with smarts.

I will only say two things about our dummy half and that is to say he is burning out and how can you go into a season with only one young recognised dummy half?

Notice that I haven't said anything about our fullback or front rowers? Well that is because they are the only two positions that we have gotten right this season and a massive reason besides our much improved defense that we are travelling as well as we are. But even they could be doing it easier and have greater impact and opportunities if we addressed all the other things and used our gifted players better. We have to get this right at least somewhat to have any real chance of winning back to back games in the finals series this year. Defensively strong, but also smart attacking teams generally win Grand Finals. At this point in time we are only half there.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Notice that I haven't said anything about our fullback or front rowers? Well that is because they are the only two positions that we have gotten right this season
Really??? We have only lost to the defending Premiers and Manly who you rated so highly before the season started.

emjaycee

Coach
Maybe BA is playing the long game and preparing for an ambush. If we fans know that we could offer more in attack through our strike back-rowers and our halves, don't you think BA knows this as well.
Maybe he is making us play predictable attack to lull the opposition into thinking that is all we have and then in the games that matter (i.e. the semi-finals, not Round 12 v Dogs) he will unleash the biggest, mostest, epicest secret ambush ever seen in the NRL. We are winning at 83% so far this season WITHOUT using all of the attacking skills we have. Why use them and show our hand when we don't need to?

eels_fan

First Grade
I definitely feel we are only playing at 30-40% of our potential in most games this year. We’ve probably cracked 50% in a couple of games.

to me that says we have 200-300% improvement in us heading into the finals in 8 weeks time. Improve by 10% each game and we hit peak at the right time.

anyone think Penrith has another 200% in them? I don’t. They are peaking right now. They will struggle to sustain that for 8 weeks and then into the finals, and if they do it will have given opposition coaches enough time to plan to mitigate or limit their best football

Tooooks

Bench
Maybe BA is playing the long game and preparing for an ambush. If we fans know that we could offer more in attack through our strike back-rowers and our halves, don't you think BA knows this as well.
Maybe he is making us play predictable attack to lull the opposition into thinking that is all we have and then in the games that matter (i.e. the semi-finals, not Round 12 v Dogs) he will unleash the biggest, mostest, epicest secret ambush ever seen in the NRL. We are winning at 83% so far this season WITHOUT using all of the attacking skills we have. Why use them and show our hand when we don't need to?

This. BA is a lot more astute than many here give him credit for. I think we have a lot more improvement in us than Storm and Panthers.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We are a chance, any top 4 side is.

However Gould would know, that generally the better defensively sides are the ones that go far in the finals. We are currently the best defensive side. It has got us several wins this year.
It's clickbait. Of course we can win. Are we likely to win? There will be eight teams in the finals. All of them are more likely to not win the premiership than to win it.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I definitely feel we are only playing at 30-40% of our potential in most games this year. We’ve probably cracked 50% in a couple of games.

to me that says we have 200-300% improvement in us heading into the finals in 8 weeks time. Improve by 10% each game and we hit peak at the right time.

anyone think Penrith has another 200% in them? I don’t. They are peaking right now. They will struggle to sustain that for 8 weeks and then into the finals, and if they do it will have given opposition coaches enough time to plan to mitigate or limit their best football
*110%

eel01s

Bench
Yes! Especially the last sentence.

Having said that, our attack has looked very disjointed over the last month. I don't think that is exactly part of the plan.

84 Baby

Referee

Thanks Tommy Raudonikis

84 Baby

Referee
I think back to Will Smith’s try vs Scum in 2017. How many times did we run that play that season? Some of our fans definitely need some of some nasal spray for their prematurity