What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which team should relocate to western austrlia?

AFL
AFL-W
A-League
W-league
Super Rugby
Super-W
National Basketball League
WNBL
Australian Baseball League
Big Bash
WBBL
Hockey One
Womens Hockey One
Super Netball

Is that a list of every sports competition in Australia? wait no it doesn't have the NRL, must just be the list of competitions that manage to fly teams to and from Perth..

I seriously don't get why the NRL seems to be the only competition in the country that apparently cannot afford flights to Perth.

AwFuL cannot afford it either. I just gave you the link from AFL.COM.AU that proves it.

How much money does it cost to run a team in those minor sport leagues?

To compete in the NRL you need to generate a ton of revenue off the field just to get a team on it. You haven't shown me any evidence that a Perth team can do this in a midsized fumbleball mad city that is antagonistic towards RL. The Syorm had to be propped up foe 20 years by News Ltd and rhe ARLC to the tune of $101,500,000.

The Western Foece were axed by the broke ARU. If it wasn't for Twiggy Forrest they would be dead and buried.

NBL the other leagues are small fry. Some of them are semi professional and are run the way RL was in the 1970s. Others are barely professional. In the case of basketball you have far fewer players in a team to put on a plane. Cricket Australia can do it as they have bugger all teams to support.

What about Souths Rabbitohs, playing at Adelaide? they probably have the most national appeal of any club in the NRL and at the moment a pretty undefined location within Sydney (south sydney but claim their fans are all in the west)

End of the day no club should be forced to relocate, but carrots should definately be dangled for struggling ones (and I wouldn't say this is souths), but it is interesting to speculate purely based of branding etc
I like this idea. Southern Rabbitohs has a nice ring to it.

The team can still be called Souths and represent South Sydney and South Australia. But I would only have them play 6 games each year in Adelaide. The other six would be in Sydney. Some times less is more.

greenBV4

Bench
NBL the other leagues are small fry. Some of them are semi professional and are run the way RL was in the 1970s. Others are barely professional. In the case of basketball you have far fewer players in a team to put on a plane. Cricket Australia can do it as they have bugger all teams to support.
The fact that they are small fry and can still afford airfares to and from perth debunks any claim that airfares are a reson not to have a team in Perth. The cost to run a team in the NRL compared to other leagues has nothing to do with airfares so is besides the point being made

The main examples of perth teams struggling off the field are directly related to being coathanged by ridiculous rules or requests from threatened opposing teams.

greenBV4

Bench
The team can still be called Souths and represent South Sydney and South Australia. But I would only have them play 6 games each year in Adelaide. The other six would be in Sydney. Some times less is more.
As others have pointed out by only taking 6 games a year all you are doing is dooming the new market for failure, you wont get the new market fully embracing the team and the old one will still feel shafted, lose - lose

IF relocation is going to happen it has to be all in, if 1 Sydney team were to relocate there would still be a potential for 8 away games played in Sydney, and with an away membership fans who want to stick by the club will still get to see them locally, as well as on TV

As others have pointed out by only taking 6 games a year all you are doing is dooming the new market for failure, you wont get the new market fully embracing the team and the old one will still feel shafted, lose - lose

IF relocation is going to happen it has to be all in, if 1 Sydney team were to relocate there would still be a potential for 8 away games played in Sydney, and with an away membership fans who want to stick by the club will still get to see them locally, as well as on TV
This is just your opinion and there’s zero evidence to back it up.

Perth and Adelaide had teams of their own and their crowds nosedived in their second seasons. Putting new teams in these areas will most likely lead to the same thing happening again and it will be even harder to prop them up due to inflation making the cost of living much more expensive these days.

I don’t see any evidence that there’s enough demand in Adelaide and Perth to warrant them having standalone teams that play 12 games. There wasn’t in 1995-98 and the game is weaker there now than it was then. Start small and build it up from the ground with established teams from Sydney that are based out of Sydney. That’s how you will get Adelaide and Perth on board.

The fact that they are small fry and can still afford airfares to and from perth debunks any claim that airfares are a reson not to have a team in Perth. The cost to run a team in the NRL compared to other leagues has nothing to do with airfares so is besides the point being made

The main examples of perth teams struggling off the field are directly related to being coathanged by ridiculous rules or requests from threatened opposing teams.
The reason they can afford the air travel is because they don’t have to worry about the enormous expenses that come with running an NRL/AwFuL club. A Perth team in a minor league can get by on a couple of million or less and still be a powerhouse of the competition, whereas an NRL team will probably have to generate $40 million or more just to make an impact. Cam Smith said himself that the only way to make a dent in fumbleball territory is to have a team that always wins. To do that you need to be making more money than your opponents so you can afford the best recruitment officers, coaches, trainers, medical staff, analysts and under the table payments to the best juniors and seniors to keep them from going elsewhere.

Broncos generate what, $42 million?

Good luck finding a bunch of rich people in Perth willing to invest that sort of capital in a sport that they hate. Eagles make something like $90 million and still require assistance with air travel. There cannot be too many businessmen left who aren’t already associated with the Eagles and Dockers.

greenBV4

Bench

Perth and Adelaide had teams of their own and their crowds nosedived in their second seasons. Putting new teams in these areas will most likely lead to the same thing happening again and it will be even harder to prop them up due to inflation making the cost of living much more expensive these days.

I don’t see any evidence that there’s enough demand in Adelaide and Perth to warrant them having standalone teams that play 12 games. There wasn’t in 1995-98 and the game is no weaker there now than it was then. Start small and build it up from the ground with established teams from Sydney that are based out of Sydney. That’s how you will get Adelaide and Perth on board.
Using games to build up a following is good, both Adelaide and Perth should have more regualar stand alone games organised by the NRL. I went to the Adeliade game last year and was planning on driving over again this year (bloody covid), and I thought the city got behind the game really well considering they only one a year and shit all else effort goes into the city the rest of the time.

But don't force a club into trying to maintain 2 identities. The CC didnt accept the Northern Eagles as they wanted a team of their own, not one split over 3 areas trying to give each an equal share, and the Tigers to this day still struggle with identity issues and spreading themselves too thin, and thats just within Sydney! Im sure everything isn't all peachy with the dragons wollongong-sydney spit either and I believe that over time the gong's crowds would grow much quicker with 100% commitment

Using games to build up a following is good, both Adelaide and Perth should have more regualar stand alone games organised by the NRL. I went to the Adeliade game last year and was planning on driving over again this year (bloody covid), and I thought the city got behind the game really well considering they only one a year and shit all else effort goes into the city the rest of the time.

But don't force a club into trying to maintain 2 identities. The CC didnt accept the Northern Eagles as they wanted a team of their own, not one split over 3 areas trying to give each an equal share, and the Tigers to this day still struggle with identity issues and spreading themselves too thin, and thats just within Sydney! Im sure everything isn't all peachy with the dragons wollongong-sydney spit either and I believe that over time the gong's crowds would grow much quicker with 100% commitment
The Northern Eagles debacle began and ended with Manly sabotaging the venture from day one.

Illawarra Steelers drew shit attendances below 10,000 to their games.

greenBV4

Bench
The reason they can afford the air travel is because they don’t have to worry about the enormous expenses that come with running an NRL/AwFuL club. A Perth team in a minor league can get by on a couple of million or less and still be a powerhouse of the competition, whereas an NRL team will probably have to generate $40 million or more just to make an impact.
Understanding how income and expenses work might help you understand this

smaller leagues have less costs so they can afford air travel? they also have drastically less income, it all evens out

greenBV4

Bench
The Northern Eagles debacle began and ended with Manly sabotaging the venture from day one.

Illawarra Steelers drew shit attendances below 10,000 to their games.
And you don't think the Sydney half of a team split over 2 cities wouldnt try and sabotage Adelaide?

Teams to this day continue to regulary draw sub 10k crowds
last year kogarahs average was sub 10k, 1000 less than wollongong (which admittedly was also poor)

And you don't think the Sydney half of a team split over 2 cities wouldnt try and sabotage Adelaide?

Teams to this day continue to regulary draw sub 10k crowds
Put stand-alone teams in Adelaide and Perth and you will get sub-10k crowds regularly should the team not win all the time. The difference is they won’t have the capital to survive without funding from the ARLC. The other clubs will never agree to it as it will have a negative impact on them.

Whether you like it or not, the most likely scenario for RL fans in Adelaide and Perth to see regular RL is if a couple of Sydney clubs take six of their lowest drawing games against interstate teams to Perth Oval and Adelaide Oval. You’re not getting a stand-alone team, so the option is between zero games from no team or 6 games from a team that is semi-attached to the area. Six is better than none.

greenBV4

Bench
Whether you like it or not, the most likely scenario for RL fans in Adelaide and Perth to see regular RL is if a couple of Sydney clubs take six of their lowest drawing games against interstate teams to Perth Oval and Adelaide Oval. You’re not getting a stand-alone team, so the option is between zero games from no team or 6 games from a team that is semi-attached to the area. Six is better than none.
I think I misinterpreted you before, It would be great for a couple of teams taking 6 games total to perth and/or adelaide for the time being to help grow support, with the hope of this fostering its own team down the line in the future, just not the 1 team splitting itself between 2 locations

T-Boon

Coach

It would be the Sydney clubs idea though as they would have identified that it makes sense. So, no.

The beauty of being open minded to splitting games between the new city and the traditional sydney suburb is that the NRL could actually sweet talk a club into doing that with the right deal. A total overnight relocation is unlikely to ever happen. A gradual shift across is the only way to do it. In my opinion.

So Western Tigers for example could start by taking 3 home games to Perth with some sponsorship from the WA government. Then a few years later take 4 and in return all their sydney home games are at Leichardt, then a few years later take 6. In exchange they get money from the NRL and maybe extra cap space or an extra home game.

Understanding how income and expenses work might help you understand this

smaller leagues have less costs so they can afford air travel? they also have drastically less income, it all evens out
I understsnd it perfectly. Raising a couple of million to run a team in a league when you're a minority sport is doable. The burden of air travel can be accommodated when you're only dealing with a few million dollars a year. Trying to raise $30-$40 million a year and also cover travel when you're a minotity sport is impossible.

I think I misinterpreted you before, It would be great for a couple of teams taking 6 games total to perth and/or adelaide for the time being to help grow support, with the hope of this fostering its own team down the line in the future, just not the 1 team splitting itself between 2 locations
Wests would take six games to Perth as Western Tigers and Souths would take six games to Adelaide as Southern Rabbitohs.

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
West Coast Tigers
  • Minimal name change that also is relevant to the new location
  • Links to the foundations of the game
  • Sizeable fan base in Sydney for away games
  • Solves the Tigers' multiple homes situation

greenBV4

Bench
West Coast Tigers
  • Minimal name change that also is relevant to the new location
  • Links to the foundations of the game
  • Sizeable fan base in Sydney for away games
  • Solves the Tigers' multiple homes situation
name wise it works really well (can still be refered to as wests)

but I would be wary of using a team with a popular AFL name in the AFL states, It's probably not that big a deal as it is a different city but they might have a harder time getting AFL fans to pick up a team called "Tigers" as a second team like many AFL fans in Melbourne have with the Storm

blue bags

First Grade
It would be the Sydney clubs idea though as they would have identified that it makes sense. So, no.

The beauty of being open minded to splitting games between the new city and the traditional sydney suburb is that the NRL could actually sweet talk a club into doing that with the right deal. A total overnight relocation is unlikely to ever happen. A gradual shift across is the only way to do it. In my opinion.

So Western Tigers for example could start by taking 3 home games to Perth with some sponsorship from the WA government. Then a few years later take 4 and in return all their sydney home games are at Leichardt, then a few years later take 6. In exchange they get money from the NRL and maybe extra cap space or an extra home game.
so if roosters play some games at brookvale, they could get extra cap space :D

mongoose

Coach

I don’t see any evidence that there’s enough demand in Adelaide and Perth to warrant them having standalone teams that play 12 games. There wasn’t in 1995-98 and the game is weaker there now than it was then. Start small and build it up from the ground with established teams from Sydney that are based out of Sydney. That’s how you will get Adelaide and Perth on board.

Didn't they nosedive because of a thing called Super League war though?
You put a team in Perth because it's the 4th largest city in the country which brings huge upside to the whole comp. The fact that V'landys and some other decision making people don't see this is quite honestly suspicious....

Seems like you just like to rage against Perth to try and rile up Perth Red...

blue bags

First Grade
Put stand-alone teams in Adelaide and Perth and you will get sub-10k crowds regularly should the team not win all the time. The difference is they won’t have the capital to survive without funding from the ARLC. The other clubs will never agree to it as it will have a negative impact on them.

Souths, Bulldogs, Parramatta, Penrith to stay "as is"

Manly to become "North Shore Sea Eagles", or "North Harbour Eagles" or something similar - represent the whole north side, playing out of either a new boutique ground there (if funding allows.. don't know whether that would be redeveliped Brookie or a newsite), or Moore Park.

Roosters to move to Gosford, East Coast Roosters or Central Coast Roosters. Reciprocal ticketing so they can sell Sydney 'away' game membership packages for Sydney based fans.

St George-Illawarra to move Woolongong, with the same sort of reciprocal ticketing deal as Roosters for Sydney fans.

Tigers to share new stadium with the new A-League team, move to Southwest Sydney.

Cronulla to be demoted to NSW Cup.

This opens a spot so that 3 teams can be added - Perth, Brisbane 2 & NZ 2, bringing the competition to 18 teams with a spread of NSW teams from the 'Gong to Newcastle AND reasonable Sydney coverage.
some very good ideas

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
name wise it works really well (can still be refered to as wests)

but I would be wary of using a team with a popular AFL name in the AFL states, It's probably not that big a deal as it is a different city but they might have a harder time getting AFL fans to pick up a team called "Tigers" as a second team like many AFL fans in Melbourne have with the Storm

Yes, I guess the Swans have a similar benefit, no RL team using the mascot.

Latest posts