What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 18 vs Raiders

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Young channelling Mary with these selections. No rhyme or reason to them. Lawrie-best prop on the park against the Cowboys and gets dropped to the bench. Dufty- abysmally bad- keeps his spot- why not give Ramsey a run there? Yes Deano- same old excrement -but what we got from our former coach
Ellis did well too in the stats department. Maybe they just see Lawrie as a bit of a leader so at the first change we are still keeping some firepower on the bench.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Ellis did well too in the stats department. Maybe they just see Lawrie as a bit of a leader so at the first change we are still keeping some firepower on the bench.

I'm not sure what stats you're referring to but Ellis imo has been disappointing-as has Kerr. I was initially against signing Welch but compared to those two he is an absolute warrior- he was smashing into and bending the line against Souths, getting offloads away- all the things you want from a prop. Sorry now he won't be joining us. Kerr and Ellis need to be put on a raw meat diet and somehow get a lot more mongrel into their play.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I'm not sure what stats you're referring to but Ellis imo has been disappointing-as has Kerr. I was initially against signing Welch but compared to those two he is an absolute warrior- he was smashing into and bending the line against Souths, getting offloads away- all the things you want from a prop. Sorry now he won't be joining us. Kerr and Ellis need to be put on a raw meat diet and somehow get a lot more mongrel into their play.
He only played 33 minutes but he made 133 metres, 62 of those post contact. Similar metres to Lawrie but Lawrie also made 47 tackles.

getsmarty

Immortal
Repentant Vaughan out to prove his worth for Dragons
Dragons Den
r0_744_5230_3487_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

ATONEMENT: Paul Vaughan is chomping at the bit to return from a frustrating month. Picture: NRL Imagery
A WEEK'S a long time in rugby league, but two slow weeks in isolation can feel more like an eternity.

That's how it felt for Dragons prop Paul Vaughan after he was forced into a 14-day COVID lockdown after admitting to dining out in Wollongong on the morning of his side's round-13 clash with the Roosters.

He subsequently missed that match, and the dramatic week that followed with Paul McGregor's departure and emotional victory over Parramatta.

READ MORE: Players can't dodge scrutiny as new Dragons era begins

Vaughan said not being able to farewell McGregor was one of his biggest regrets over the slip-up that cost him two matches and a $10,000 fine.

"It was pretty frustrating that I wasn't out there, I think what hurt me the most was that I let the boys down," Vaughan said.

"It's not what I'm about, I like to get out there and contribute as much as I can so it was pretty heartbreaking to not be able to do that. It was a bit if a weird time to be honest because I obviously wasn't allowed around training and around that time Mary got let go.

"I had a very close strong relationship with Mary. He brought me to the club and we developed a very strong connection over the years. That's an unfortunate thing I missed out on, when Mary was let go I couldn't say my goodbyes face to face which was upsetting.

"I've obviously paid the price for what's happened and I'm looking to get back out there this weekend and do a job for the boys. I just really want to play footy because the last month has been pretty tedious."

The frustration continued in his return, becoming one of the first targets of a league-wide crackdown on crusher tackles despite what looked like an innocuous tangle with Broncos winger Richie Kennar.

It meant another two weeks on the sideline, mercifully not in isolation, but he was forced to sit back as the Dragons let game against the Titans and Cowboys. They face an even tougher task against Canberra in Wollongong on Saturday and the 29-year-old is keen to make up for lost time.

"I'm really looking forward to getting back," he said.

"Watching the boys go around knowing I can't help them hurt me a fair bit. It was pretty hard coming back and getting [charged with] a crusher tackle but you have to cop it on the chin.

"The game's cracking down on that and it was an unfortunate one, it is what it is. They're obviously trying to rub that out of the game and I got another two weeks there. I got stuck into training and worked a few things and I'm ready to go."

His second stint on the sideline saw another change in coach, in the long-term sense, with Anthony Griffin appointed to take the reins from next year.

READ MORE: Nines sensation Ramsey set to debut against Raiders

Vaughan expects his side will want to impress the incoming coach over what's shaping as a tough run home.

"Obviously the club's headed in a new direction and it's a good chance for the club to start fresh and rebuild," Vaughan said.

"I haven't had much to do with [Griffin] but from all reports he's a great coach. With a new coach coming in there's a little bit of uncertainty there too with some playing futures, you don't really know what sort of roster Anthony wants.

"All the boys will be looking forward to proving themselves, whether it be boys coming off-contract or not, it'll bring the best out of a few boys so that's exciting."

Vaughan will have other motivations over the final month of the competition as he pushes to hold onto his NSW jumper, though it's not the first thing on his mind.

"Obviously it hasn't been a great year so I'm not really thinking about State of Origin at the moment," he said.

"I wouldn't say the ship's sailed but there's a lot of depth there for the Blues in the forwards. I'm just thinking about coming back and playing well for the Dragons.

"I'm not too sure what's happening there with the bubble. We haven't really been told, I'm sure that'll come when the date's closer but [NSW] will be fine either way.

"It's a very strong team they've got there, forwards and backs, so whichever way they go I think it's going to pretty dominant either way."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...n-out-to-prove-his-worth-for-dragons/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Departing Dragons stars need to fire down home stretch
Local Sport
r0_0_4903_3277_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

FOCUSED: Euan Aitken wants to finish his time at the Dragons on a high. Picture: NRL Imagery
THEY'VE got more than enough NRL runs on the board but soon-to-depart Dragons pair Tyson Frizell and Euan Aitken know they're not guaranteed a start beyond this weekend.

Aitken enjoyed an indifferent 2019 season and was overlooked for round one but has fully rebooted his career since returning to his preferred spot in round five.

The form surge, however, wasn't enough for the Dragons to even offer him a deal for next season, prompting the 25-year-old to link with the Warriors for 2021 and beyond.

A desire to re-sign highly touted twins Max and Matt Feagai was a a primary factor in that call. With finals off the table, fans are clamouring to see Max get an opportunity before the season's out - as coach Dean Young has done with young-gun Cody Ramsey this week.

Young may also have the desire to give Brayden WIliame - who's signed for 2021 - some footy over the final fortnight, while Blues hopeful Zac Lomax isn't going anywhere.

Aitken has a strong desire to see out his time at the club in the top grade but says he'll have to cop it on the chin if Young decides to look to the future beyond Saturday's clash with the Raiders.

"I'd be disappointed not to finish in first grade but I can obviously understand too, they want to prepare for the future," Aitken said.

"At the same time, I always go onto the field wanting to compete and wanting to win and I'm sure I'm playing good enough footy to stay in the side. If they want to look to the future that's their choice, it's out of my hands really, but I'm still passionate about the club until I finish.

"You look at our season and there's plenty of games we probably should've won, we win a couple more of them and it's a different story. Unfortunately we haven't and that's disappointing because I'd love to go out of this club playing finals football.

"I'm very passionate about playing here, I still am, and I want to finish the year on a high. My mindset's always to win so I'll keep doing that."

Frizell was at the centre of a well-publicised bidding war before the season commenced, ultimately committing to Newcastle on a three-year deal from next season.

A Test and Origin mainstay, it's been a long time since he's had a fight on his hands for his spot in clubland. He's unlikely to be shifted, but he accepts a poor performance could change that.

"That can happen in the position that we're in, maybe they want to blood some young guys that haven't been able to play any footy," Frizell said.

"They're training really well and, I think for everyone, if we're not playing well or no doing our job they're not going to be afraid to sit someone out for a week."

Going without finals football is unlikely to cost Frizell his Origin jumper, though the series will look very different this season and will involve re-entering another bubble for up eight weeks.

Players are also likely to cop a hit to their hip pocket but Frizell said neither is likely to see him, or anyone else, turn down the chance to wear a Blues jumper.

"For all us players we want to get the game back to normal financially and, if Origin is going to help with that, match payments aren't a big deal for us," he said.

"I'd love to get out of the bubble, as soon as possible, but if they need to keep us in to train on our own or with a group, so be it. It's not ideal but everyone wants to play Origin footy and I'll put my hand up if that needs to happen.

"Teams will still be playing finals so we don't have an excuse to get out of the bubble. Whatever we need to do we'll do. It's a bit of an unknown, I'm just going to have to be keeping well and fit for as long as I can until we know what the go is there."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...-stars-need-to-fire-down-home-stretch/?cs=302

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Wasnt sure where to post this but thought seeing its this weeks game most would read.....has anyone heard from Old Kogarah Boy...havnt sighted his posts for a while since Ive been back on board

possm

Coach
I really don't care about the win or loss of this game and indeed the rest of the games this season. I will be closely looking at Ramsey this week and how he combines with Lomax.

I hope to see other young guns given their debut and be on show for us Dragon fans to see in full flight. I remain optimistic and excited about the possibilities we have for season 2021.

2020 is a good year mainly because we have recruited a good CEO and a great head coach. Now for the hard stuff, forming a player squad that will compete well next season.

Mjab

Juniors
I hope that Flanagan is calling most of the shots now as the experienced premiership winning coach in the team and not more of the same Mary /Deano shit we have been getting dished up the last 2 weeks

Hopefully I wont see EA name on next weeks team sheet and either Williame or a Fergai instead

SAP58

Juniors
I hope that Flanagan is calling most of the shots now as the experienced premiership winning coach in the team and not more of the same Mary /Deano shit we have been getting dished up the last 2 weeks

Hopefully I wont see EA name on next weeks team sheet and either Williame or a Fergai instead
If reports are correct and Young is looking elsewhere and Flanagan & Shepherd have been told he is not needed next year god know what to expect over the next few weeks.

getsmarty

Immortal
team_web.jpg

TEAM LISTS

Presented By

24-hour warning: Round 18 v Canberra Raiders
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Fri 11 Sep 2020, 03:00 PM

St George Illawarra interim coach Dean Young has trimmed his squad ahead of the Dragons' Round 18 i98FM Illawarra Convoy Round clash against the Canberra Raiders at WIN Stadium, Wollongong on Sunday, September 6.

Cody Ramsey will become St George Illawarra player No. 235 after being named on the wing for his NRL debut in place of Mikaele Ravalawa.

Paul Vaughan (suspension) returns in the front row and will be joined alongside by the promoted Kaide Ellis. Blake Lawrie and Josh Kerr revert to the interchange while Tyrell Fuimaono drops back to the reserves.

Brayden Wiliame and Max Feagai are the two players to drop out of Tuesday's initial 21-man squad.

The Dragons will still celebrate the i98FM Illawarra Convoy Round this weekend despite Covid-19 preventing it from going ahead in 2020. Raising funds for those in need and the Illawarra Community Foundation, make sure you buy a ticket in the 50-50 charity raffle now.

Amended squad for Round 18 v Canberra Raiders –
1. Matt Dufty – sponsored by EFEX
2. Jordan Pereira – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski
3. Euan Aitken – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
4. Zac Lomax – sponsored by Floormania
5. Cody Ramsey – sponsored by Nutrition Station
6. Corey Norman – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
7. Adam Clune – sponsored by Baytek Construction
8. Kaide Ellis – sponsored by TripADeal
9. Ben Hunt – sponsored by Paul's Customs and Forwarding Solutions
10. Paul Vaughan – sponsored by Fox Property
11. Tyson Frizell – sponsored by Modus Projects
12. Jacob Host – sponsored by CMG Audio Visual
13. Cameron McInnes (c) – sponsored by Dincel Construction System

Interchange:
14. Billy Brittain – sponsored by Trendline
15. Josh Kerr – sponsored by Professionals Padstow
16. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by SMAI
17. Jackson Ford – sponsored by Bodytech Fitness
18. Eddie Blacker
19. Tyrell Fuimaono

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/09/11/nrl-team-round-18-v-canberra-raiders/

Mjab

Juniors
If reports are correct and Young is looking elsewhere and Flanagan & Shepherd have been told he is not needed next year god know what to expect over the next few weeks.

Maybe some entertaining football for a change if the players take charge

They did say that the players did what they wanted not game plan in the Broncs / Saints final win a few years ago
Nothing to do with Marys gameplan

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons' coach Dean Young has the utmost faith in debutant Cody Ramsey
  • Local Sport
    r0_201_4300_2619_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

MUST-SEE TV: Molong youngster Cody Ramsey will make his NRL debut this weekend after putting on a show in this year's Auckland Nines.
    He's only been at the helm of the St George Illawarra Dragons for three weeks but Red V veteran Dean Young didn't need to think twice about what the highlight of his young coaching career has been so far - giving Cody Ramsey his first professional start.

The premiership-winning hardman took the reins of the Dragons in the wake of Paul McGregor's departure and had the pleasure of making the announcement to the 20-year-old on Tuesday.

"It was really special," Young said.
    "To see a kid who works so hard on his game and the story behind it.

"When he was playing under 20s he was living in Heathcote and getting up at 4am in the morning, driving to Liverpool, going to work all day then making the trip to Wollongong to train.

"He was the best trainer there and didn't get home until 9pm and he'd wake up and do it all again the next day."

Ramsey's (literally) got big shoes to fill as he'll step in for Mikaele Ravalawa who was given a week off in the wake of the loss at North Queensland.
    And while Young knows how good Ramsey can be at the top grade, he isn't putting the weight of the world on his shoulders ahead of his first NRL game.

"I'm not expecting the world of him," he said.

"I know he's going to go out there and do what he does on the training paddock and that's give his best.

"The boys are rapt for him."

Cody Ramsey is one of 13 starting players that will need to collectively lift for the Canberra clash as the loss against the Cowboys last time out wasn't good enough.

"We worked on our fundamentals on Tuesday because that's what cost us against the Cowboys," he said. "It's our last game at WIN Stadium so we want to go out there and put on a show for the fans."
    Saturday's clash represents a really tough task for the Dragons as they'll welcome the Canberra Raiders to town, a team that's only gotten better after losing one of their most influential players.

"For them to lose their best player in Josh Hodgson and keep rolling on shows how resilient they are," he said. "We need to be switched on."

One of the areas of focus ahead of the tilt will be centred around Ramsey as Young wants to stifle Canberra's wing duo of Nick Cotric and Jordan Rapana.

But the Green Machine's halves duo might be more threatening than that one as the Wighton-Williams combo has improved rapidly since the season resumption.

"They're going to throw a lot of dummies and run the ball," he said. "We need to address that because they're coming."

Latest posts