What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Maddragon99

Juniors
Bst for both parties I think

Young officially tells Dragons he’ll depart club at season’s end
f652db0d116e341c2d43dfeee55466f0

Interim Dragons coach Dean Young (left) will depart the club at season’s end. (Photo by Mark Kolbe/Getty Images)
Interim Dragons coach Dean Young has told the club he will depart at season’s end, after 17 years of connection to the St George Illawarra club.

According to multiple reports, Young informed the club of his exit on Wednesday afternoon.

He took over the top job after Paul McGregor was shown the door, but was ultimately beaten to the long-term head coaching position by Anthony Griffin who will pick up the reigns next season.

Griffin has already started putting things in place, reportedly telling assistants Shane Flanagan and James Shepherd they wouldn’t have jobs at the club next year. However, he had hoped Young would remain with the Red V.

36-year-old Young, a premiership winner with the Dragons as a player in 2010, is expected to take up an assistant role with a rival club.

EARLY MAIL: Broncos Gamble on unknown half; grand final hero can’t get a game

TRANSFER WHISPERS: Rivals circle as Test star walks; Storm’s Foxx ultimatum

He has been linked to the Cowboys under incoming coach Todd Payten, and the Knights — whom the Dragons face on Sunday — under Adam O’Brien.

Young has had a tough run since stepping up to the top job, winning just one of four games.

Unsainty79

Juniors
Heard some rumours today:
- Young 100% gone (now confirmed)
- Young chased by Cowboys, Raiders, Chooks and Tigers

and most concerning:
- Tigers have sounded out McInnes - they think McInnes would be very interested if Young joins Tigers.

And in Griffin:
- He will look to move Norman to 14 and if successful looking to moving him to left edge either as centre or second row. Apparently similar to how Tyrone May is playing.

Again all rumours but who knows...

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

and most concerning:
- Tigers have sounded out McInnes - they think McInnes would be very interested if Young joins Tigers.

And in Griffin:
- He will look to move Norman to 14 and if successful looking to moving him to left edge either as centre or second row. Apparently similar to how Tyrone May is playing.

I'd prefer that Norman not be moved to left edge but left right out.

mickeylane

Bench
I'd prefer that Norman not be moved to left edge but left right out.
I still believe Griffin WILL NOT go w Hunt/Clune combo next year...no chance...too risky not in his first year of coaching the club...he would be looking for a certain solution at 5/8 and Norman is definitely not that - I'm really thinking that Maloney may be a real option here ...I just can't see Griffin taking any risks ...he's actually showing his cards already by trying to lure hardened pro like Mcguire ...you can add Maloney to that list IMO..

Gareth67

First Grade
I still believe Griffin WILL NOT go w Hunt/Clune combo next year...no chance...too risky not in his first year of coaching the club...he would be looking for a certain solution at 5/8 and Norman is definitely not that - I'm really thinking that Maloney may be a real option here ...I just can't see Griffin taking any risks ...he's actually showing his cards already by trying to lure hardened pro like Mcguire ...you can add Maloney to that list IMO..

You may be right about Maloney mickey . As you have said Griffin won’t dilly-dally around with the current much vaunted Dragon spine . He will start afresh with a combination that already has runs on the board .

I myself would not mind Maloney in the halves for 1 season to cement a base from which the Dragons attack can flow . And Maloney with his bags of tricks is the perfect individual to do this . Certainly getting on in years , but he would do wonders for the Big Red V in a 12 month period - he could possibly be our version of Mr. C. Smith from the Storm .

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade

and most concerning:

And in Griffin:

He doesn’t even hardly run the ball at 6 let alone in forwards.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I
I feel he will go Hunt/Norman it’s just a feeling but I feel he will have a point to prove that he can get them going again as a combo, particularly Hunt.

redv13

Bench

and most concerning:

And in Griffin:

If Norman ever plays 2nd row for Saints I’ll shout the Orangeman and his Illawarra mates crownies for a year