What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Finals Week 1 vs Rabbitohs @ ANZ Stadium

Who will win? Finals Week 1: Rabbitohs v Knights

• South Sydney Rabbitohs 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Newcastle Knights 13+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We have a good roster, yes we're missing some crucial positions ( 5/8 being one )

Anytime you have 40 put on you the team simply isnt mentally strong. There's a weakness at a leadership level.
Sure, we're rotten to the core with the Pearce boys club culture but I still don't think Fitz, Sione, Pearce, an ageing Guerra, an out of position Mann and Hoy on the bench are ever things that should happen in a top squad. Combine that with forwards who are ok but are one dimensional and lack ball-playing ability and that's just too many negatives working against us imo. The curse of the 9 jersey doesn't help either.

The roster is ok but far from Top 4 standard. We don't even have a halfback or 5/8th.

Spot On

Coach
Why is our defence so passive? We were more aggressive and had more intent at the start of the season. Gone backwards.

This needs to be addressed before next season because it is THE biggest issue we have outside of the halves.

We are incredibly soft considering we carry 3 x 6 foot 5 forwards in the pack.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Pearce may come back better next year but this year he was very average in defense and kicking, leadership up for debate too. No harm in asking the questions and I'm sure the club is too, hence why he hasn't been re-signed just yet for a further season.
I've read an article about 2 days ago by Brent Reed - Pearce is about to put pen to paper on a 1 year extension*

* It was on sporting news which for some bizarre reason we arent allowed o post their links on this forum

Knight Vision

First Grade
This needs to be addressed before next season because it is THE biggest issue we have outside of the halves.

We are incredibly soft considering we carry 3 x 6 foot 5 forwards in the pack.
that's mental attitude, not much of from our losses have been downright poor talent or inability so much as a lousy f**king attitude

Yosh

Coach
Sort of summarizes our season.

Some signs of promise. Can't win the arm wrestle as we are physically and mentally weak. Then go on to keep making mistakes and give the opposition all the chances in the world to win.

We also go into our shell when we go down and never attempt a common back. Down by 6-8 and don't do anything special to try get back into the game.

Frustrating. The first twenty minutes should be our template. Why didn't we stick to that for the other 60 minutes?

Jono078

Referee
I've read an article about 2 days ago by Brent Reed - Pearce is about to put pen to paper on a 1 year extension*

* It was on sporting news which for some bizarre reason we arent allowed o post their links on this forum
I thought the club was still considering whether they tabled the offer to him and just Pearce was confident of an extension.

Jono078

Referee
I understand what he was trying to do... but he doesn't have the cattle to execute his okan ... yet.. Hoy is a Johns' brother push. Might be a good player there but years off yet.

This isnt the 'nines'.
I actually meant that Hoy clearly wasn't fit. He was limping for most of his time on the field. You can't take a passenger into a finals game.

Alex28

Coach
Absolutely not easy! If it were we wouldn't be in a 19 year drought.

But we gotta be honest and identify certain shortcomings and benchmarks and make the necessary adjustments to put ourselves in the best position.

Pearce may come back better next year but this year he was very average in defense and kicking, leadership up for debate too. No harm in asking the questions and I'm sure the club is too, hence why he hasn't been re-signed just yet for a further season.
There is little doubt that both Pearce and Ponga have been playing injured. We have lacked a genuine 6 except for the few games that Blake Green played for us. The back half of the season has been a struggle.

I’m encouraged that the club is saying 5/8 is a priority. Crossland and Hoy aren’t there yet. We have Pearce for a few more years yet. He needs some help.

I don’t think he is captain material either, but I’m yet to hear of anyone else at the club who is...

Silent Knight

First Grade
There is little doubt that both Pearce and Ponga have been playing injured. We have lacked a genuine 6 except for the few games that Blake Green played for us. The back half of the season has been a struggle.

I’m encouraged that the club is saying 5/8 is a priority. Crossland and Hoy aren’t there yet. We have Pearce for a few more years yet. He needs some help.

I don’t think he is captain material either, but I’m yet to hear of anyone else at the club who is...

A few more years yet? F*ck off!

Old dog

Bench
Not intended as coach bashing but final team selection seemed strange, initial selection may not have gone any better but consider it, why?
Did we move Barnett to second row, played poorly
Did we move Mann to 5/8
Did we drop Lino, a playmaker and goal kicker
Did we bring Hoy to the bench to have him sit most of game on sideline then look unfit/injured
Did we leave Guerra on bench when his experience was needed at start
Yes they may have trained that way for the past week but not the same as playing in same/familiar position

Spot On

Coach
I thought the club was still considering whether they tabled the offer to him and just Pearce was confident of an extension.

Today was his chance to push for that extension... his last chance.

The club deserves everything it gets from here.

Just remember.. the Titans took a chance on a 26 yr old half that has out played Pearce this season by miles. Cost them f**k all.

Why would we extend Pearce????????

Knight Vision

First Grade
And that is a major issue right there.

There are no genuine leaders in the squad, at least not apparent from a distant observation or with a history of strong leadership qualities.

We have Pearce who I think it's almost universally agreed he isnt a Captain, then we have who?

We have a very young squad that is lacking a real leader with a high quality leadership group around him.

Edit - Brailely our injured hooker looked and sounded like a leader to me....young yes ....but he has what it takes I believe

Latest posts