What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Erin Molan

magpie_man

Juniors
The Daily Mail is the Jerry Springer of news media. Absolute trash.

As for Erin Molan - I don't have a view either way on her abilities as a presenter but I do have a strong view that the rubbish she's copped is attrocious. And I back her 100% for calling it out.

The old "well don't go on social media then" is an absolute wank argument.

In here on the forums - much of the posting is people trying to 1-up others, arguing, smart arse remarks etc but there's guidelines and moderators who can ensure it doesn't get out of hand. Nothing like that of on many social media platforms - and she's championing change. Good on her.

Some people has been driven to the brink, many pushed over the edge, as a result of trolls on social media. I can't support her enough in her cause.

Well said.
Just on her ability as a presenter: unfortunately I just don't think she has it. Even after a number of years being in the job she still is so awkward and stilted on camera - I don't think she has the charisma or temperament to pull it off (unlike a James Bracey or Yvonne Sampson).
Because of this, I actually find the Sunday Footy Show unwatchable - apart from Sterlo's 8 minutes with the journos.
I'm not having a go at her, it's just how I see it. I think a better role for her would be a sideline presenter.

Well said.
Just on her ability as a presenter: unfortunately I just don't think she has it. Even after a number of years being in the job she still is so awkward and stilted on camera - I don't think she has the charisma or temperament to pull it off (unlike a James Bracey or Yvonne Sampson).
Because of this, I actually find the Sunday Footy Show unwatchable - apart from Sterlo's 8 minutes with the journos.
I'm not having a go at her, it's just how I see it. I think a better role for her would be a sideline presenter.

All good mate. Your Erin Molan is my Yvonne Sampson - I personally believe her hosting abilities have gone downhill and still accelerating in the last two years. Amongst my pet hates, my biggest beef was when she accused Ben Hunt of faking an injury earlier this season, which was total BS. I now switch off when she's on - although hard to avoid if it's a game day where she's in the chair. I'll hit mute at half time.

That said, I would never wish her any ill-will, harm or go to the extent of trolling her on the socials. I just ignore her on my TV.

And it's not a female thing, I think there's some great female talent in the NRL media and personally like seeing so many women on our screens in the modern day (Lara Pitt is a standout for mine). There's plenty of blokes I hate hearing/seeing and the mute button goes on for them too.

T-Boon

Coach
She is far too much of a whiner to be well respected as a rugby league person. How many irons does she have in the fire as a victim? this defamation case, the 60 minutes thing, the Andrew Johns thing. It just goes on and on. Just get over yourself.

Steel Saints

Juniors
Well said.

Yeah i agree. I find the Sunday Footy Show rather boring to watch except for the journos segment. There has got to be more to the show than just reviewing the weekends games and interviewing the same players (Murray, Cleary etc) via streaming. As for Molan, as host, her knowledge of the game is rather limited. She should just have a similar role to Jake Duke, which is been a reporter on the show.

mongoose

Coach
All good mate. Your Erin Molan is my Yvonne Sampson - I personally believe her hosting abilities have gone downhill and still accelerating in the last two years. Amongst my pet hates, my biggest beef was when she accused Ben Hunt of faking an injury earlier this season, which was total BS. I now switch off when she's on - although hard to avoid if it's a game day where she's in the chair. I'll hit mute at half time.

That said, I would never wish her any ill-will, harm or go to the extent of trolling her on the socials. I just ignore her on my TV.

And it's not a female thing, I think there's some great female talent in the NRL media and personally like seeing so many women on our screens in the modern day (Lara Pitt is a standout for mine). There's plenty of blokes I hate hearing/seeing and the mute button goes on for them too.

Sampson tires to sensationalize things too much but she is still way above Molan who barely seems to take her role seriously.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I remember when he was on Footy Show every now and then around maybe 2012 or 2013, cant exactly remember, but when they had Women in League round, both her and Yvonne Sampson were on the show as guest panelists. Erin's knowledge to League compared to Yvonne's was like me talking about the NHL. Yvonne talked about being a mad Broncos fan when she was little and her favourite player was Steve Renouf. Then Erin admitted she followed Canberra but was kind of Rugby Union fan back in the day.

Although she's still knows quite a bit of League now, her knowledge, passion and presenting skills arent as good as the girls on the Fox League.

Not that its her fault or a bad thing but Ch 9 really boosted her as a Female League expert and presenter.

And I also remember at the time they boosted her as a "first" female for Rugby League coverage when she was doing sideline gigs as well, yet people seem to forget Debbie Spillane for the ABC in the 90s.

Look I don't mind the Sunday Footy show but as a presenter she seems a bit lost and distracted with Sterlo and Freddy's occasional joke.

When Bracey was hosting it was better but he's now on Wide World of Sports or Sports Sunday whatever they want to call it, I refuse to watch it given its crap format, bring back Ken Sutcliffe.

As for social media trolls, you see so many idiots out there just say bad stuff for the sake of it, even if its a positive post online, some germ decides to say something negative. A lot of it is waaay over the top, so some of that stuff mentioned is appalling.

blue bags

First Grade
Video: Radio and TV presenter Erin Molan is accused in court documents of mocking ethnic accents and using 'offensive stereotypes' in 'objectively racist' broadcasts
Media presenter Erin Molan is accused of being 'racist' in a series of radio segments on 2GB's Continuous Call Team.

Share this video:
Video: Erin Molan accused of being 'racist' in a series of radio segments
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/n...lan-accused-racist-series-radio-segments.html

blue bags

First Grade
Video: Erin Molan's defamation case against Daily Mail Australia to centre on whether she is 'racist or not' as court told of her mocking a Fijian footballer's name by singing to the tune of In the Mighty Jungle
Erin Molan and The Continuous Call Team sing In the Mighty Jungle using Fijian footballer's surname

Share this video:
Video: Erin Molan sings in In the Jungle about fujian football player
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/n...olan-sings-Jungle-fujian-football-player.html

blue bags

First Grade
Erin Molan's defamation case against Daily Mail Australia to centre on whether she is 'racist or not' as court told of her mocking a Fijian footballer's name by singing to the tune of In the Mighty Jungle
  • Erin Molan was accused of mocking Pacific Islander names on live radio
  • Molan is suing Daily Mail Australia over its coverage of these and other remarks
  • Claims she was portrayed as a racist and an 'arrogant woman of white privilege'
  • Defence argues the case comes down to key issue: 'Is Molan racist?'
  • Molan's lawyer told court his client 'doesn't have a racist bone in her body'
  • Claims 'firestorm' generated by articles was designed to damage her reputation
By DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA REPORTER AND AAP

PUBLISHED: 15:15 AEDT, 16 October 2020 | UPDATED: 15:42 AEDT, 16 October 2020

The mocking of a Fijian footballer's name by singing In the Mighty Jungle has been put forward in court as an example that radio and TV presenter Erin Molan 'engaged in racist behaviour'.

In the first hearing of the defamation case between Ms Molan and Daily Mail Australia on Friday, the Federal Court was told the publication had found 24 instances of Ms Molan engaging in racist behaviour including the mocking of ethnic names and putting on fake accents on radio.

This included singing to the tune of the well-known 'lion sleeps tonight song' In the Mighty Jungle when discussing the name of a Fijian footballer.

The sports presenter is suing Daily Mail Australia for defamation claiming she was portrayed as racist, callous and arrogant in an article and tweets about her saying "hooka looka mooka hooka fooka" on air in June.

Daily Mail in its defence says the imputations except one are substantially true, and that her conduct on air was 'objectively racist'.

31108212-8833163-image-a-15_1602634908119.jpg

Molan is suing Daily Mail Australia over a series of articles on June 4 to 5 that accused her of mocking Islander names by uttering 'hooka looka mooka hooka fooka' on radio

Ms Molan's barrister Sandy Dawson SC accused the media outlet of running an ongoing campaign against Molan, a Nine Network presenter and co-host of the 2GB rugby league show, The Continuous Call Team.

Mr Dawson said Daily Mail had 'generated a firestorm' of publicity against his client and there had been 'no suggestion of racism' against her until the publication had 'generated that hype'.

'There is an ongoing campaign by the Daily Mail to damage Ms Molan's reputation, to do so entirely illegitimately,' he told the court.

Mr Dawson also said the organisation, by publishing online its defence to the claim, was spreading the two main falsities outlined in her statement of claim - that she had described the hooka phrase as an "in-joke" and had refused to apologise.

'What they did was, they set her up,' he said.

But Daily Mail Australia lawyer Paul Svilans said the heart of the case was whether Ms Molan was racist or not?

'That’s the key issue in the case,' he said.

'Is she racist because of that behaviour or not?'

Erin Molan (pictured left) alleged to mock the names of Pacific Islander NRL players live on 2GB radio's The Continuous Call

Mr Svilans said the defence was pleading "truth' to all the defamatory meanings except one alleged by Molan.

'We have put on a defence with 24 instances of when the applicant has engaged in racist behaviour," he said.

Daily Mail Australia was relying on things like Molan putting on Japanese, Chinese and Indonesian accents and mocking Pacific Islander names and singing In the Mighty Jungle, Mr Svilans said.

Mr Dawson said Ms Molan did not have a 'racist bone in her body', and flagged he may apply to strike out parts of the defence.

'We want the issues at trial to be the real issues and not some distraction, he said.

The In the Mighty Jungle reference relates to Ms Molan and other presenters on The Continuous Call Team singing parts of the well known lion sleeps tonight song on August 19, 2017 when discussing the Fijian player by the name of Nakubuwa.

The example is documented in Daily Mail Australia's 61-page defence filed on Monday.

Justice Robert Bromwich on Friday was told the parties have agreed to take part in mediation but if that failed the hearing of the case could take up to seven days.

He listed the case for hearing from August 30, 2021, the earliest date the judge had available for that block of time, and for another case management hearing on February 19.

Erin Molan and The Continuous Call Team sing In the Mighty Jungle when discussing Fijian footballer's surname

August 19, 2018

Ray Hadley: It’s his son.

Darryl Brohman : Yeah, but there’s not many… how many Nakubuwai’s do you know?

Ray Hadley: In Fiji they’re like Smiths. [Applicant and others laugh]

Ray Hadley: That’s what he just said! You’re not listening! He doesn’t listen.

Darryl Brohman: No, I know that’s what he said. That’s why I said there’s a fair chance he’d be his son because I’ve never met a Nakubuwai before.

Ray Hadley: But that’s what he said. That’s what Ray said.

Darryl Brohman: I know, that’s why I agreed with him. There’d be a fair chance that he was Pio’s son.

How many Nakubuwai’s do you know?

Erin Molan: So Ray, you gave Middo credit…

Ray Hadley: I’m going…

Darryl Brohman: Have you ever met a Nakubuwai?

Erin Molan: A-wimba-we… [singing the lion sleeps tonight song]

Bob Fulton: In the jungle… [singing the lion sleeps tonight song]

Erin Molan: The mighty jungle…. [singing the lion sleeps tonight song] [Erin Molan and others laugh]

Ray Hadley: You know what Bozo, you wouldn’t believe it. When I started saying it, I started thinking about that song. [Erin Molan and others laugh]

Bob Fulton: Did ya…

Erin Molan: Yeah! [Erin Molan and others laugh]

Ray Hadley + Erin Molan: Nakubuwai Nakubuwai Nakubuwai [chanting]

Erin Molan: A-weeeeeeee [singing] [Erin Molan laughs]
Erin Molan's defamation case to centre on whether she's 'racist or not'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...s-defamation-case-centre-shes-racist-not.html

Incorrect

Coach
From the transcripts above, I rate Erin's banter and comedic talent on par with her rugby league knowledge... FMD. Some of that shit is just tragic.

I remember once seeing her on the footy show in that brain strain (?) segment and there was a question along the lines of something like, "who did Canberra defeat in their 94 premiership win" or similar (something really f**king basic for a rugby league fan, let alone a so called massive Raiders fan) and she buzzes in and gets it wrong and I just thought... You f**king imposter. Shame on you but shame on whoever put you in this position in the first place.

Lara Pitt - there's your mentor. Someone who goes and asks her own questions, rings club officials and tries to get her own info instead of reading from an autocue...

T-Boon

Coach
Did anyone even remember the claims that she was racist prior to this defamation case? I know I had forgotten about her racist joke. She has brought this back to everyone's attention herself (which would be worth it for her as she seems obsessed with any kind of attention she can get) by bringing this action.
The problem she has is she wouldn't tolerate any jokes about women and anyone making jokes about women she would label as misogynistic and probably demand some kind of action.
This makes her seem extremely hypocritical.

Spot On

Coach
From the transcripts above, I rate Erin's banter and comedic talent on par with her rugby league knowledge... FMD. Some of that shit is just tragic.

I remember once seeing her on the footy show in that brain strain (?) segment and there was a question along the lines of something like, "who did Canberra defeat in their 94 premiership win" or similar (something really f**king basic for a rugby league fan, let alone a so called massive Raiders fan) and she buzzes in and gets it wrong and I just thought... You f**king imposter. Shame on you but shame on whoever put you in this position in the first place.

Lara Pitt - there's your mentor. Someone who goes and asks her own questions, rings club officials and tries to get her own info instead of reading from an autocue...

Is Lara Pitt's main job a reporter or a presenter like Molan and Sampson?

Incorrect

Coach
Is Lara Pitt's main job a reporter or a presenter like Molan and Sampson?
Pretty confident she has them both covered be it presenting or filling...

Meanwhile, Molan channels Kingswood Country and Love Thy Neighbour humour as a matter of course and cries foul when called out? She's everything wrong with equal opportunity and merit in this day and age... IMO of course

Spot On

Coach
Pretty confident she has them both covered be it presenting or filling...

Meanwhile, Molan channels Kingswood Country and Love Thy Neighbour humour as a matter of course and cries foul when called out? She's everything wrong with equal opportunity and merit in this day and age... IMO of course

... and pretty confident Molan and Sampson would have her covered as a reporter - in my opinion of course.

They are all talents. All cut their teeth in the same industry but at the moment... Pitt is not being paid to front coverages and spend the amount of time in all areas of media that Sampson and especially Molan does.

Pitt makes calls to fill her stories. The other two are paid to front the show.

davi

Juniors
Apparently the rumor is Erin Molan won't be coming back after this year. And if that's the case I wish her well as her reasons are very justifiable in terms of doing it for family. If that's the case I think James Bracey should be host and they need to bring some football hard heads to give it the same football edge 100% Footy has (Andrew Johns, Phil Gould, Paul Gallan etc). The Sunday Footy Show has become Thursday night Footy Show without the gags or the variety show element. I'm not ruling out Danica Mason getting the gig though as she has filled in for Molan when she has been away.

SHOOSH

The rumour is getting louder and louder that footy host Erin Molan is to quit Channel 9’s rugby league coverage at the end of the season. Molan hosts Friday night games and The Sunday Footy Show but has apparently told colleagues of her plans to step aside after the grand final. Erin wants to spend more time on weekends with her dad, Senator Jim Molan, who is fighting cancer. The news comes just a fortnight after the Sunday Telegraph revealed Peter Sterling was leaving Channel 9 after 27 years as part of a major shake-up at the network. We didn’t bother ringing Nine’s head of football Simon Fordham, who has become notorious for not returning phone calls or text messages.

Latest posts