What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack Bird

Dragons4lyf95

Juniors
I Don’t think it’s over tbh

Bird is really keen to return home.. I’m sure a deal will be made over the next couple of months

possm

Coach
Norman & Dufty may be offloaded but I highly doubt hunt will be. Hunt will be our starting no7 under griffin next year
You most probably will be right on this one. I'm sure Griffin will be confident of turning Hunt back into a star halfback. If this happens I am sure the pairing will be Hunt/Sullivan. However, if Hunt continues to perform at a sub-standard level, I'm also sure Griffin will waste no time in trying to offload him.

possm

Coach
Bird on a one year deal only with an option in favour of the Dragons.
Norman, well he and the Broncos can make their own arrangements.

Broncos are after cap relief so this swap won't help them with that. So I suggest Griffin also look for a forward to recruit - in addition to Joe O.

This is the deal that will fly.

denis preston

First Grade
Agree, to me I see him now as a Wade Graham type.
Big enough on the edge but quick with ball skills.
It’s another attacking option on the edge to compliment the spine.
Love Frizz but the past few years he was just a hard runner who always seemed to run the line back into the defence, very predictable in the end thanks to shithouse Coaching.
Wade Graham is very effective on the edge as he runs, passes, kicks, dummies or organises a special play or cut out pass.

How good was Gavin Miller in this role ? He practically invented it.

possm

Coach
Laughed at them’: Broncos ‘arrogance’ might cost them $1m for a player they don't want
NRL PREMIERSHIP

mark_st_john.jpg

48f4c6bf52a653fc0c174a413b661c62

BroncosSource: News Corp Australia
Unwanted Broncos star Jack Bird’s mooted move to St George Illawarra has hit a massive roadblock after Brisbane failed to issue the Dragons with a revised offer.

The Daily Telegraph reported the Dragons walked away from negotiations because the Broncos neglected to issue the club with a counteroffer after rejecting the deal on the table.

New Dragons coach Anthony Griffin was keen to lure Bird to the club, but after a week of silence from Red Hill chose to take the high ground and refused to engage with the Broncos.

Catch Fox League’s Grand Final Week coverage on Kayo. Stream all the latest news and insight right up until kick off plus half-time and full-time analysis from the Fox League commentary team. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

Grand Final

1. (37 points, 1st)

ANZ Stadium
    Oct 25 2020
    6:30PM

(32 points, 2nd)

Visit Match Centre

Everything you need to know about Panthers’ clash with Storm

NRL GF TEAMS: Mind games? Panthers recall star after shock axing to tackle Storm

The development is a disaster for Both Bird and the Broncos with the player keen to return home to Sydney having privately told friends a Dragons switch was imminent.

The Broncos also desperately need the cap space offloading part of Bird’s monster $975,000 contract would create to allow them to attain a more balanced roster.

It now appears that Bird will be forced to play out the remainder of his contract at the Broncos in 2021, before he can move to another club.

MORE NRL NEWS

SHOCKS AND SNUBS: Biggest Dally M hard luck stories of 2020

EVERY VOTE: Every round and every club’s Dally M top five, it’s ugly for the Broncos

UNWARRANTED: Eels skipper defends scapegoat Moses in face of ‘absurd’ attack

“The Dragons offered up a figure and Brisbane laughed at them,” an official from a rival club told The Daily Telegraph.

“But the Broncos never went back to Saints with a revised offer.

Overseas? Stream the 2020 NRL Telstra Premiership Finals Series from outside Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands on WatchNRL. Every match including the Grand Final Live & On-Demand. Grab your Finals Pass to start streaming >

“So the Dragons simply moved on. Jack is desperate to leave Brisbane but there may not be anywhere else for him to go, so he will have to stay at the Broncos. Brisbane is trying to push him out but he has a signed contract.

Get all the latest NRL news, highlights and analysis delivered straight to your inbox with Fox Sports Sportmail. Sign up now >

“There is a feeling among several clubs that Brisbane thinks ‘we’re the Broncos and if we want to move a player then we will’. It’s bullish and even arrogant.”

Bird has struggled with injuries since moving to the Broncos in 2018 having played just 17 games over three seasons and is coming off an ACL injury.

ea4200140a6e226372a73eabcce0db53

Jack Bird looks set to remain at Red Hill in 2021.Source: AAP
Clubs are wary of the 25-year-old’s injury history, but the Dragons were very interested in paying up to $675,000 of Bird’s deal for next season.

The Bulldogs are also in the hunt for Bird’s services, but will struggle to find the cap space if they get priority targets Kyle Flanagan and Josh Addo-Carr.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/3accb12e869ce2ff82f62d8d9be4fa2e

I'd say Griffin must have been very keen to sign Bird with an offer of 675k. I'd believe this is way over his market price and they are mad for laughing at the offer. I would sooner offer that money to JAC instead.

Last edited:

True_Believer

Juniors
Laughed at them’: Broncos ‘arrogance’ might cost them $1m for a player they don't want
NRL PREMIERSHIP

mark_st_john.jpg

Unwanted Broncos star Jack Bird’s mooted move to St George Illawarra has hit a massive roadblock after Brisbane failed to issue the Dragons with a revised offer.

The Daily Telegraph reported the Dragons walked away from negotiations because the Broncos neglected to issue the club with a counteroffer after rejecting the deal on the table.

New Dragons coach Anthony Griffin was keen to lure Bird to the club, but after a week of silence from Red Hill chose to take the high ground and refused to engage with the Broncos.

Catch Fox League’s Grand Final Week coverage on Kayo. Stream all the latest news and insight right up until kick off plus half-time and full-time analysis from the Fox League commentary team. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

Grand Final

1. (37 points, 1st)

ANZ Stadium
    Oct 25 2020

(32 points, 2nd)

Visit Match Centre

NRL GF TEAMS: Mind games? Panthers recall star after shock axing to tackle Storm

The development is a disaster for Both Bird and the Broncos with the player keen to return home to Sydney having privately told friends a Dragons switch was imminent.

The Broncos also desperately need the cap space offloading part of Bird’s monster $975,000 contract would create to allow them to attain a more balanced roster.

It now appears that Bird will be forced to play out the remainder of his contract at the Broncos in 2021, before he can move to another club.

MORE NRL NEWS

EVERY VOTE: Every round and every club’s Dally M top five, it’s ugly for the Broncos

“The Dragons offered up a figure and Brisbane laughed at them,” an official from a rival club told The Daily Telegraph.

Overseas? Stream the 2020 NRL Telstra Premiership Finals Series from outside Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands on WatchNRL. Every match including the Grand Final Live & On-Demand. Grab your Finals Pass to start streaming >

“So the Dragons simply moved on. Jack is desperate to leave Brisbane but there may not be anywhere else for him to go, so he will have to stay at the Broncos. Brisbane is trying to push him out but he has a signed contract.

Get all the latest NRL news, highlights and analysis delivered straight to your inbox with Fox Sports Sportmail. Sign up now >

“There is a feeling among several clubs that Brisbane thinks ‘we’re the Broncos and if we want to move a player then we will’. It’s bullish and even arrogant.”

Bird has struggled with injuries since moving to the Broncos in 2018 having played just 17 games over three seasons and is coming off an ACL injury.

Clubs are wary of the 25-year-old’s injury history, but the Dragons were very interested in paying up to $675,000 of Bird’s deal for next season.

The Bulldogs are also in the hunt for Bird’s services, but will struggle to find the cap space if they get priority targets Kyle Flanagan and Josh Addo-Carr.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/3accb12e869ce2ff82f62d8d9be4fa2e

I'd say Griffin must have been very keen to sign Bird with an offer of 675k. I'd believe this is way over his market price and they are mad for laughing at the offer. I would sooner offer that money to JAC instead.

Where are you pulling these figures from?

possm

Coach
Where are you pulling these figures from?
I have highlighted the figures in Red in the original article for you.

The Broncos also desperately need the cap space offloading part of Bird’s monster
$975,000 contract would create to allow them to attain a more balanced roster.

Clubs are wary of the 25-year-old’s injury history, but the Dragons were very interested in paying up to
$675,000 of Bird’s deal for next season.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
NRL PREMIERSHIP

mark_st_john.jpg

Grand Final

1. (37 points, 1st)

ANZ Stadium
    Oct 25 2020

(32 points, 2nd)

Visit Match Centre

MORE NRL NEWS

If you read the fine print
it’s media talk saying up to 675?
doesn’t mean our last offer was 675k
And after what the media talk is now if true
I bet our next offer is lower again

Gareth67

First Grade
For pity sake $675,000 ? The Joint Venture must have money coming out of their posterior and rocks in their bluudy heads to even think about offering such a massive amount for a player whom has a history of serious injuries .

I would be absolutely stunned if this report is indeed true .

possm

Coach
For pity sake $675,000 ? The Joint Venture must have money coming out of their posterior and rocks in their bluudy heads to even think about offering such a massive amount for a player whom has a history of serious injuries .

I would be absolutely stunned if this report is indeed true .
Yes I can imagine we have over 2.5m to spend. Just look at the players that have gone and then the players we have officially signed and you will soon come to the conclusion we are swiming in salary cap.

Add to that we still need to shed some players that are reserve grade bound and who are blocking young guns coming through.

Latest posts