What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisD

Coach
Closest comparison to Burton is Michael Morgan, I'll back him to be a big success at centre, and I think you could pay a centre who is gun in defence and attack as much as 800k. Halves and fullbacks it seems are pretty good defenders slotting in at centre, I guess because a lot of their attacking game is about trying to catch opposing centres out, they understand what's coming at them, what the opposition are trying to do.

And whilst he's centre he could be first in line to cover the halves. Maybe get some back row experience too.

Provided we keep him my team next season would be Burton at centre and May back to bench utility.

We are losing Heatherington and Tamou, Spencer will deservedly come into the side, but we are skinny on props.

Exsilium

First Grade
Closest comparison to Burton is Michael Morgan, I'll back him to be a big success at centre, and I think you could pay a centre who is gun in defence and attack as much as 800k. Halves and fullbacks it seems are pretty good defenders slotting in at centre, I guess because a lot of their attacking game is about trying to catch opposing centres out, they understand what's coming at them, what the opposition are trying to do.

And whilst he's centre he could be first in line to cover the halves. Maybe get some back row experience too.

Provided we keep him my team next season would be Burton at centre and May back to bench utility.

Good comparison with Morgan. A while back someone here said there weren’t many halves his size but comparably there were plenty within a few kilos and centimetres. Morgan was one of them.

You could have Burton at centre and carry May and/or Capewell on the bench for plenty of positional depth. Seems pretty logical.

Is Jack Wighton really killing it at 5/8? Or is he playing like a centre only getting the ball 1 pass earlier?
He’s a centre in my opinion. If you compare the way he plays compared to Keary, Luai and Walker.
He certainly doesn’t get many Try Assists or Forced drop outs.

He’s a different type of 5/8 for sure, but he’s going pretty well.

Anyway, Burton has all the attributes to be successful in the centres. It’s just a matter of the defensive reads, something we won’t know until it’s tried. But given his seemingly good footy IQ, I don’t see it being a problem.

We are going to have to pay him halves money to keep him. The Dogs are desperate to sign him.
So if he signs with them, do we try him in the centre’s for 12 months?

Too many questions for me.

If he extends and is happy to play for less, I’m stoked to keep him, as a back up half if nothing else.

If he’s asking for 5/8 money to have a crack at the centre’s. I’d be less interested.

It’ll be halves money relative to his age and experience. He’s not going to be getting offers of 600-700k just yet. I’d say it’ll be in the 400k range, and even then it’ll only be a short term deal on our end. He won’t want to lock himself up for too long.

I’d only try him in the centres if he re-signs, otherwise no point.

Ehh I feel like Burton's a natural footballer who would do a fair job at centre but I remember after Staines passed inside to Edwards to score a try Slater said Staines has got too much footy in him for the wing and I feel like same to a greater extent applies to Burto. He's got vision, you'd want him as an old school ball playing forward or a fullback. Somewhere that uses his best strengths. His biggest strength is his kicking game. Not just his accurate kicking ability and long boot but picking which kick to use, seeing when the fullback's out of position, etc. That'd be wasted at centre. Ideally you'd want him around tired forwards linking up other players and being on the opposite side of the ruck to Cleary so you'd have two long range options both willing to kick early so the fullback is hopefully caught in two minds.

If we have no one else he'd do a job just because he's a footballer who can play pretty much anywhere but I don't think for him it's a good position.

It’d be a stepping stone position for Burton, he’s too talented to be a long term centre. Next stop would be the halves, fullback or maybe a ball playing lock.

Id love to see Burton in the centres, big, fast, good footwork and he can ball play and kick like a half. I could see him being an upgrade over Naden pretty easily but given what has happened with May I think he might take Nadens spot if Naden does leave which would open up a utility spot on the bench.

We arent going to offer Burton what the Dogs are going to offer, his manager would of figured that out months ago and yet Blade has said he has been doing everything we ask and is on board with our plan for him. I think we have a good chance of keeping him. Staines just stayed for less and he is in the same position as Burton outside the top 17, there is no reason Burton wont choose to do the same.

I really don’t see May as a long term centre option, but Ivan does love his back rowers. That’s not bagging out May at all, he’s been excellent this year, but that’s mostly been from the bench. In his 5 games at centre he’s had less impact. 1 try and 2 try assists.

betcats

Referee
I really don’t see May as a long term centre option, but Ivan does love his back rowers. That’s not bagging out May at all, he’s been excellent this year, but that’s mostly been from the bench. In his 5 games at centre he’s had less impact. 1 try and 2 try assists.

Mays natural position is five eighth imo but he just is big enough to play in the back row. I would stop short of calling him a backrower.

Im not basing that off what he has done at centre so far, just off his natural talents. Give him a bit of time to work the position out and get a combo going with To'o and cleary and he could be a gun centre in the Jamie Lyon mold i think.

Mays natural position is five eighth imo but he just is big enough to play in the back row. I would stop short of calling him a backrower.

Im not basing that off what he has done at centre so far, just off his natural talents. Give him a bit of time to work the position out and get a combo going with To'o and cleary and he could be a gun centre in the Jamie Lyon mold i think.

I think he’s a lock to be more accurate, not a second rower. The ball playing lock that was popular 10-15 years ago.

Jamie Lyon was pretty quick at his peak, I don’t see that in May. I’d definitely back Burton to be better at the position because of his speed & height, and it’s not like May has established himself there.

Exsilium

First Grade

Radley is shorter and lighter than May and he plays effectively in the back row and lock positions.

Could he handle a career there? Maybe not but there are smaller forwards out there.

Original Name

Juniors
Think about the games May was playing in when he was in the forwards and getting try assists. The game we flogged Sharks, we flogged Manly, went evenly with the Tigers until we came over the top of them and dominated them in the last 20 minutes. Was it due to May's positional switch or the team he was in destroying opposition in attack when he came on from the bench?
Radley is shorter and lighter than May and he plays effectively in the back row and lock positions.

Could he handle a career there? Maybe not but there are smaller forwards out there.
Not for long. Radley was killing it but his body won't handle it long term at his weight playing in the middle.

Think about the games May was playing in when he was in the forwards and getting try assists. The game we flogged Sharks, we flogged Manly, went evenly with the Tigers until we came over the top of them and dominated them in the last 20 minutes. Was it due to May's positional switch or the team he was in destroying opposition in attack when he came on from the bench?

Positional switch? His main position all year was as a utility.

I take your point, though. Coming on when a team is being dominated certainly makes it easier for him, but I still think his best role is as a utility. Plus one of the key roles of a utility on the bench like him is to take advantage of a tired opposition. We won’t always be dominating teams like we did this year, but you can still take advantage of a tired defence.

Original Name

Juniors
Positional switch? His main position all year was as a utility.

I take your point, though. Coming on when a team is being dominated certainly makes it easier for him, but I still think his best role is as a utility. Plus one of the key roles of a utility on the bench like him is to take advantage of a tired opposition. We won’t always be dominating teams like we did this year, but you can still take advantage of a tired defence.
Positional switch from bench forward to starting centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts