What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Depends who they replace...

I'd like to put a list of guys we lost this season. And which ones played a role in our side also.
I can only think of KE and Davey ss a regular of our top 17.

Gower,Salmon,Taka,GJ,Stefano,KE,Terepo,Davey, Rhys Davies, Jai Field

Our signings so far are all probably improvements on who they have replaced:

Davis - Lussick (more experience)
salmon (assuming he probably covered centre) - Tom Op (more experience)
Gower (edge / middle ) / Evans - Issac (younger more potential). Mentioned Evans as I reckon he is probably going to be top 17 - and not hard to be better then Evans just requires effort.
Taka (probably more an edged player) - Cartwright (more potential if he plays to his ability)
Field - rumours are we looking at French (better player).

TheRam

Coach
What about English centre Oliver Gildart. He is super fast has a great passing game and offload. Also knows how to setup the players around him and his way to the try line. I don't know what his defense is like though. Anyone here know much about him defensively?

He is looking to come and try his hand in the NRL. I think the NZ Warriors and Bulldogs are looking at him. Not surprised Nathan Brown is interested in him since he coach in England previously and would be familiar with a lot of English players and have good contacts there and I think Barrett has a good eye for talent.

Considering we are short at least one quality centre now that Jennings will most probably be gone, we would be mad not to look at a quality international that is available. Price of course depending. But he does move beautifully as a centre. The issue could be that he is only 6' foot tall which is on the smaller side for an NRL centre, so you don't know what he would bring defensively.

But I am sure if we were seriously interested we would be in with a good shot over those other 2 clubs given the quality of our roster compared to theirs. Also there would be a transfer fee involved since he is still under contract to Wigan I believe, but that is not included in the NRL salary cap so it just becomes an issue of, is the club that wants to sign him prepared to pay it?

He is only 24 years old and coming into the best years of his footballing life. His record in Super League is 111 games, scoring 51 tries. Not to shabby.

If anyone is interested you can look at his highlight from last year. Very impressive attacking weapon.

jason taylor

Bench
Gildart or James Roberts are probably the best centres available unless we can snag someone up and coming like Naden. I’d probably take a bet on Gildart, though outside backs transitioning from Super League to the NRL have always been hit and miss (ala Ryan Hall).

Glenneel

Bench
Who ever signed him is living on a knifes edge. He turns to shiterer sack your self
Only on minimum so worth a shot if get his mind right and D fixed. Maybe him and Waqa can work on that together.

Foi Foi was a shit signing until he wasn't, think of that with this signing. By his statement with Fox he knows he was shit and wants to correct that, so a good start.

Last edited:

Angry_eel

First Grade
These signings remind me of the signings from the 2003-2004 when Brian Smith bought a lot of shit players just for the sake of it. Everyone one of our signing so far are uninspiring and just plain shit.

I didn’t really rate Takarangi but he sure as shit a lot better than Cartwright FMD
Didn't Smith sign a forward that hardly played any games? He was alway injured, I think.

Chipmunk

Coach
Our signings so far are all probably improvements on who they have replaced:

Davis - Lussick (more experience)
salmon (assuming he probably covered centre) - Tom Op (more experience)
Gower (edge / middle ) / Evans - Issac (younger more potential). Mentioned Evans as I reckon he is probably going to be top 17 - and not hard to be better then Evans just requires effort.
Taka (probably more an edged player) - Cartwright (more potential if he plays to his ability)
Field - rumours are we looking at French (better player).

I suspect Opacic is getting more than Salmon and there is no way French is coming for the same money Field was on.

Chipmunk

Coach
Gildart or James Roberts are probably the best centres available unless we can snag someone up and coming like Naden. I’d probably take a bet on Gildart, though outside backs transitioning from Super League to the NRL have always been hit and miss (ala Ryan Hall).

Hall did do an ACL once he signed for the Roosters and missed half of the first season. He also had Morris and Tupou at the club.

84 Baby

Referee
What about English centre Oliver Gildart. He is super fast has a great passing game and offload. Also knows how to setup the players around him and his way to the try line. I don't know what his defense is like though. Anyone here know much about him defensively?

He is looking to come and try his hand in the NRL. I think the NZ Warriors and Bulldogs are looking at him. Not surprised Nathan Brown is interested in him since he coach in England previously and would be familiar with a lot of English players and have good contacts there and I think Barrett has a good eye for talent.

Considering we are short at least one quality centre now that Jennings will most probably be gone, we would be mad not to look at a quality international that is available. Price of course depending. But he does move beautifully as a centre. The issue could be that he is only 6' foot tall which is on the smaller side for an NRL centre, so you don't know what he would bring defensively.

But I am sure if we were seriously interested we would be in with a good shot over those other 2 clubs given the quality of our roster compared to theirs. Also there would be a transfer fee involved since he is still under contract to Wigan I believe, but that is not included in the NRL salary cap so it just becomes an issue of, is the club that wants to sign him prepared to pay it?

He is only 24 years old and coming into the best years of his footballing life. His record in Super League is 111 games, scoring 51 tries. Not to shabby.

If anyone is interested you can look at his highlight from last year. Very impressive attacking weapon.

He may be worth a gamble at this moment but it all depends on Mennings resolution time.
If we don’t have an answer soon and can get someone like Gildart cheap enough, then might be worth a shot.
If Mennings gets resolved quick enough, then either he stays or we can look at a potentially even better replacement in NRL

JokerEel

Coach
I suspect Opacic is getting more than Salmon and there is no way French is coming for the same money Field was on.

French has been offered 350k a season from Wigan for 2 years.

The signings are good backups really our 13 will be the same maybe less Jennings.. Tom Op will play centre.

hindy111

Post Whore
Rennings back to the Panthers for 2021..

He was supposed to be the best Jennings brother.. It is a strange signing as the Panthers have al ot of backup backs.

I reckon they may try and move Mansour and Naden on.
Whare,Staines,Laurie where are NRL level and couldnt make the 17. So adding RJennings makes no sense.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Whare,Staines,Laurie where are NRL level and couldnt make the 17. So adding RJennings makes no sense.
Penrith's attack is built around their wingers making 35+ carries per game between them. If one of them goes down they don't want lightweights like Naden and Staines playing wing. Rennings can at least make good metres.

Gronk

Staff member
Why doesn't Chin Dad sign Packer, Mbye or Reynolds ? Or he just do that to sabotage clubs just before walks out on them ?