What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please, anyone else in 2021

soc123_au

Staff member
I reckon the NRL probably also somehow financially incentivise him to stay down there for the age-old but ultimately futile endeavour of trying to promote Rugby League in the AFL heartland, but a thought also occurred to a mate and I over beers last night so I digress; there’s also probably the added attraction of being able to walk about in public down there without anyone knowing who you are, or giving a f*ck even if they knew.

I cant imagine the NRL doing that. If they wanted to give them that kind of legup then salary cap concessions would be more logical. We know that didn't happen. Well it kind of did until the NRL found out about it. lol

Your second point could be a factor, but you cant force a move because of that. Lifestyle appeal for various reasons is always going to play a part on who someone signs with. That isn't something that can be capped.

Valheru

Coach
I could walk about in the streets of Bondi, Coogee, Randwick etc with a camera and microphone interviewing people all day; I guarantee you that I reckon at least 65% of the current day locals wouldn’t even know who the Roosters were.

You guarantee that you reckon?

Can't argue with that logic I suppose.

As for what you are trying to say, no doubt you are completely wrong.

Valheru

Coach
Nah, not really.

It only “tugs at the heartstrings” when a talented player that could herald a new premiership winning era at an underperforming club such as the Tigpies is snatched up by your c***s.

Re: Tamou, if he was a Roosters Jnr, then he obviously was unwanted if you let him go to the Cowboys otherwise you would have held on to him, yeah?

I have the utmost confidence in the Roosters to “hold on” to players that they wish to keep, so...

What if he went to Canberra as the original plan was? Would that be an issue or is it simply an issue that it was the roosters?

Who is arguing Tamou wasn't unwanted? You have missed the point.

myrrh ken

First Grade
2019 :rolling_eyes: you'd sort of expect it when you are going well

But they couldn't even beat them for crowd numbers in 2018 when they actually won it

Pantherjim.

Referee
What if he went to Canberra as the original plan was? Would that be an issue or is it simply an issue that it was the roosters?

Who is arguing Tamou wasn't unwanted? You have missed the point.

As I’ve already mentioned; I have the utmost confidence in the Roosters to hang on to players they wish to keep, and to sign up those they desire all at the same time.

But they couldn't even beat them for crowd numbers in 2018 when they actually won it

We started poorly in 2018, though and didn’t come good till the last quarter. Still top four for Sydney clubs. Behind Souths, Dogs and Saints.

greenBV4

Bench

TBF its not like souths have been unsuccessfull of late, havn't they been in a good majority of the last few prelims?

AJB1102

First Grade
Nah, not really.

It only “tugs at the heartstrings” when a talented player that could herald a new premiership winning era at an underperforming club such as the Tigpies is snatched up by your c***s.

Re: Tamou, if he was a Roosters Jnr, then he obviously was unwanted if you let him go to the Cowboys otherwise you would have held on to him, yeah?

I have the utmost confidence in the Roosters to “hold on” to players that they wish to keep, so...

You don't reckon they wanted to "hold on" to RTS? If they keep him someone else gets Teddy - f**k Teddy signed with the Raiders in 2014 so he wasn't ever exhibiting a great ambition to be a Tigpie for life.

I actually know about this one as I heard this directly, in person, from Brian Canavan, who was CEO at the time Tamou came off contract. The Roosters had a number of promising front row forward prospects in the lower grades at the time, with Tamou being one. Thing was when he came off contract all the others were still under contract and the club had no salary cap room to offer Tamou anywhere near the kind of money he deserved let alone wanted. Canvan's exact words were "we can't re-sign them all".

Perth Red

Post Whore
mad much as Inglis,smith and the boys knew nothing about two contracts :joy::joy:

Or Eels players knew about dodgy tpa’s or sharks players knew about what they were injecting themselves with. Naivety in nrl players seems a trait lol.

wazdog

Juniors
Don't forget souths. Souths haven't paid a zac to junior development in decades. In fact they used to actually syphon money directly out of junior football given Souths Juniors was the major sponser of Souths for a while back in the day.

also, do Panthers actually spend $5 mill per year on the junior comp? I read earlier this year that closing junior competitions for the year was costing penrith $25 million in revenue.

Syphon? Geeze with that type of sensationalism you must also watch A Current Affair.

Souths Juniors sponsored the Rabbitohs for one season in 1998 when we didn’t have a jersey sponsor. This was during the time when they were determining criteria for financials and apparently the NRL rejected them as a sponsor.

Souths Juniors was set up to run the junior competition for the Rabbitohs. Yes they may be two separate entities but the responsibilities of who funds what teams is clear. We are currently well placed financially which allowed the Rabbitohs to start running the NSW Cup and U20s teams again. In 2019 the Rabbitohs also paid the Juniors $300k as a contribution to fund Junior football. Yes its may be the first time in a while but its progress.

Wing didn’t have a club to play for after Souths got kicked out. Keary got kicked out by Rusty and Crichton was poached from us first.

Are you actually counting Crichton? He was recruited by Scots and moved to Sydney to play Rugby. From what I can find online he basically tripped over a footy at SG Ball training. It’s a very long bow to claim him as a player the Roosters developed.

Your only local product is Victor Radley. If you’re trying to claim Billy Smith he played his junior footy for the Kensington Saints.

Are you actually counting Crichton? He was recruited by Scots and moved to Sydney to play Rugby. From what I can find online he basically tripped over a footy at SG Ball training. It’s a very long bow to claim him as a player the Roosters developed.

Your only local product is Victor Radley. If you’re trying to claim Billy Smith he played his junior footy for the Kensington Saints.

Oh yes, because rugby league players never develop any further skills after they cease playing junior football in the local district competition do they? They are fully equipped of being thrown into first grade in the NRL as soon as they turn 18 for their junior club :rolleyes:

Valheru

Coach

But we have no fans? So we should never average higher than souths.

Souths have been pretty successful themselves in recent times.

wazdog

Juniors
Oh yes, because rugby league players never develop any further skills after they cease playing junior football in the local district competition do they? They are fully equipped of being thrown into first grade in the NRL as soon as they turn 18 for their junior club :rolleyes:

I’m not saying that at all, but Chricton did spend 4 years with us and I’m not going to even try and claim we developed him.

Latest posts