What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alintheeast

Juniors
The Roosters link is bullshit. Made up to drive up his price and panic us into offering more.
The rest of the story is true. His new manager is agitating for more. He will get it too.
They will have it sorted out soon.
Given Penriths luck and their desire to get this over quickly.
Gutherson will break an ankle at training on Monday Critter will replace him and score 3 tries including the match winner right on full time plus kick 3 extra points after Cleary gets hurt.

franklin2323

Immortal
Not sure how he's worth more than $500k now. For all his potential he has he has some flaws aswell and if he's not going to honour his word on an already generous contract it doesn't seem right to give him more.

We tried to do right by him only to be screwed. Don't want to lose him. But if we did I wouldn't blame the club on this one.

I think you take the risk with those you want to keep and pay market value.

Smug Panther

First Grade
This is true but Cleary (Rightly or Wrongly is now the NSW Vice Captain), Yeo will be captain this year other guys step up.

Luai said he doesn't want to wear another sides jersey. JFH's speech when he got his milestone jersey was all passion.
Yeah between Yeo and Fish im not worried about losing Aussie Jim as a leader.

WestyLife

First Grade
Seeing the reaction across the internet is interesting but expected. I agree The timing sucks but what do the club do?

1) before GF and they are distracting the team g or the finals.

2) wait and Mansour misses contract opportunities.

3) what a actually happened.

I don't think the club could really win here with the sentimentality around a player like him.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Seeing the reaction across the internet is interesting but expected. I agree The timing sucks but what do the club do?

I don't think the club could really win here with the sentimentality around a player like him.

They could have not told him! Let him play next year in Reggie’s and hamper his chances of getting another contract..... or tell him at the earliest possible convenience, now he has a shot at a 2 or 3 year contract somewhere....

It’s tough, but that’s footy at a development club.

franklin2323

Immortal

Yeah it is really a no win situation. It was made worse by only having a week between the season ending and the signing window opening

franklin2323

Immortal
They could have not told him! Let him play next year in Reggie’s and hamper his chances of getting another contract..... or tell him at the earliest possible convenience, now he has a shot at a 2 or 3 year contract somewhere....

Everyone bagging the timing now would be doing the same if he was sitting in NSW Cup next year... atleast he can go early if he wants

WestyLife

First Grade

Yeah it is really a no win situation. It was made worse by only having a week between the season ending and the signing window opening

Exactly. A separation is always going to be bad for one side. At the end of the day they've taken the option that gives him the best chance at a contract elsewhere. Even worse this year is that point about the season ending later. In a normal year he'd have a few weeks post GF before Nov 1st and dealing with this stuff. Maybe they could've waited a week I don't know if that would even change it considering a lot of the thought from fans and Mansour is that he should've been given the spot next year so we'd be picking the top 17 on sentimentality and as a token gesture.

Also Tigers club legend Benji Marshall found out he wasn't wanted when the media ran the story.

franklin2323

Immortal
Exactly. A separation is always going to be bad for one side. At the end of the day they've taken the option that gives him the best chance at a contract elsewhere. Even worse this year is that point about the season ending later. In a normal year he'd have a few weeks post GF before Nov 1st and dealing with this stuff. Maybe they could've waited a week I don't know if that would even change it considering a lot of the thought from fans and Mansour is that he should've been given the spot next year so we'd be picking the top 17 on sentimentality and as a token gesture.

Also Tigers club legend Benji Marshall found out he wasn't wanted when the media ran the story.

NRL.com has all the squads for next year. A few are full but most have only a couple of spots left. so the extra few weeks might of made it harder.

The timing off the GF was the issue. If it was normal timeslot you would of had a few weeks to play with before having the chat

martielang

Bench
Everyone bagging the timing now would be doing the same if he was sitting in NSW Cup next year... atleast he can go early if he wants

No one has said wait until the end of next season so your point is completely invalid. Telling a club great 2 days after a GF loss is abysmal timing & it has more to do with the club trying to finalise their salary cap as opposed to doing what's best for the player.

FWIW I hope he sticks around. He'll find his way back into first grade & deserves a proper send off. I hate the fact you can sign a player for x amount of years & pretty much show him the door when you've overcommitted your salary cap somewhere else. Before someone says 'the club said he can stay for next year' don't give me that bullshit, they told him in the hope he'll leave asap. No player wants to stay at a club where he's not wanted. I've seen first hand the negative effects something like this has on a player & their families, albeit another sport.

WestyLife

First Grade
No one has said wait until the end of next season so your point is completely invalid. Telling a club great 2 days after a GF loss is abysmal timing & it has more to do with the club trying to finalise their salary cap as opposed to doing what's best for the player.

FWIW I hope he sticks around. He'll find his way back into first grade & deserves a proper send off. I hate the fact you can sign a player for x amount of years & pretty much show him the door when you've overcommitted your salary cap somewhere else. Before someone says 'the club said he can stay for next year' don't give me that bullshit, they told him in the hope he'll leave asap. No player wants to stay at a club where he's not wanted. I've seen first hand the negative effects something like this has on a player & their families, albeit another sport.

Sure they could've waited but either way he's not going to be first choice in that position next year according to the people who decide that. Why should the coach decide the 17 on sentimentality rather than what they see as best for the team? So he can get a good bye season?

martielang

Bench
Sure they could've waited but either way he's not going to be first choice in that position next year according to the people who decide that. Why should the coach decide the 17 on sentimentality rather than what they see as best for the team? So he can get a good bye season?

Gees it's like speaking to my mrs with you blokes. Where have I said anything like that? My issue is with the timing being 2 days after a GF loss.

franklin2323

Immortal
Gees it's like speaking to my mrs with you blokes. Where have I said anything like that? My issue is with the timing being 2 days after a GF loss.

it is 2 days after the GF but 4 days before he could speak to clubs about 2022. Nov 1 deadline should of been moved back along with the GF

The Realist

Juniors

Exactly! It's the Nov 1 deadline being so close to the GF that has created this awkward situation. I get how Mansour feels and don't blame him for feeling that way - but he should come to realise that the club is doing it's best by him.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

Before I start my comment.....I love Sauce to bits, I love his passion and his personality.

Like you I agree when is a good time to tell someone father time is catching up. If Sauce didn't see it comming with Staines and Laurie developing, I'm sorry Sauce your more than a little naive.

I also think Sauce is being more than a little precious.......Yep it's sad very, very sad in fact. But mate it's life. Things don't last forever.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

Not that you'd know that by some of the sanctiminous comments by some of their posters. In fact many are comedy GOLD.

MugaB

Coach
Depends on your definition I guess. But IMO a player that has consistently been excellent for us, unanimously loved by players & fans, & stayed with us despite better offers & opportunities is a club great.
Sorry but last year he bombed nearly all is tries, or atleast they weren't meant to be, not all on him, but seriously we can't hold the door for him, every chance staines had this year, he scored off, i witnessed sauce at suncorp, magic round last year, not only was he so under confident, he was abysmal, not to 1st grade standard, this year is a 180, BUT!!! you give MWZ the same games/chances Sauce had this year with Critta, Kiks & Luai on that edge, i dare say he might have been just as good, or atleast improved, now we can't be carrying sauce again next year, not when Staines or Lauire should at least get a shot, this is a wing position, not halfback, or hooker, if sauce can help the reserve graders train and prepare for years beyond then thats his role, he might be contracted, but no one specifically tells you it has to be 1st grade that you're playing, A great example this year is Whare, i don't doubt he has been overlooked for Critta and Nado, but he captained the Nines team and is still helping the team, regardless of getting any 1st grade games, Mansour even being emotionally torn and passionate, basically disrespected the club by putting that media crap out there, i don't see Benji Marshall kicking up a stink, or James Tamou, Dean Whare, there's heaps of players that get the tap on the shoulder, but at least they don't kick stones and ruin what legacy they had with the club, or vice versa.
Josh ManSauce= Dumb.
i hope he goes to parra, join RCG as they whinge about not getting a start in 1st grade into the sunset...
Seriously this year was his swansong.. yes they didn't win, but they picked josh as the 1st choice winger, repeatedly, i personally would have had Nado and To'o on the wings, this team carried him

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts