What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin2323

Immortal
Exactly! It's the Nov 1 deadline being so close to the GF that has created this awkward situation. I get how Mansour feels and don't blame him for feeling that way - but he should come to realise that the club is doing it's best by him.

Yeah I can't blame him at all. He bleeds the club but look at Benji as an example of dragging it out turns bad

Abacus

Juniors
Depends on your definition I guess. But IMO a player that has consistently been excellent for us, unanimously loved by players & fans, & stayed with us despite better offers & opportunities is a club great.
Fair enough, my comment was a little tongue-in-cheek. He's definitely a great clubman - not sure his on-field exploits put him in the "club great" category.

Although maybe I'm being a little harsh considering he played for NSW & Aust.

Andy_P

Juniors
Depends on your definition I guess. But IMO a player that has consistently been excellent for us, unanimously loved by players & fans, & stayed with us despite better offers & opportunities is a club great.
Staying for unders is his choice and he needs to understand that, in the same way that if he'd left for a better offer, everyone would have understood. I just think he invested too much emotionally into the club, which on one hand you can understand and it's fantastic to see that passion, but he can't have been oblivious to the fact that it's all a business and has been for a while and we have to give our up and coming players pathways or they won't be staying.

soc123_au

Staff member
Thinking about it more the timing is probably for the best. Better to get shit news when you are already down than to perk up & then get dragged back down again.

I can't blame him for being being a bit emotional about it, the emotion went the other way for a long time, it's natural that getting the tap is going to swing it the other way. Hopefully things pan out for him in a way that he is happy with. I would love to have seen him as a one club player, but life goes on. He will always be one of my favourite players.

Fair enough, my comment was a little tongue-in-cheek. He's definitely a great clubman - not sure his on-field exploits put him in the "club great" category.

Although maybe I'm being a little harsh considering he played for NSW & Aust.

Also played more games than any winger in our history. Fair to call him a club great I think.

martielang

Bench
Staying for unders is his choice and he needs to understand that, in the same way that if he'd left for a better offer, everyone would have understood. I just think he invested too much emotionally into the club, which on one hand you can understand and it's fantastic to see that passion, but he can't have been oblivious to the fact that it's all a business and has been for a while and we have to give our up and coming players pathways or they won't be staying.

So players having passion or being emotionally invested in a club is a bad thing now? You want your players to be invested in the club, that's one of the exact reason why we had so much success this year. He's also got 12 months to run on his contract, given what he's done for the club & the length of time he's been here I think he's entitled to be a little upset when he's effectively shown the door mid-contract & after a strong season.

As for that rubbish @MugaB just spewed. FFS where do I start.

Andy_P

Juniors
So players having passion or being emotionally invested in a club is a bad thing now? You want your players to be invested in the club, that's one of the exact reason why we had so much success this year. He's also got 12 months to run on his contract, given what he's done for the club & the length of time he's been here I think he's entitled to be a little upset when he's effectively shown the door mid-contract & after a strong season.

I didn't say it was a bad thing, but it alone may not get the result you might want when the club is looking at a spreadsheet and balancing salary cap, who they think is on the way in, on the way out, taking punts. Passion/emotion works both ways - great for heart and what you put into what you actually do - but not really great for decision making - whether it's decision's you make on the field or off. On the field it could be that rampaging run and determination to reach the tryline that seals it, or could also be that rush of blood to the head, that kick on the first tackle - or off it, when you have to look at cold hard facts, what choices do I have, what will set me/my family up best? etc.

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
He took unders to stay. But played well below first grade quality for a couple seasons after injury aswell.

The ACL injury he did playing for Australia was the end of him being one of the best wingers in the competition. Despite a better 2020 he still had a lot of areas that simply were not close to as good as other wingers.

Its hard not to love the guy. Especially when you know how much he loves... Or loved the club. But I love the club too and I think it's clear we have guys who can do as good or better in the short term with potential to improve incredibly and be our next superstar.

The guy replacing him has scored 6 tries in 100 minutes of NRL. i think it's easy to know why he gets first crack

But if Josh wants to stay the club has said he could... And if Staines injury concerns continue he could still play most of the season anyway. The club told him he wasn't in our top 17... But that was doing him a favour in letting him decide his future now with plenty of time. He held his spot longer than almost anyone thought he would.

GongPanther

Referee
He took unders to stay. But played well below first grade quality for a couple seasons after injury aswell.

The ACL injury he did playing for Australia was the end of him being one of the best wingers in the competition. Despite a better 2020 he still had a lot of areas that simply were not close to as good as other wingers.

Its hard not to love the guy. Especially when you know how much he loves... Or loved the club. But I love the club too and I think it's clear we have guys who can do as good or better in the short term with potential to improve incredibly and be our next superstar.

The guy replacing him has scored 6 tries in 100 minutes of NRL. i think it's easy to know why he gets first crack

But if Josh wants to stay the club has said he could... And if Staines injury concerns continue he could still play most of the season anyway. The club told him he wasn't in our top 17... But that was doing him a favour in letting him decide his future now with plenty of time. He held his spot longer than almost anyone thought he would.
A door closes, another window opens.

MugaB

Coach
Start wherever you like, ive seen better players act better towards their club, members and fans, by not behaving like a precious emo, no one says he HAS to be in 1st grade, atleast he still can help the side next year.... everyone acts like we'll never find a suitable winger to replace him

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Start wherever you like, ive seen better players act better towards their club, members and fans, by not behaving like a precious emo, no one says he HAS to be in 1st grade, atleast he still can help the side next year.... everyone acts like we'll never find a suitable winger to replace him

I must admit I'm more than a bit surprised at Josh's reaction......I wasn't expecting that.

In fact I believe in time he may come to regret his outburst to the forever waiting media.

We've talked about it here for the last months. Yep Josh had a good year, possibly even a great year.

But in saying that Staines is the shiny new kid on the bloke, a signature which we as fans and perhaps even the club weren't sure he was going to re-sign.

The signature was announced on the 6/10. As a club we were getting ready to play the chooks on the 16/10.....should have he been told then ? No especially in light of his outburst.

Josh remains one of my favourite players to ever pull on a Penrith Panthers jersey. I beg of yu Josh, don't trample your legacy just because your sad at being moved on.

Blues Riff

Bench
Love the Sauce but I reckon he's being a bit of a sook. He should see out his contract, probly get about 10 games. Look after the body. Help out the youngsters. Look around for a good next move.
All he's been told is that Charlie will start on the wing in round 1. Get a grip.

hindy111

Post Whore
Gutho is a gun fullback and would of been fine filling in for Teddy had it been needed, he isn’t a Tom turbo or wighton type player that can be put in the centres and expected to make an impact in an origin game imo. Lomax had a great year for an average side I would’ve picked him given he plays right centre.

Gutherson had 32 tackles amd 2 missed.
Wighton 9 with 8 missed

Guth also had 3 line break assists and 2 try assists. He made around 200mtrs.

He had a solid game. But a poor miss on Capewell who was one of best on field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts