What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron McInnes

Who’s the better dummyhalf for ‘22 & ‘23?

• Cameron McInnes

Votes: 46 54.8%
  • Ben Hunt

Votes: 38 45.2%

• Total voters

Maddragon99

Juniors
Cam McInnes weighing up his options for ‘22 & beyond. He’s not an idiot, he knows Hunt is contracted to end ‘23 & with the talented halves coming through it’s going to be difficult for Hunt to keep the 7 jersey.

Analytics will say McInnes’s $500K could be better spent blustering our forward pack.

redv13

Bench
Cam McInnes weighing up his options for ‘22 & beyond. He’s not an idiot, he knows Hunt is contracted to end ‘23 & with the talented halves coming through it’s going to be difficult for Hunt to keep the 7 jersey.

Analytics will say McInnes’s $500K could be spent blustering our forward pack.

https://www.nospam21.com/dragons-star-weighs-up-future-updated-85513/
That will do me if we lose McInnes from the club cause Hunt can’t settle at 7 and is pushed to 9!!

Gareth67

First Grade
That will do me if we lose McInnes from the club cause Hunt can’t settle at 7 and is pushed to 9!!

Agree , we all realize that Cameron is a whole-hearted player and gives his all in each and every match , it would be a damn shame if we should lose this chap because of a failed No. 7 who can only deliver at No. 9 .

As Griffin himself has stated - we only want players who wish to play in the Big Red V . Well McInnes certainly falls into that category , regardless if his has clarity of mind to understand that he could be forced to play out of his best position so as to justify another team member whom unfortunately is inadequate in his own position .

The team needs his services as much as the Dragon emblem on the clubs jersey , keep this bloke at all costs .

Last edited:

Maddragon99

Juniors

Analytics will say McInnes’s $500K could be better spent blustering our forward pack.

If there are any moderators on here can you please change the thread name to Cam rather than Can.:thumbsup:

Maddragon99

Juniors
Agree , we all realize that Cameron is a whole-hearted player and gives his all in each and every match , it would be a damn shame if we should lose this chap because of a failed No. 7 who can only deliver at No. 9 .

As Griffin himself has stated - we only want players who wish to play in the Big Red V . Well McInnes certainly falls into that category , regardless if his has clarity of mind to understand that he could be forced to play out of his best position so as to justify another team member whom unfortunately is inadequate in his own .

The team needs his services as much as the Dragon emblem on the clubs jersey , keep this bloke at all costs .
The thing about McInnes is not only is he an elite player but he’s a wonderful clubman who always puts the team first. It’s unfortunate that others haven’t followed his example of the past few years.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Hunt has to prove himself at 7.
He is not a full-time hooker.
If he fails at 7 the next oprion for him is #14 from the bench.

As far as McInnes is concerned, i'm sure he was 'weighing up his options' whilst the McGimp circus was in town. Once he returns to training and finds out what a real coach can do, i'm confident he will be a Dragon for a few years yet.

Further to this, there are zero rumours of us looking for a hooker and as I said above Hunt is not a full-time hooker, especially at 32 or 33 yrs old.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
The thing about McInnes is not only is he an elite player but he’s a wonderful clubman who always puts the team first. It’s unfortunate that others haven’t followed his example of the past few years.
Wonderful clubman, tough, wholehearted, but not sure I’d classify him in the elite though Maddragon99...just my view..

possm

Coach

Just remember we have some young gun juniors backs on low salaries coming through so, we need to prepare to pay them properly if they scrub up. Griffin will find the balance we need in our salary cap.

Last edited:

Maddragon99

Juniors
Hunt has to prove himself at 7.
He is not a full-time hooker.
If he fails at 7 the next oprion for him is #14 from the bench.

As far as McInnes is concerned, i'm sure he was 'weighing up his options' whilst the McGimp circus was in town. Once he returns to training and finds out what a real coach can do, i'm confident he will be a Dragon for a few years yet.

Further to this, there are zero rumours of us looking for a hooker and as I said above Hunt is not a full-time hooker, especially at 32 or 33 yrs old.
I can’t imagine anyone would want to see McInnes leave, least of all McInnes himself. But Dragonslayer if you think Hunt will be playing 7 beyond next year you have rocks in your head & I don’t see a $1M man playing 14 behind a 80 hooker. I hope I’m wrong but I just don’t see McInnes in the Red V beyond next season.

Last edited:

goldiesaintz

Juniors
It would be tragic if the Dragons let the 2nd Captain walk out or depart the club. Surely the club must back the Captain, otherwise why give him the highest honour to lead....not leave!

Agree Coffs,

We must be well under our cap, hence, we do not need to sell / release Cam.
The Rorters can have a team of stars and still be under the cap .......... and still have coin to spend on any player. If we use the Rorters Cap-O-Meter for player quality to us, we've only spent a tenth of our cap.

goldiesaintz

Juniors
Wonderful clubman, tough, wholehearted, but not sure I’d classify him in the elite though Maddragon99...just my view..

Agree Inisai,

As you say, Cam is gusty, tough, wholehearted, plays for ever second of the game and gives 110% every week.

He does lacks the spark of being a game breaker which cancels him from being elite but l would go as far as saying that no other player in the nrl is as committed as Cam, therefore, in his own way, he can be considered a classic player.

Drakon

Juniors
I can’t imagine anyone would want to see McInnes leave, least of all McInnes himself. But Dragonslayer if you think Hunt will be playing 7 beyond next year you have rocks in your head & I don’t see a $1M man playing 14 behind a 80 hooker. I hope I’m wrong but I just don’t see McInnes in the Red V beyond next season.
But can our 1M 80 7 be a 80 9 or better as a 40 14? Or maybe a 40 7/40 9?

possm

Coach
Agree Inisai,

As you say, Cam is gusty, tough, wholehearted, plays for ever second of the game and gives 110% every week.

He does lacks the spark of being a game breaker which cancels him from being elite but l would go as far as saying that no other player in the nrl is as committed as Cam, therefore, in his own way, he can be considered a classic player.
Well, I'd rather keep McInnes and dump Hunt but noone wants Hunt at that price so we are stuck with him for the next 3 years thanks to another stupid signing by Millward and Mary. Why would we give him an additional 3 year option IN HIS FAVOUR? It should have always been a 1 year option in the Clubs favour.

So that is all spent milk. We have two halves coming through that should do the job fine and we also have Bird to back them up if necessary. Norman's last season and then Hunt for another 3 years before we can balance our salary cap.

Cam McInnes is on about 450k right now and I am sure he will be offered in excess of 600k by other clubs. We can afford this but the s**t will hit the fan when our young guns are up for an extension and we don't have the cap to support them. It will be then that the 1.6m for Hunt/McInnes might be painful.

I feel confident that Griffin will get our prop rotation working hard both in defence and attack so, maybe our halves will be able to perform to their ability in 2021. If Sims and Ford can also lift their game we are more than halfway there.

Drakon

Juniors
Well, I'd rather keep McInnes and dump Hunt but noone wants Hunt at that price so we are stuck with him for the next 3 years thanks to another stupid signing by Millward and Mary. Why would we give him an additional 3 year option IN HIS FAVOUR? It should have always been a 1 year option in the Clubs favour.

So that is all spent milk. We have two halves coming through that should do the job fine and we also have Bird to back them up if necessary. Norman's last season and then Hunt for another 3 years before we can balance our salary cap.

Cam McInnes is on about 450k right now and I am sure he will be offered in excess of 600k by other clubs. We can afford this but the s**t will hit the fan when our young guns are up for an extension and we don't have the cap to support them. It will be then that the 1.6m for Hunt/McInnes might be painful.

I feel confident that Griffin will get our prop rotation working hard both in defence and attack so, maybe our halves will be able to perform to their ability in 2021. If Sims and Ford can also lift their game we are more than halfway there.
It was a one year option in his favour.

TruSaint

Referee

I dont think @Dragonslayer has rocks in his head at all.

The coach should not be selecting players based on $$$ contracts.

That's where we have fooked up over the years with Mary picking on "reputation" and NOT form.

A player should be selected for the overall good of the team, and not to claim that player "X" is costing us this amount, as selecting him out of form could cost you more in long run, both on terms of on field success and losing other players as a result.

Better players than Ben Hunt have been dropped or benched.

Its up to him to secure his position and thus far Griffin has made it clear he will start at 7.

hewi

Bench
Is Cam on $650,000 a year a better option than Billy Britain on say $200,000? Secondly I think that Hunt under a new and proper coach will own the number 7. Just remember how many good players had their careers wrecked by the :peanuts:.