What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will V'landys?

Rarely do confidentiality agreements have an expiry date, as again, all that would do is delay the pain, and potentially even exasperate the issue as in this instance Fox would be seen to have been withholding the info purely to get a leg up and mislead AFL in the current negotiations. That wouldn’t bode well for future relations....
Now I’m not saying PVL definitely got the better of the deal, or that Fox definitely were the ones who pushed the confidentiality agreement. What I am prepared to say is that PVL has done a fantastic job for the NRL over the last 9 months given the circumstances, and with that in mind, surely he deserves the benefit of doubt to be in his favour on our start position on situations like this (where none of us actually know the truth).
Essentially, unless there is firm evidence to the contrary, we should believe what he says and accept he got the best deal he felt he could get in the circumstances. I don’t see any evidence that suggests otherwise.
Good post but as many have found out trying to debate the AFL man ...there is no rational discussion.
It's all PVL bad ..no matter what he achieved this year .
AFL good

Chimp

Juniors
Good post but as many have found out trying to debate the AFL man ...there is no rational discussion.
It's all PVL bad ..no matter what he achieved this year .
AFL good
Yeah, I get that.... But I don’t think I’ve ever been in discussion with Perth before, and I’m not the sort to troll, just interested in discussion and understanding other people’s views - so I’ll give the benefit of the doubt that Perth is up for genuine balanced discussion until proven otherwise.

Perth Red

Post Whore
He did a good job getting the game back up and running ASAP and managing to get the best out of a bad situation in regards to keeping the comp on as best as possible. The rest: pssing off growth states, constant significant changes to game rules, bowing to ch9 when they publicly slammed the game, the rush to a significant extension with fox, cutting out Telstra, ignoring the work done in the commissioned expansion review to self announce brisbane2, wanting to be seen as the voice of the game which should be the ceos role etc not so good IMO.

We will find out in annual report in feb/mar the tv deal for this year at least, then we’ll see if he is the messiah some think or just another inept leader holding the game back.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Is it possible that Fox has hijacked the game and shut out all other broadcasters to drive their Future online streaming afterall they used the game in the past to drive their pay tv start up in the 90s.

only difference this time they have a compliant rugby league administration.

colly

Juniors
It reeks of AFL desperation to one up the NRL only days ahead of Xmas when no one gives a shit about this stuff. No attributed quotes on it being a better deal than NRLs. Suspect rubbish.
All we got is from Mclachlen as to veracity of his figures in a news conference when he has been caught exaggerating before. I wont be surprised when Seven Media post 3rd year running financial loss and the banks have given then about Mid 2022 to find half a billion dollars to re payed to the banks , I foresee Channel 7 going into receivership in 2022 like TV network in the 90's which went bankrupt and anther Tv station pick up the contract for cheap. So the money for 2023 and 2024 wont be their for AFL.

Quote from SMH- regarding loan of $450m and the ability to take the loan overall to $ 750million smackroos. Good luck in paying that $750m in mid 2022- just before the contract extension to AFL starts. .

The broadcasting and publishing company told the ASX on Thursday it had extended the period of time required to repay $450 million of its $750 million debt facility until the second half of the 2022 financial year and that it had substituted banking convenants - conditions set out for a loan - until 2021. Seven said it will also be able to use $250 million of the facility immediately, which will help it adjust to weak advertising market conditions. The company reported net debt of $541.5 million at its half-year results.

However, the renegotiated deal has come at a price. Under the revised terms, Seven will have to bear increased costs and pay upfront fees. The debt has been renegotiated under a 'general security deed', which typically allows a lender to have access to assets in exchange for the loan. A Seven spokesman confirmed Mr Stokes had not secured the debt, but did not provide further detail on who had provided a guarantee.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/com...-reprieve-but-at-a-price-20200730-p55gy7.html
As the AFL would be Sevens most costly TV contract you can see where the chop will come from.
Don't think Kerry Stokes will save the day, cause if you think that, you haven't watch Kerry operate.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is it possible that Fox has hijacked the game and shut out all other broadcasters to drive their Future online streaming afterall they used the game in the past to drive their pay tv start up in the 90s.

only difference this time they have a compliant rugby league administration.

of course they have. They know kayo is their best hope if surviving. I’ll eat my hat if they don’t have exclusive stealing rights fir all 8 games tied up in the extension. I have little doubt they are the ones behind the Telstra snub.

I think News Ltd still control the game, one way or the other. They exited it in name only but still pull the strings. V'landys has done a good job dealing with these bastards. The fact he has them by the balls until 2027 means it'll be hard for Broncos, Rupes and Lachs to block Brisbane 2.

of course they have. They know kayo is their best hope if surviving. I’ll eat my hat if they don’t have exclusive stealing rights fir all 8 games tied up in the extension. I have little doubt they are the ones behind the Telstra snub.
They might have the right to stream all 8 games on Kayo until 2027, but it won't prevent Ch9, or any other FTA network, from streaming the games they have access to from 2023 onwards on a catch-up service like 9Now.

The fact that Foxtel can no longer on sell the streaming rights to their mates at Telstra means people who have a contract with that telco can no longer get all 8 games for free on their phone. They'll need to sign up to Kayo/Foxtel or watch whichever games are available on Ch9/9Now. That's a win for the FTA partner as it'll make their service the only alternative to Telstra customers who don't want Kayo/Foxtel.

NRL blocks Telstra from streaming matches in rights stand-off
NRL PREMIERSHIP
June 3, 2020 7:02am
Source: FOX SPORTS
Source: AAP
As the NRL continues to work towards a broadcast extension with Channel Nine, it’s doing everything it can to protect streaming rights to ensure the deal doesn’t drop in value.
With a five-year extension with Nine in mind, the NRL is intending on locking Telstra out from streaming rugby league from 2023, The Sydney Morning Herald reports.

Sources told the Herald that removing Telstra’s ability to stream games will increase the value of future free-to-air broadcast deals.

Telstra is reportedly unsettled by the decision but the NRL is sticking by it.

Foxtel currently sells streaming rights to Telstra but under the blockbuster rights deal struck last week it’s prohibited from onselling in the 2023-2027 cycle.

The move is significant as Telstra customers can currently access games for free on their phones, meaning Fox and Nine would solely share those rights in a restructured deal.

If Nine were to agree to an extension until 2027, all games would be available through the television channel and 9Now streaming app.

Telstra released a statement on Monday confirming it would not hold the mobile digital rights beyond 2022.

“We are... disappointed to learn the NRL through their agreement with Foxtel has decided not to make those digital rights on mobile available beyond 2022,” it said.

“We have not been a party to those discussions and will obviously need to engage with the NRL to understand what the implications are for our partnership in the long term.”

Telstra secured the digital rights and naming rights in 2015. The NRL is reportedly keen on extending the naming rights deal.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/244d61f13482e101ce46eb30142733e7

LeagueXIII

First Grade
V'Landys is their man....when we had smith greenberg and grant we were independent that's why they drove them out of the game

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I think News Ltd still control the game, one way or the other. They exited it in name only but still pull the strings.

correct...if you listen to the rl digest podcast on the SL war the original plan for news ltd was for them to own the game but have the arl administer it....it has only taken about 25 yrs for this to finally happen.

correct...if you listen to the rl digest podcast on the SL war the original plan for news ltd was for them to own the game but have the arl administer it....it has only taken about 25 yrs for this to finally happen.
Hopefully things change when Rupes does the world a favour and kicks the bucket. His sons don't have his brains or evil.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They might have the right to stream all 8 games on Kayo until 2027, but it won't prevent Ch9, or any other FTA network, from streaming the games they have access to from 2023 onwards on a catch-up service like 9Now.

Fta already have the right to stream their own games and do.

I The fact he has them by the balls until 2027 means it'll be hard for Broncos, Rupes and Lachs to block Brisbane 2.

has he, or has he sold us down the river locking us into a low ball longest ever tv deal at a time streaming is changing the face of sports sales?

Perth Red

Post Whore
No wonder News Ltd suggest of statues being built of him and call him saint pete.

he is tightly in bed with them through his other job, we shouldn’t be surprised he quickly got a long term deal sign3d off with them.
If it is in the games best interest time will tell.
Fox (&Telstra) paid $235mill a year last deal. Plus a further $60mill to fta which will be important details in the deal for fta value post 2022. If vlandys has got the game around that for 7 years then good news for the game, if not we have been screwed.

colly

Juniors
No wonder News Ltd suggest of statues being built of him and call him saint pete.
Show us the story /link OF where they are building these Vlandy stautes, OTHERWISE it's just your opinion which you relentless shout but provide scant evidence. So where are those statues being built?

The war is over, mature men move on, for example Australians buy Japs cars, they don't harp on about WW2, suggest you do the same.

Steel Saints

Juniors
I think what this pandemic has taught us is for the NRL to stop relying on broadcast revenue. Then Nine CEO Hugh Marks demonstrated his power over the NRL with those controversial public statements. It made the NRL look small.

In future what the NRL should do is whenever it saves a good amount of revenue, invest it in an asset. An asset that could generate new revenue streams to the game, and hence, less reliance on broadcast $$$.

Therefore what happens is the broadcasters have less power in the game, which could mean a return to daytime grand finals. And no club football before origin games.

Fta already have the right to stream their own games and do.

has he, or has he sold us down the river locking us into a low ball longest ever tv deal at a time streaming is changing the face of sports sales?
9Now is competing with Telstra customers for viewership. A person with a Telstra subscription would prefer to watch any game ad free on their mobile while riding the bus than go to the 9News app that's full of ads. From 2023 this won't be a a problem for the FTA broadcaster. They'll either have to subscribe to Kayo to get all 8 games or rely on the FTA streaming service. It's a win for Kayo and the FTA broadcaster.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Show us the story /link OF where they are building these Vlandy stautes, OTHERWISE it's just your opinion which you relentless shout but provide scant evidence. So where are those statues being built?

The war is over, mature men move on, for example Australians buy Japs cars, they don't harp on about WW2, suggest you do the same.

Thanks for the advice...won't be taking it though so get use to it or ignore it.

Obviously they arent going to build a statue of him it was an article in the DT last year when everyone was fawning over him.

As i said it was suggested in an article on 22 may by phil rothfield and an article on 30 may by paul kent in the Daily Telegraph.

Last edited:

LeagueXIII

First Grade

Was that how it was in 1965? 20 Years after WW2 or are you talking about today, 75 Years after the war?

Hardly the same.....

Latest posts