What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
You can hope a half comes good only if u see him do the things a half is expected to do, now and again, even once ...( then if he stops doing them then u know, ok somethings up eg mental health, Big bad Benji or it’s a full moon tonight.) ....For example 1. Seeing a play where creating an extra man is on , doing that and then putting the player through the gap. 2. Another one is being able to confuse the opposition by having the option of passing long or short - These are minimum requirements for an effective half..

That’s the mental calculation - to see it and then execute..

If u see it done at least once Then u can rationally say, yes he has done it before. Its just because Benjis been there to overpower his poor little Brooksy brain that he hasn’t, or whatever ..I didn’t see Brooks perform iether of the above mentioned plays even once last year. even when Benji wasn’t playing..In fact I can’t remember seeing Brooks pulling either of these moves off.
If there was an option to pass long or short Brooks could only ever pass short (who else has that limitation)
Also the ability to decide if a gap is there to be ran through appears to have forsaken him..I mean hell surely there’s a gap or not a gap right? ..But that doesn’t seem to matter with Brooks he will try to run through a gap that isn’t there anyway even with passing options..

Seriously as a 7 you either have it or you don’t..

I watched that game 7 years ago for the first time a couple of months ago.With all the hype I expected more..
Ive stopped hoping with Brooks. He needed to be gone a long time ago. Sounds like everyone is still believing from that game
Pearce is 20 million times better than Brooks . Also Brooks defence only! isnt going to get us in the top 8 in fact it’ll keep us out and prob has.

A coach with courage would have something else sorted by now..

This is just a bunch of rambling with no real point being made...are you suggesting plugging Benji on for another year would have helped us?

How can Brooks win Dally M half of the year if he “hasn’t got it”

WA Tiger

Bench
This is just a bunch of rambling with no real point being made...are you suggesting plugging Benji on for another year would have helped us?

1 my post has nothing to do with Benji
2 beats me ...I think Brooks might have had some kind of kicking game for a little while mixed with some running and defence...I couldn’t say he was able to create and use the extra man or short /long no look pass then. ...And most of his kicks have always been nervous kicks esp with repeat set kicks under pressure. The most important kick imo....
That drop the ball onto his running foot, so kick and run at the same time, 5m out, 10 out of 10 times per year the ball at best dribbles forward if at all - woops, fk,sorry.
Everyone knows he shouldn’t have won that Daley m.. It was a consolation prize for him missing out on origin..coz he wasn’t the real deal for origin.

Last edited:

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
1 my post has nothing to do with Benji
2 beats me ...I think Brooks might have had some kind of kicking game for a little while mixed with some running and defence...I couldn’t say he was able to create and use the extra man or short /long no look pass then. Everyone knows he shouldn’t have won that. It was a consolation prize for missing out on origin..

2020: Nathan Cleary

2019: Mitchell Moses

2018: Luke Brooks

2017: Micheal Morgan

2016: Cooper Cronk

2015: Jonathan Thurston

2014: Daly Cherry Evans

Look at the list of names that have won the award before and after him...haha just admit he brushed you at a fans day pal. The kid can obviously play. They don’t hand that award to chumps (Ok Moses maybe)

Inconsistency is what pisses people off. But he can play and you’re kidding yourself if you don’t think he can

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
Rising Broncos superstar to test the market - but it’ll cost NRL rivals $700k to poach him

Young gun Brisbane Broncos centre Kotoni Staggs will test his value on the NRL’s open market next week with rival clubs tipped to need in excess of $700,000 a season to convince him to leave Red Hill.

Staggs, 22, is regarded among the most damaging young centres in the NRL and was consistently one of the Broncos’ best players despite a lean 2020 for the club.

The Broncos centre is expected to be ruled out until at least Round 10 this year after undergoing off-season surgery on an ACL injury sustained in Round 20 last year.

believe it or not souffs have supposedly made an offer and they are the club in the hot seat to get him
Speedy, without thinking too hard about it, I just thought ah the Morris boys will finish this year so the Chooks will need a centre.

Now thinking about it, there's Bennett, but how long is he around for?
Or there's uncle Nick, coach Robbos plus there's the SOO coach if Freddy is still in charge.

stryker

First Grade

It was and remains a mystery.
2018 was the year:
- Cronk changed clubs and left the only culture he ever knew to move to Roosters and lead them to a premiership.
- Cherry Evans played Origin and Test matches despite his club side almost coming last and kicked arse.
- Cleary won an Origin series.
- Reynolds took Souths to the Prelim.

2018 was also the year Luke Brooks couldn’t get a f**ken grubber to stop before the deadball.
It was THE most undeserved award I’ve ever seen and can only be attributed to him being the better performing player in a squad of Gumby merkins. He was shit, just not as shit as normal.

stryker

First Grade
This gets thrown around a lot, probably to belittle the kid. He has definitely had more than a few games that are superior to his debut but people like to use that argument when bashing brooks career at the tigers.

Maybe if players pushed up and supported him in attack instead of just standing there waiting for the next play he wouldn't look like a headless chook.

He is literally the best defensive half in the comp. Compared to NSW half N Cleary he has the same tackle efficiency and missed tackles in a much inferior side.

Am reasonably confident he will have a belter of a season, he has all the right tools, links with Liddle well, no Benji overcalling him, genuine pace in the backline now with Jet (and Laurie if we get him) and probably the best forward pack we have had in years

if you watch last year you see him throw his hands up on more than a few occasions when the ball goes Benjis side out of frustration

I'd say goal kicking has played a part just as much with us not making the 8. How many close games have we lost over the years just because of it?

Everything you said is bullshit excuses. The bloke has had years and years and cost us millions and millions and produced a f**ken donut.
He doesn’t have vision. He gets confused and can’t think on his feet. He never looks up and plays what is in front of him. He kicks when he should pass. He passes when he should run. He runs when the better play is feeding outside men. He puts up shit midfield bombs when repeat sets are the correct goal. HE IS NOT A HALFBACK.

I agree his defence has improved and the fact he is quick off the mark, can pass both ways and can understand game plans means he should be tried at no.9. In my opinion it is where he may fit in best.

Fordy20

Juniors
2018 was also the year Luke Brooks couldn’t get a f**ken grubber to stop before the deadball.

One minute of highlights from five minutes of football in a single match in 2018 and Brooks kicks two grubbers that don't go dead.

You must have been thinking of another year or another player.

simmo05

Bench
Everything you said is bullshit excuses. The bloke has had years and years and cost us millions and millions and produced a f**ken donut.
He doesn’t have vision. He gets confused and can’t think on his feet. He never looks up and plays what is in front of him. He kicks when he should pass. He passes when he should run. He runs when the better play is feeding outside men. He puts up shit midfield bombs when repeat sets are the correct goal. HE IS NOT A HALFBACK.

I agree his defence has improved and the fact he is quick off the mark, can pass both ways and can understand game plans means he should be tried at no.9. In my opinion it is where he may fit in best.
The mid field bombs will be the death of me

stryker

First Grade

One minute of highlights from five minutes of football in a single match in 2018 and Brooks kicks two grubbers that don't go dead.

You must have been thinking of another year or another player.
Lol don’t take that literally.
Point being he was no where near the best halfback that year. He may have cracked top 6 if he was lucky.
He has been playing since 2014. Never played finals. This is his 8th year coming up. Lucky boy.

Fordy20

Juniors
He has been playing since 2014. Never played finals. This is his 8th year coming up. Lucky boy.

Poor bugger. I feel sorry for him. He would have easily played finals football if he played for literally any other club instead of staying loyal to this clusterf**k of a club.

The mid field bombs will be the death of me

There will be plenty of those to look forward to if we have yet another year where our forwards are in the bottom four for average metres per run.

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors

lol mate the first year we actually had decent forwards (2014) we were coming 6th with a few rounds to go then Farahgate comes out and we blow it. And yes Brooks was the halfback. Funny isn’t it?

Fast forward to now and we have had the likes of Jack Buchanan, Aaron Woods, Kyle Lovett and many more average forwards that are probably playing bench in a bush footy team.

Of course you ignore when he won players player at the club back to back because it just doesn’t suit your argument. But but the field was weak. Lol

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
Wests Tigers Stat to Fix: Metres per carry
Author
Troy Whittaker
NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 20 Jan 2021, 08:00 AM

Wests Tigers battled to dent defences last year and averaged the third-fewest metres per carry (8.8m) as they fell short of breaking their famous finals drought.

A team’s average gain per run proved to be a decent gauge of their overall success in 2020. Parramatta, who finished third, topped this category in the regular season with 9.5m a carry, followed by eventual premiers Melbourne (9.4m) and South Sydney (9.4).

Only 15th-placed Canterbury (8.5m) and 13th-placed Manly (8.6m) were ranked lower than the Tigers, who came 10th on the ladder.

if you didn’t think our forwards are half the issue, I can’t help you anymore

Enlighten me how getting annually spanked by the rorters, raiders etc is Brooks’s fault.

Last edited: