What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

I'm going to have a crack @ answering my own question here, I think the last centre that came through our system was Ryan Morgan who debut in 2011, meaning it's more than 10 years since the club produced a locally grown, or young imported centre who came through to play FG. Pau Pau would know for sure..
View attachment 45974
And what a magnificent fluid transfer solution he had!

chiefy1

Juniors
It’s possibly worth repeating, the junior pathways were in a mess after several coaches lacked real interest, When BA returned he started to revamp the structure in 2015, those 14/15 year old players that were basically the start of the process are the ones now coming into grade.

We finished 3rd, one win behind the minor premiers in 2014's holden cup. That's not what I call bad.

84 Baby

Referee
Inspired me to look through our 1st grade list. Holy shit there’s some names on there.
What the f**k happened to Joseph Ualesi?
And do people remember Nathan Smith, Manase Manuokafoa & Pele Peletelese?

Incorrect

Coach
Inspired me to look through our 1st grade list. Holy shit there’s some names on there.
Joseph Ualesi seemed to just fizzle out at Wenty. Big unit, he used to live in my neighbourhood, I'd see him walking his dog. Would always say gday as he walked past, seemed like a gentle giant...

Noise

Coach
I remember people on here talking up those exact juniors and a host of others that did sfa.

lingard

Coach
I'm a bit off him to be honest. Coming back from an ACL, not the greatest defensive centre, wants way too much. It would be stupid to waste that much money on a centre. I'd pass and concentrate on what we have or mid tier centre that we could use until a capable junior like Penisini or Russell is ready.

I tend to agree. But I'm hoping that Sivo, Ferguson and Waqa all improve fairly dramatically, so that Opacic or whoever, can have a decent backline to come into. Is that likely? I hope so.

hindy111

Post Whore
It’s possibly worth repeating, the junior pathways were in a mess after several coaches lacked real interest, When BA returned he started to revamp the structure in 2015, those 14/15 year old players that were basically the start of the process are the ones now coming into grade.

Can Haze play centre?
Our juniors haven't been great but we unearthed a 5/8, hooker and what looks like a few props. If this Russel guys any good we may of unearthed a fullback also. 3 spine players. I would take that over 10 centres or wingers.

hindy111

Post Whore
why I don't care about producing wingers or centres as much is you can pick gems up from time to time. And its also plug and play.
You produce spine players and keep them playing together and they build combinations. Far more important. Plus to try and get a spine player away from their current club your paying overs. Generaly the other positions you will pay a lot closer to what they are worth. Certainly not 200k overs like you will with a half. Plus there is also less chance they flop. What you see is what you get.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Cheers DB.
Any thoughts on the departures of Field and Sharp, the impact of their loss and who's replacing them?
Thanks.

Noise

Coach
Can Haze play centre?
Our juniors haven't been great but we unearthed a 5/8, hooker and what looks like a few props. If this Russel guys any good we may of unearthed a fullback also. 3 spine players. I would take that over 10 centres or wingers.
Sean Russell hasn't done anything. You can't claim 3 spine players when he hasn't even played a game of first grade.

84 Baby

Referee
why I don't care about producing wingers or centres as much is you can pick gems up from time to time. And its also plug and play.
You produce spine players and keep them playing together and they build combinations. Far more important. Plus to try and get a spine player away from their current club your paying overs. Generaly the other positions you will pay a lot closer to what they are worth. Certainly not 200k overs like you will with a half. Plus there is also less chance they flop. What you see is what you get.
Yeah I certainly think the cost/benefit of developing juniors opposed to buying stars in the current game is strongest in the outside backs. The overall difference between the best winger/centre and the minimum required NRL standard is probably the closest of all positions but then the price tags can be ridiculously disproportionate.
I used to say that about props too but I reckon they’ve surpassed backrowers