What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tell me about the Jets?

SBD82

Coach
Hope you Sharkies don’t mind me picking your brains, just looking for info on the Jets.

I live a short(ish) walk from Henson Park, so I’m tempted to spend more time there watching live footy than at NRL grounds.

My vague understanding is that they’re your reserve grade team. Are they your only one? Is it an exclusive arrangement? Or just a team that your club uses to get game time into the 30 man squad?

And what about game days? How’s the feel in the crowd? Plenty of games or just the CC game as a stand alone? Good place to drink tinnies on the hill? Decent food options? Am I gonna be overwhelmed with Sharks promos?

Thanks in advance for any info you’ve got to share.

Tiger Shark

Bench
Game days at Henson are good fun. Always on a Saturday afternoon. Defn worth checking out.

Typically the only game but Glebe might play before hand perhaps.

ghoti

Bench
I think whatever your expectations are, you're gonna be blown away and stoked by being close to Henson Park... best day out at the footy in the state by a long way. You won't see any Sharks branding, it's very much a Newtown Jets game featuring Sharks who didn't make the first 18.

If you're planning to go to a few I recommend the membership too, the Jets people are incredibly friendly and it's a proper community event. Imo all NSW clubs should be rallying around what the Jets are doing and trying to have their reserve grade sides reflecting that kinda day out.

Cannot speak highly enough of the Jets (if you can't tell!) When I first moved to Marrickville around 2010 I was unpacking my shit from my dad's van and he lost his mind at all these people in Newtown jumpers walking past us...followed them down and had a blast and been going on the reg ever since.

NSW Cup is worth following just generally...Wests Magpies are playing out if Lidcombe Oval this year and Bears at North Sydney Oval, both great game day experiences. Gonna be spending most of my year travelling to State Cup games this season...can't afford the NRL tickets and beer prices anymore so all in on on NSW Cup!

SBD82

Coach
I think whatever your expectations are, you're gonna be blown away and stoked by being close to Henson Park... best day out at the footy in the state by a long way. You won't see any Sharks branding, it's very much a Newtown Jets game featuring Sharks who didn't make the first 18.

If you're planning to go to a few I recommend the membership too, the Jets people are incredibly friendly and it's a proper community event. Imo all NSW clubs should be rallying around what the Jets are doing and trying to have their reserve grade sides reflecting that kinda day out.

Cannot speak highly enough of the Jets (if you can't tell!) When I first moved to Marrickville around 2010 I was unpacking my shit from my dad's van and he lost his mind at all these people in Newtown jumpers walking past us...followed them down and had a blast and been going on the reg ever since.

NSW Cup is worth following just generally...Wests Magpies are playing out if Lidcombe Oval this year and Bears at North Sydney Oval, both great game day experiences. Gonna be spending most of my year travelling to State Cup games this season...can't afford the NRL tickets and beer prices anymore so all in on on NSW Cup!
That all sounds incredible. And exactly what I’m hoping for. Thanks heaps mate. Keen as.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Definitely a good old school place to watch the Jets at Henson Park.... far less likely to give you heartache than the Dragons too!

Don Tweddle

Juniors
And what about game days? How’s the feel in the crowd? Plenty of games or just the CC game as a stand alone? Good place to drink tinnies on the hill? Decent food options? Am I gonna be overwhelmed with Sharks promos?

Unmatched atmosphere for second tier rugby league. Great feel in the crowd, very laidback compared to NRL. Can sit on the hill with a few mates and a blanket. Bring your kids and/or your dog. They can run around on the field at half-time and will love it.

There's normally some earlier game - from memory I've seen Sharks juniors, second-tier internationals, disability leagues, university competitions.

Food options are pretty old school - sausage rolls, pies, ice cream van plus usually a local school doing a cake stand. There's Young Henrys beer and a couple of others - VB maybe? with short cues if you get in before the game. There is a food and beer festival once a year that's a much bigger event and a different story.

There's actually very little Sharks promotion going on. You could probably attend a game and not even realise there's a connection between the clubs.

shadowboxer

First Grade
Ghoti and tweedle covered it completely - all I can say is there isn’t a better experience than heading to Henson on a Saturday afternoon.
Since we won’t the comp in 2016, I’d say my interest in the Jets has magnified to the degree I’ll probally go to as many sharks games of not more the Jets.
Great diverse crowd, decent footy, beer sold in cans, merchandise a plenty and more green space to spread out and enjoy the atmosphere.
The beer festival (which may not happen again post Covid) was Henson at its best and possibly worst - can’t remember the crowd numbers, but the crowd was bigger than the nrl game at brookvale with the flog eagles.
I will say this much, the 2019 season was a cracker l, stumbled into the 8, but won the GF in spectacular fashion at parramatta vs Wentworthville.
As a proud Newtown supporter, I cried that day...literally, I got misty in 2016... 2019 was like Niagra falls... dunno why, just something about the Jets - battling all the way.
Enjoy

Ads

First Grade
What happens if the nrl follow through on the chat of all 3 grades on game day?

I lived in Marrickville and St. Peter's at the turn of the century and beyond until a few years ago. Those first few years they were back at Henson in Reserves was very special.
My mates would bring their guitars on the hill and every time the Jets scored we would play and sing "JETSSSSS WHOHHOHO, JETSSS" sung to the Wings track, Jet. We even had our own made up verses to sing. It truly was special.

Generalzod

Immortal
I lived in Marrickville and St. Peter's at the turn of the century and beyond until a few years ago. Those first few years they were back at Henson in Reserves was very special.
My mates would bring their guitars on the hill and every time the Jets scored we would play and sing "JETSSSSS WHOHHOHO, JETSSS" sung to the Wings track, Jet. We even had our own made up verses to sing. It truly was special.
Yeah my out laws just live 2 minutes away from Henson, I love the place grea t place to watch footy, but seriously hasn’t Marrickbille and St Peter’s changed in the last couple of years the construction is all over the place.

ghoti

Bench
What happens if the nrl follow through on the chat of all 3 grades on game day?

the Jets are of the mind that it'll never happen because of all the costs involved that the NRL clubs would have to take back up in a time they've just cut spending. won't take a whole lot of cost-benefit analysis for the NRL to realise it's a dumb idea either, but PVL's a loose cannon who really thinks it's a good idea.

i think the NSW Cup sides need to start gathering all their stats about hwo well supported the state league is too to demonstrate its importance to community etc and appeal to the commission's nostalgia button.. keeping alive the Jets, Magpies, Bears (and I reckon St George should give the Steelers brand back to reggies) keeps older supporters in the game and gives kids a sense of history which builds life long supporters of the sport.