What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Now you get it. There has been something wrong since Super League and we have never recovered since. It is only getting worse, while AFL is going from strength to strength.

Will V'Landys have the strength and will to put the clubs on notice or will he just let them continue down this selfish and destructive path?

My money is on the latter and AFL will eventually be NSW and QLD's favorite sport. Should happen around 2050-60.

when did I not get it ?

going from strength to strength ?
LOL

Peter rabbit is still preferred to AFL on TV in Sydney , despite it having a presence here for 39 years & probably a billion dollars spent on trying to covert sydneysiders in that time
the GWS still play to crowds that would embarrass A league sides

I'd suggest its you who doesn't get it

And yet the ratings between the NRL and AFL are very similar in any given year. Some years they're ahead then other years we are ahead. So much for RL being a TV game and AFL being a, at the ground better game.

They blow us away when you think of it that way don't they? And if it wasn't for SOO they would be trouncing us most years. We are slowly fading and no one at head office has stood up to address this yet, other then lip service. And you fans are just in denial.

The AFL has landed and is squatting its big fat arse all over us and taking a mighty huge dump and all all the stake holders, including most fans, are doing is opening their gummy mouths, trying to make some noise, but swallowing all of it none the less.
hahahaha
chill pill chicken little

I keep hearing ‘we should be averaging 20k’

No one has ever adequately described to me why they think we should be averaging 20k.

Yes, crowds were on the up in the late 90s. But do you know what else the late 90s had? 51cm TVs with analog SD signal.

Add to that, Sydney just doesn’t have a ‘go to the game’ culture like Melbourne or Brisbane.

There are now significantly more fans who would rather sit in their warm living room watching their 70 inch 4K TV than go to the game. All the bells and whistles in the world at a stadium won’t change that.
theres a difference between , won't be able to & can't
the first is an attitude that can be worked on , lots of things can be done starting with venues big enough to improve the attendance culture

the latter , if we build pissy little stadiums
means we never will have an attendance culture of any note

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I keep hearing ‘we should be averaging 20k’

No one has ever adequately described to me why they think we should be averaging 20k.

Yes, crowds were on the up in the late 90s. But do you know what else the late 90s had? 51cm TVs with analog SD signal.

Add to that, Sydney just doesn’t have a ‘go to the game’ culture like Melbourne or Brisbane.

There are now significantly more fans who would rather sit in their warm living room watching their 70 inch 4K TV than go to the game. All the bells and whistles in the world at a stadium won’t change that.

two reasons

1. it’s very good business for clubs to increase their customer base
2. As the main sport in large population areas there is no reason they couldn’t achieve it, pretty much every other sport in the world has.

watching it on tv is just a convenient excuse for clubs not generating fans that are passionate enough about the club to get off their arses and invest their time and money in cheering them on.

Perth Red

Post Whore
when did I not get it ?

going from strength to strength ?
LOL

Peter rabbit is still preferred to AFL on TV in Sydney , despite it having a presence here for 39 years & probably a billion dollars spent on trying to covert sydneysiders in that time
the GWS still play to crowds that would embarrass A league sides

I'd suggest its you who doesn't get it

2019 GWS had a bigger crowd avg than 3 sydney nrl clubs and a bigger membership than all but one Sydney club. Keep burying your head in the sand.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They also made the GF in 2019, PR and yet their crowd average was around 11k? If they had a similar season to the 3 Sydney clubs you’re probably comparing them to, I’d say they would’ve been lucky to crack 4k

don’t get me wrong, for an afl club their crowds are sht house, but they are the unwanted club dropped into the very heart of nrl territory and despite that they are still on par in their active supporter base as many nrl clubs. Just shows to me the u tapped potential to get nrl supporters more actively supporting their club.
Which brings us back to decent nrl stadiums with the capacity to offer cheap tickets, free kids memberships, decent food options and a great night out at the footy as an alternative to lounging on the settee at home.

MugaB

Coach
don’t get me wrong, for an afl club their crowds are sht house, but they are the unwanted club dropped into the very heart of nrl territory and despite that they are still on par in their active supporter base as many nrl clubs. Just shows to me the u tapped potential to get nrl supporters more actively supporting their club.
Which brings us back to decent nrl stadiums with the capacity to offer cheap tickets, free kids memberships, decent food options and a great night out at the footy as an alternative to lounging on the settee at home.
Thats what ALF thinks of our NRL Melbourne storm, maybe we should invest in another Melbourne franchise, or send our own "South Melbourne" down there into their territory

Timbo

Staff member
two reasons

1. it’s very good business for clubs to increase their customer base
2. As the main sport in large population areas there is no reason they couldn’t achieve it, pretty much every other sport in the world has.

watching it on tv is just a convenient excuse for clubs not generating fans that are passionate enough about the club to get off their arses and invest their time and money in cheering them on.

So your reason is, because it’d be good for business and because other sports have.

Neither of which actually addresses the fact that our crowds have remained static for a number of years now, and there are very good reasons why this is the case that are not reflective on the sport itself.

What do you lose by watching a game of NRL on TV? Nothing. Everything is happening in a line across the field around the ball.

What do you lose by watching AFL? Or soccer? Or NFL? Well, you lose a stack actually because so much is happening away from the football and being at the ground actually enhances the viewing experience.

So much of the argument that I always read here is ‘people should get off their backsides and support their club’. Why? If you buy merch or a membership, pay for Foxtel/Kayo or buy products advertised on channel 9 you are supporting your club financially. This just boils down to so many people saying ‘I like going to games - you should too’. And it has nothing to do with improving crowds.

So much of the argument that I always read here is ‘people should get off their backsides and support their club’. Why? If you buy merch or a membership, pay for Foxtel/Kayo or buy products advertised on channel 9 you are supporting your club financially.

That's not quite accurate. Firstly Foxtel and Kayo subscriptions are not paid to the club or the NRL by the individual, they are paid to Foxtel who use some of that money to pay for the TV rights. Hence it is Kayo and Foxtel- supporting the clubs. Its just semantics otherwise mate but that is the basic facts. Otherwise does it mean if you watch the adds on Channel 9 you also supporting the NRL due to the money they pay for its TV rights too?

As to merchandise, unless you buy it directly from the club, I believe you will find all revenue earned from merchandise sales (after the retailers take their slice) is put into a central pool which is then evenly divided between all clubs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So your reason is, because it’d be good for business and because other sports have.

yep, two pretty good reasons!
Clubs COULD earn a lot more than their tv grant if they would fill their stadiums, that is a fact. there is quite literally no reason they couldn’t if the sport is as popular as we like to think. The whole it’s better to watch on tv is just BS, it’s a lazy excuse. You could literally say that about anything: won’t go on holiday, easier to watch a travel show,
won’t go to concerts easier to stream the album,
won’t go to cinema, easier to watch on Netflix

attending Live events offers a different level of excitement, atmosphere and emotion.
Get stadiums sorted, stop playing at sht times, sort out ticket prices, actually market attendance and voila nrl is matching the 20k plus crowds of every other major sport in major cities around the world and clubs revenue has significantly increased.

emesssea

Juniors
What do you lose by watching a game of NRL on TV? Nothing. Everything is happening in a line across the field around the ball.

What do you lose by watching AFL? Or soccer? Or NFL? Well, you lose a stack actually because so much is happening away from the football and being at the ground actually enhances the viewing experience.

I'm not quite sure how true that is. It's been a while since I've watched American football on a regular basis, but I nor anyone I knew every had issues with the camera work, theres really not much happening outside the line of scrimmage, and theres enough time between plays to go over replays on what happened. Its actually quite common here for football fans to rather watch on tv as the in game experience is not that great compared to other US sports.

With soccer, they zoom out enough to be able to watch the plays build up.

Its actually NRL that I find the most frustrating to watch on tv. From the moment the tackle is started all the way through the play the ball the camera is zoomed in, and there's even times during open play they'll zoom in on the player with the ball. I have no idea how the teams are lining up and adjusting or what the options are for whoever has the ball. While Super League telecast also do this, I don't think its as bad as the NRLs. If you could wave a magic wand and have me living in Australia, I would probably be inclined to attend live matches for this very reason.

TheRam

Coach

Neither of which actually addresses the fact that our crowds have remained static for a number of years now, and there are very good reasons why this is the case that are not reflective on the sport itself.

So much of the argument that I always read here is ‘people should get off their backsides and support their club’. Why? If you buy merch or a membership, pay for Foxtel/Kayo or buy products advertised on channel 9 you are supporting your club financially. This just boils down to so many people saying ‘I like going to games - you should too’. And it has nothing to do with improving crowds.

Ah...no. Crowds, television ratings and participation are probably the 3 most important barometers to assess the health of a sport. We are floundering in crowds, and treading water on the other two at best. The women's game side is the true area of growth at participation level and ratings have been going down of late. Add to the lopsided score lines and I expect that the ratings will only get worse as the season unfolds and less interest will grow.

Whereas it doesn't seem to matter how lopsided the AFL's games are, their ratings, participation and crowds just keep growing. That is the difference between the two sports. They have managed to capture the hearts and souls of their followers. The NRL hasn't done as an effective job at this at all and it shows in the widening popularity in both.

T-Boon

Coach
I have said this before but the behind the goal posts in the new stadiums is a lot better than anything you get on TV. In the old days and the crap stadiums it is a terrible place to watch football because you cant see the forward progress and it is just a muddle of bodies. Fans will take many years to switch on to the fact they are the best seats in the house now.
To speed it up the NRL should insist on TV showing a lot more of the live action from high up at the ends.
The next stadium that should be upgraded with steep, close ends is Newcastle because they will get close to 30k crowds if they ever get a good team.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm not quite sure how true that is. It's been a while since I've watched American football on a regular basis, but I nor anyone I knew every had issues with the camera work, theres really not much happening outside the line of scrimmage, and theres enough time between plays to go over replays on what happened. Its actually quite common here for football fans to rather watch on tv as the in game experience is not that great compared to other US sports.

With soccer, they zoom out enough to be able to watch the plays build up.

Its actually NRL that I find the most frustrating to watch on tv. From the moment the tackle is started all the way through the play the ball the camera is zoomed in, and there's even times during open play they'll zoom in on the player with the ball. I have no idea how the teams are lining up and adjusting or what the options are for whoever has the ball. While Super League telecast also do this, I don't think its as bad as the NRLs. If you could wave a magic wand and have me living in Australia, I would probably be inclined to attend live matches for this very reason.

totally agree, listen to cronks commentary, he is talking about the movement of the players off the ball, how teams are setting up for the next play etc. you don’t get to see any of that on tv only whats happening at the ptb. I prefer SL coverage where they use the wider angle a lot more so you can see offsides, how plays develop etc.