What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

T-Boon

Coach
Neither of which actually addresses the fact that our crowds have remained static for a number of years now, and there are very good reasons why this is the case that are not reflective on the sport itself.

The arguments that the problem is within the game itself are more compelling. The clubs themselves are historically lazy and slow. Eg, membership. They had to be slapped in the face 15 years ago by the NRL itself to wake up to the membership push. They have become lazy again about membership since the NRL left it to the clubs. There are other examples of the clubs laziness that increase the suspicion that crowds could be better if the clubs were not lazy about it.
The game also has a culture of ignoring big segments of the community such as anyone other than the working or poor class. Solution: As a code try to get the game into universities and private schools etc etc.

What do you lose by watching a game of NRL on TV? Nothing. Everything is happening in a line across the field around the ball.

What do you lose by watching AFL? Or soccer? Or NFL? Well, you lose a stack actually because so much is happening away from the football and being at the ground actually enhances the viewing experience.

I've only been to one AFL game and in my opinion it looked garbage off the ball. Trainers everywhere attending to dudes who look like they arent going to be involved for next 5 minutes etc.
NRL could be better off the ball by insisting the coaching staff be on the side line and other such things.
Also as I said the game is great off the ball from behind the goal posts. Growing behind the goal post crowds should be a stated micro goal of the NRL.

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
totally agree, listen to cronks commentary, he is talking about the movement of the players off the ball, how teams are setting up for the next play etc. you don’t get to see any of that on tv only whats happening at the ptb. I prefer SL coverage where they use the wider angle a lot more so you can see offsides, how plays develop etc.

At the very least the TV vision from scrums should always be wide and above and showing the whole field.
Even when the scrum is in the wrong half because the fans can then get to see the opportunity to spread it in bad field position that conservative coaches refuse to take advantage of.

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
The arguments that the problem is within the game itself are more compelling. The clubs themselves are historically lazy and slow. Eg, membership. They had to be slapped in the face 15 years ago by the NRL itself to wake up to the membership push. They have become lazy again about membership since the NRL left it to the clubs. There are other examples of the clubs laziness that increase the suspicion that crowds could be better if the clubs were not lazy about it.
The game also has a culture of ignoring big segments of the community such as anyone other than the working or poor class. Solution: As a code try to get the game into universities and private schools etc etc.

I've only been to one AFL game and in my opinion it looked garbage off the ball. Trainers everywhere attending to dudes who look like they arent going to be involved for next 5 minutes etc.
NRL could be better off the ball by insisting the coaching staff be on the side line and other such things.
Also as I said the game is great off the ball from behind the goal posts. Growing behind the goal post crowds should be a stated micro goal of the NRL.

I'm not sure League needs private schools. It should just focus on development within more public schools maybe. Around Brisbane you got Wavell heights, Marsden and of course Keebra Park that have specialized Rugby league programs, i'm sure there's others.

Ah...no. Crowds, television ratings and participation are probably the 3 most important barometers to assess the health of a sport. We are floundering in crowds, and treading water on the other two at best. The women's game side is the true area of growth at participation level and ratings have been going down of late. Add to the lopsided score lines and I expect that the ratings will only get worse as the season unfolds and less interest will grow.

Whereas it doesn't seem to matter how lopsided the AFL's games are, their ratings, participation and crowds just keep growing. That is the difference between the two sports. They have managed to capture the hearts and souls of their followers. The NRL hasn't done as an effective job at this at all and it shows in the widening popularity in both.

hahahaha

any stats to back this up chicken little ?
or is it just a hunch ?

T-Boon

Coach
AFL averages are brought down by their 2 expansion clubs. In their traditional cities the crowds seem to keep improving.

T-Boon

Coach
I'm not sure League needs private schools. It should just focus on development within more public schools maybe. Around Brisbane you got Wavell heights, Marsden and of course Keebra Park that have specialized Rugby league programs, i'm sure there's others.

The competitions that do well around the world are doing well in private schools and public schools and all the classes of people. I think going off the poor crowds RL (and RU) gets it absolutely does need private schools and more to the point needs all the classes (poor, working, middle, snob) to feel wanted and invited to the game. RL is too proud of being seen as just the working class game never makes much effort with the middle class.

Steel Saints

Juniors
Hey guys, this is a Future NRL stadiums thread, not AFL average crowds thread, or NRL crowds thread. .

Whenever I see the NRL stadiums thread, I look to see if there's any updates on future venues being built or progress images on the new SFS, , not AFL crowds crap FFS.

Hey guys, this is a Future NRL stadiums thread, not AFL average crowds thread, or NRL crowds thread. .

Whenever I see the NRL stadiums thread, I look to see if there's any updates on future venues being built or progress images on the new SFS, , not AFL crowds crap FFS.

phhhtt
the new SFS

just another venue sydneysiders won't go to

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Does NRL have a fixture plan for new SFS?

How awesome would it be to have the first season have a game either every Thursday night or Friday night at SFS for 26 weeks straight..

NRL should be working with clubs and broadcasters now to set something up

Not just leave it to channel 9

T-Boon

Coach
Does NRL have a fixture plan for new SFS?

How awesome would it be to have the first season have a game either every Thursday night or Friday night at SFS for 26 weeks straight..

NRL should be working with clubs and broadcasters now to set something up

Not just leave it to channel 9

Lets have a magic round there.

Latest posts