What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First coach sacked

giboz71

First Grade
Fair enough that the Sharks don't think Morris can take the Sharks to a title, and I like how they are setting their bar high.

But Fitzgibbon, whilst highly credentialed is no sure thing. Its not like they have nabbed Bennett, Bellamy or Robinson.

Don't really see Fitzy being any different to O'Brien, who has a similar roster to the Sharks, He's miles away from a title.

Mjab

Juniors
Not sure of the background obviously but why wouldnt Morris stay and see out the year??
Hes not that bad and had a lot of restriction with the roster and salary cap and the current squad seem to like him
Better than who they will replace him with for the season thats for sure, Josh Hannay!!!!

Better long term for him to stay and rally the team , prove he is a good coach and be more able to secure a job at another club

Maybe it wasnt his choice but I find that bizzare
Do the sharks therefore have to pay him out or is he just walking away without $ for the rest season

Stupid on all sides to me

and yes I would prefer Fitzgibbon /Ciraldo , but thats next year

RE: John Morris

The Sharks Board have more or less determined that he isn't the man who is going to propel them to top four finishes and ultimately into genuine premiership contention. It's foresight. It's ambition. We are talking about a club who is now in the best financial position of their existence. They are not happy with just making up the numbers in the final eight, and not willing to accept that just missing the finals is a case of 'close enough is good enough'.

...unlike some boards who persist for seven years and remain insistent that their mate has a 'positive future' as a head coach, merely hoping that one day he might finish the team higher than seventh on the ladder and not exit out the back door of a finals campaign. Finish 9th / 10th / 11th - yeah all good, close enough is good enough. Lack of foresight. Lack of ambition.

I know we should be over it by now, and happy with how Hook is progressing with getting things turned around, but it's going to be so hard to heal the wounds of the Price/McGregor era. What we are seeing at the moment is proof that the last 7-9 years under the previous regime were well and truly wasted !

As a Sharks supporter I totally agree even on the outside looking in. You never saw progression from McGregor coached teams and you never saw an overall plan for the Club. With Griffin I already see something. Even this early on.

Sharks management are getting some stick from the media about moving on from John Morris but the fans who seriously follow the Club can see that moving on from Morris had to happen. Making the 8 once and falling into the 8 another year and bowing out week 1/2 is not good enough. This year would have been the same if he stayed. Also considering his very poor record against top 8 sides. This decision to move to Fitzy is a no brainer.

He is no guarantee but with John Morris we had ground hog day. But at least we didn’t wait 7 or 8 years to find out that he was a nice bloke but couldn’t get i the team over the.

Congrats Dino and the board for getting their man. A man that refused to go to the Warriors, Cowboys and Dragons when approached the last few years.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Not sure of the background obviously but why wouldnt Morris stay and see out the year??
Hes not that bad and had a lot of restriction with the roster and salary cap and the current squad seem to like him
Better than who they will replace him with for the season thats for sure, Josh Hannay!!!!

Better long term for him to stay and rally the team , prove he is a good coach and be more able to secure a job at another club

Maybe it wasnt his choice but I find that bizzare
Do the sharks therefore have to pay him out or is he just walking away without $ for the rest season

Stupid on all sides to me

and yes I would prefer Fitzgibbon /Ciraldo , but thats next year
They are replacing one rookie coach with another rookie coach. We know how that worked with Price & McGregor. I’ll take an experienced coach any day, Fitzgibbon is highly rated but he’s still just a rookie.

In a very short amount of time Hook has strengthened our roster without breaking the Bank & has the boys playing like a top 4 team.

A strong finals campaign looks achievable this year with a crack at the title next year with a further strengthened squad.

Gareth67

First Grade
I certainly do feel for John Morris , he really made a great showing with Cronulla and did deserve better from the Sharks board .

Unfortunately there’s no give any longer in the cut throat world of the boardroom , they make a decision without any sentimentality involved .

But of course they cannot say that the man did not do his job , as imo the results speak for themselves .

I hope that Morris receives his full entitlement as far as the payout is concerned , if not I would be taking the mongrels to court for every last penny that is owed to him .

TruSaint

Referee
I certainly do feel for John Morris , he really made a great showing with Cronulla and did deserve better from the Sharks board .

Unfortunately there’s no give any longer in the cut throat world of the boardroom , they make a decision without any sentimentality involved .

But of course they cannot say that the man did not do his job , as imo the results speak for themselves .

I hope that Morris receives his full entitlement as far as the payout is concerned , if not I would be taking the mongrels to court for every last penny that is owed to him .

Agree, he got the gig after so much turmoil. Got them to 7th and 8th, and now people are saying "he had to go".

The media backed our coach for seven fricken years and still sooked when he was sacked. Morris, 2 years of finals footy, with a basketcase cap and overpaid players gets the hook.

All of a sudden stats like " he didnt win against the top sides " , are rolled out. Well guess what, neither did our coach. In fact we were embarrassed when playing good oppo.

Fitzgibbon may be the next Bellamy, or my guess with all the hype he will end up like Seibold.

ALSGI

Bench

Agree, but there was no need to beat us in Round1 if he was going to get sacked.
Reckless and unnecessary really if Narks season was going to shit.

giboz71

First Grade
Time will tell brother.
I just think Morris was poorly handled.

Got the feeling one of the powerbrokers in the club just wanted him gone. Losing to the Roosters after a big lead was the perfect excuse to cut him loose.

Reminds me of when Hook got the chop from Penrith, for no real reason other than he didn't get on with Gus. Cleary was having none of that when he came over so he said it's me or Gus. Lucky for Penrith they chose Cleary and they will likely win a comp because of it.

Gareth67

First Grade
Agree from all the media reports but that’s just one side of the story.

The media reports , yes its a wonder that the Sharks No.1 supporter ( no not Scotty Morrison ) , but Phil Rothfield did not let Morris know that the gig was up . :thinking:

Got the feeling one of the powerbrokers in the club just wanted him gone. Losing to the Roosters after a big lead was the perfect excuse to cut him loose.

Reminds me of when Hook got the chop from Penrith, for no real reason other than he didn't get on with Gus. Cleary was having none of that when he came over so he said it's me or Gus. Lucky for Penrith they chose Cleary and they will likely win a comp because of it.
Nope, that game had nothing to do with it giboz.

This goes back to last November and a number of moves in a plan that is still playing out.

John was / wasn’t doing a number of things that have today been put out there in part by Kent. Not actions of a head coach TBH.

rumour has it Monday’s meeting didn’t pan out the way Orr and John made out to Wielder. That one would be interesting if true / confirmed

Captain Hook

Juniors

I thought the reason for the sacking of hook was to lure Ivan Cleary for the signature of his son.

Latest posts