What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First coach sacked

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
The competition appears to be splitting into two , the top sides predictably have the top coaches. The problem as I see it is there are only really 6/8 good coaches and without one of them you don’t succeed.
Or maybe the teams with the top players make their coaches look better. Brad Arthur, Cleary are perfect examples, Bellamy the exception, Robbo I’ve yet to see him coach a team low on talent so I wouldn’t know. The next few weeks will tell a lot but you put Teddy alone in any side in the NRL and he’ll get them winning a few they shouldn’t have.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
A good coach knows having the best players doesn't automatically mean good results. It's more about getting the best out of the players in your squad.

Walters must be close to walking or being shown the door. There's a limit on how much he can blame the club's administration.

possm

Coach
Defence has been one of the Cowboys major problems and Dean Young is the defence coach. Just look how much better Saints defence is now, compared to last season when Young was our defence coach.

FlameThrower

Bench
A good coach knows having the best players doesn't automatically mean good results. It's more about getting the best out of the players in your squad.

Walters must be close to walking or being shown the door. There's a limit on how much he can blame the club's administration.
I really doubt Broncos would do that so early in the season. They need to look at blooding new players now and target a decent half, and hooker for next year . Walters brought on his brother as an assistant and a bunch of old boy Broncos, that’s part of the problem. 2021 also has Cowboys, Dogs, Manly all playing even worse football, so they may not get the spoon. BTW - Funny know one has mentioned the Bennett Curse strikes again.... Dragons once, Knights once, Broncos twice....South’s look out.

Because it's never too early...

Barrett
Payten
Walters

All first year and struggling

Des
Madge

Just both renewed.

Any smokies?

Would any club sack their first year coach?

I actually think all five names above are safe this year.
Barrett on a 3 year deal so they wont pay out 2 plus years. Also as someone else mentioned he will have time with quality coming next year in JAC and Burton.
Payten also signed a 3 year deal which to me is a surprise as I don't rate him as a Coach. Maybe its not him but the combo of Payten and Young as both too similar. I think an assistant under Payten needs to be someone a little more gentler in there approach so there is a good balance. Again 2 plus years is a massive payout.
Walters only on a 2 year deal but will be safe this year but massive pressure early next year to perform. The old boys will look after him but the fans up this way are already impatient.
Des has just signed on again for an extra year so now has 2.5 years to go too. If KPI's in his last year extension that could ease a pay out of one year but I'm surprised he was extended so early this season (reminds me of Price & McGregor early extensions in recent years).
Madge is an interesting one isn't he, all talk and discipline yet that doesn't transfer onto the field. This is his third year at the Club so I'm surprised his name isn't under pressure more.
Unfortunately John Morris still seems to be the one under pressure. He probably deserves to stay on as Head Coach but they seem to want change.
O'Brien if he doesn't go any better than week 1 finals again will have pressure next year although I get the feeling he is also protected by a lot from his Rooster connections.
That leaves Browny and Hook so it will only take a few losses in a row for us to have the Media questioning what he / us are doing so that will equal pressure and Browny is an easy Target and could get the ass from Gus mid next year if things go up and down.
Overall I'm F@%ked if I know.
Happy Easter all.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I really doubt Broncos would do that so early in the season. They need to look at blooding new players now and target a decent half, and hooker for next year . Walters brought on his brother as an assistant and a bunch of old boy Broncos, that’s part of the problem. 2021 also has Cowboys, Dogs, Manly all playing even worse football, so they may not get the spoon. BTW - Funny know one has mentioned the Bennett Curse strikes again.... Dragons once, Knights once, Broncos twice....South’s look out.
You're probably right, but Walters' critics are beginning to circle.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
I'm sorry but did everyone just forget just how shit the cowboys have been the last 3 years?
Agree Slackboy72, said something similar early in the week. Can’t blame Young, they’ve been poor as you say for 3-4 years. Blame previous coach. Also, i really don’t think we should ever know whose the defensive coach is. The buck ends with the Head Coach full stop! Defence is both skill and attitude and if players aren’t tapping in to the collective narrative of the Head Coach or his message than you could have the best defensive coach on the world and it wouldn’t matter.

Last edited:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I still cannot believe the family club sacked there one club man and loyal man in Dean Pay and replaced him with another rookie. Bad call as they tried that and should have gone for experience. Baz did not finish in Manly on a good note. I suppose that is experience but he has similar experience to Terry Lamb, Langmack, Furner etc who had short stints which ended badly. Manly wanted him out quick smart which is a bad sign. I think Baz has killed his chances of being an NRL coach as he will not last at a club such as the Dogs who demand success immediately. Dean Pay good example. Had not mch of a sqquad and strung wins together but no depth yet was booted.

Payten can coach but looks to have a squad that does not want to put in the hard hards. Thurston was clearly the man behind their previous success. Once he left Morgan did well only to fall to bad injuries. But Payten left Warriors on a good note so he was worth a gamble. They will give him time. Cowboys seem to be more patient with coaches.

Walters, he coached QLD but anyone who coaches Origin sides do not automatically become good NRL coaches. Being in charge of a quality team for 3 games with no salary cap to work with and require no real coaching in terms of developing a player is a massive difference to a team that has a handful of talent and mostly players you need to develop. Why Bennett was sacked was a huge mistake. Their board makes the Saints one look world class and that is not easy.

Maguire is a hard nut and is slowly getting rid of the bad wood. He inherited a huge mess and would win the odd game here and there. They show glimpses of a great side then they show their bad side. They will have a top game or a bad one, no in between. If they can get that right he will go ok. I still think they may squeeze into the 8.

Of the 3 I think Baz will be cut first but I also think Morris at Sharks is destined for the sack no matter what the poor guy does. Dogs were better of trying to get him as he seems to get the best out of players.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
They won't sack Walters that's ridiculous. Only if someone like Bellamy become available. I reckon they will have a mini clean out first.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I still cannot believe the family club sacked there one club man and loyal man in Dean Pay and replaced him with another rookie. Bad call as they tried that and should have gone for experience. Baz did not finish in Manly on a good note. I suppose that is experience but he has similar experience to Terry Lamb, Langmack, Furner etc who had short stints which ended badly. Manly wanted him out quick smart which is a bad sign. I think Baz has killed his chances of being an NRL coach as he will not last at a club such as the Dogs who demand success immediately. Dean Pay good example. Had not mch of a sqquad and strung wins together but no depth yet was booted.

Payten can coach but looks to have a squad that does not want to put in the hard hards. Thurston was clearly the man behind their previous success. Once he left Morgan did well only to fall to bad injuries. But Payten left Warriors on a good note so he was worth a gamble. They will give him time. Cowboys seem to be more patient with coaches.

Walters, he coached QLD but anyone who coaches Origin sides do not automatically become good NRL coaches. Being in charge of a quality team for 3 games with no salary cap to work with and require no real coaching in terms of developing a player is a massive difference to a team that has a handful of talent and mostly players you need to develop. Why Bennett was sacked was a huge mistake. Their board makes the Saints one look world class and that is not easy.

Maguire is a hard nut and is slowly getting rid of the bad wood. He inherited a huge mess and would win the odd game here and there. They show glimpses of a great side then they show their bad side. They will have a top game or a bad one, no in between. If they can get that right he will go ok. I still think they may squeeze into the 8.

Of the 3 I think Baz will be cut first but I also think Morris at Sharks is destined for the sack no matter what the poor guy does. Dogs were better of trying to get him as he seems to get the best out of players.
Only thing is Baz got some good players, namely Burton to come across. Even if they sack him tomorrow, he's done his job. On paper they are a very poor team currently but with Burton, the Fox and a few others they should start to see some success.

epDragon62

First Grade
Or maybe the teams with the top players make their coaches look better. Brad Arthur, Cleary are perfect examples, Bellamy the exception, Robbo I’ve yet to see him coach a team low on talent so I wouldn’t know. The next few weeks will tell a lot but you put Teddy alone in any side in the NRL and he’ll get them winning a few they shouldn’t have.
Robinson is an excellent coach; yes he has talent but they play brilliantly.

giboz71

First Grade
To be honest, I expected all the new coaches to struggle, even Griffin.

Generally, most new coaches inherit basket cases created by the previous coach and/or administration.

Cows, Broncos, Dogs were all horrible last year and they still are. We were awful also, the fact we are 3-1, I’m pleasantly surprised. In reality after the Charity Shield, I thought we would be just as bad as the other poor sides.

It amazing what a few tweaks to the squad and some actual coaching can achieve in a short space of time.

possm

Coach
John Morris sacked by Cronulla, effective immediately. Source: ABC News.
I wonder how McInnes is feeling now. Out of the pan into the fire and the Saints are travelling so well. I doubt there is any chance of linking up with beloved Mary in 2022.

matPORTS

Juniors
RE: John Morris

The Sharks Board have more or less determined that he isn't the man who is going to propel them to top four finishes and ultimately into genuine premiership contention. It's foresight. It's ambition. We are talking about a club who is now in the best financial position of their existence. They are not happy with just making up the numbers in the final eight, and not willing to accept that just missing the finals is a case of 'close enough is good enough'.

...unlike some boards who persist for seven years and remain insistent that their mate has a 'positive future' as a head coach, merely hoping that one day he might finish the team higher than seventh on the ladder and not exit out the back door of a finals campaign. Finish 9th / 10th / 11th - yeah all good, close enough is good enough. Lack of foresight. Lack of ambition.

I know we should be over it by now, and happy with how Hook is progressing with getting things turned around, but it's going to be so hard to heal the wounds of the Price/McGregor era. What we are seeing at the moment is proof that the last 7-9 years under the previous regime were well and truly wasted !