What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 v Tigers

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Yes but you have to laugh of the timing from the SMH of the Tiger bashing and Maguire sacking rumours
Just before the Dragons game... right on cue
Just like the how good are we going prior to the Warriors game
Yes, granted, it’s all a-bit constructed....in saying that there might also be an assumption that the Tigers will actually lift and rally, not so sure? Irrespective, I’d just love us to not give a damn who we play or care about their particular circumstances. Our aim should be to consistency develop the ability to play with the energy and enthusiasm of the Parramatta and Newcastle games; if we can achieve that than the opposition’s situations become irrelevant (...memories of 2010).

Old Timer

Coach
We only have control over what we do ourselves and if we do things well then we get the bickies on the day.

If we let our minds wander and spook ourselves with media tripe then we will surely beat ourselves.

Everyone needs to focus on themselves and what they can do better to contribute to the overall “team” performance.

This week and next we will prove how much mental toughness we really have.

I’m expecting a really big 80 minute performance from our boys.

LINESPEED

Juniors
Selections take the back seat to addressing the current major issues with lethargy the last two weeks. How can we get right up into the face of Parramatta and pressure them with our aggressive defence and then with the Roosters (and in the Charity Shield v Bunnies) wait for them to come to us and then try and cling onto them?

What's the secret? It's chalk and cheese at the moment and still have PTSD from the Mary days. It can't continue, sure Hook won't allow it.

The secret is always linespeed

Crush

Coach
This is exactly the type of game McGregor’s Dragons (geez it still hurts to use those words) - exactly the kind of game we lost under McGregor.
Hopefully this trend ends under Griffin.
If it doesn’t, if we lose our next couple of game vs Tigers and Dogs, do the pitchforks come out? Are fans entitled to jump up and down?
I reckon this weekend is massive in the scheme of things, it will truly show if we have developed under Griffin or if we are still the same old team that played under Mary.
It’s an absolute must win.

TruSaint

Referee
If it doesn’t, if we lose our next couple of game vs Tigers and Dogs, do the pitchforks come out? Are fans entitled to jump up and down?
I reckon this weekend is massive in the scheme of things, it will truly show if we have developed under Griffin or if we are still the same old team that played under Mary.
It’s an absolute must win.

Yes,

I don't think we will, but God forbid we do lose those games, I will be asking the questions of Hook.

Just cant see it happening.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
We’ll put 50 on the tigers.

Dash their premiership hopes.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Yes,

I don't think we will, but God forbid we do lose those games, I will be asking the questions of Hook.

Just cant see it happening.

We have an ordinary team that was exposed by a superior team on Sunday- and Melbourne, Penrith and Souths would have beaten us as well. This ordinary team has been playing above itself due to good coaching and can continue to beat the middle and lower ranked teams with said coaching but tough decisions need to be made at the selection table to ensure that this happens and that we don't get upset by teams like the Warriors.

The first, glaring decision needs to be the dumping of Corey Norman. I posted elsewhere that he is effectively playing Rugby by wanting to kick (inaccurately), pass (ineffectively) and never take on the line in attack. Clune is not brilliant but he offers much more of a threat in attack than Norman. If both halves offer a threat to the opposition line, our attacking potency increases immeasurably. So if Hunt is fit, he's No 7 and Clune to 5/8. If Hunt is unfit, Clune to 7 and Bird to 5/8.

Wiliame will probably get the gig to replace Bird in the second scenario but I'm still underwhelmed by him. Would rather Jackson Ford or Billy Burns be tried-they are the future.

TruSaint

Referee
We have an ordinary team that was exposed by a superior team on Sunday- and Melbourne, Penrith and Souths would have beaten us as well. This ordinary team has been playing above itself due to good coaching and can continue to beat the middle and lower ranked teams with said coaching but tough decisions need to be made at the selection table to ensure that this happens and that we don't get upset by teams like the Warriors.

The first, glaring decision needs to be the dumping of Corey Norman. I posted elsewhere that he is effectively playing Rugby by wanting to kick (inaccurately), pass (ineffectively) and never take on the line in attack. Clune is not brilliant but he offers much more of a threat in attack than Norman. If both halves offer a threat to the opposition line, our attacking potency increases immeasurably. So if Hunt is fit, he's No 7 and Clune to 5/8. If Hunt is unfit, Clune to 7 and Bird to 5/8.

Wiliame will probably get the gig to replace Bird in the second scenario but I'm still underwhelmed by him. Would rather Jackson Ford or Billy Burns be tried-they are the future.

Fair analysis.

I just dont think Griffin will drop Norman.

TruSaint

Referee
St George Illawarra trio Tyrell Fuimaono, Mikaele Ravalawa and Jordan Pereira have all taken the early guilty plea after being charged by the NRL match review committee following the Dragons' hefty loss to the Sydney Roosters on Anzac Day.

Pereira's highly publicised hit on Roosters fullback James Tedesco will see him miss three weeks after being charged with a grade three careless high tackle.

Fellow winger Ravalawa will miss two weeks after being hit with a grade two shoulder charge on Roosters centre Josh Morris.

Fuimaono's grade one careless high tackle, also on Tedesco, will see him fined $1350 following his respective early guilty plea

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2021/04/26/trio-charged-by-match-review-committee/

Dragonslayer

First Grade
As we enter round 8, here are some interesting stats (where our players rank, top 50) to ponder

We want players in these stats:

Tries - Dufty = 6th : Rava = 13th : Lomax & Sims = 29th
Runs - Rava 17th : Vaughan 23rd : Dufty 48th
Run metres - Dufty 23rd : Vaughan 25th : Rava 29th
PCM - Vaughan 4th
Tackle Breaks - Bird =21st : Dufty = 42nd : Rava = 43rd
Try Assists - Hunt = 9th : Clune, Bird, Norman & Dufty = 24th
Line Break Assists - Bird, Dufty & Norman = 13th : Clune & Hunt = 27th
Tackles - Macca 2nd : Alvaro 25th : Sims 46th : Vaughan 49th

We don't want players in these stats:

Missed Tackles - Sims = 5th : Bird = 8th : Kerr = 12th : Norman & Alvaro = 30th : Clune & Maguire = 38th
Ineffective Tackles - Kerr = 14th : Bird = 20th : Ramsey = 29th
Errors - Lomax = 8th : Dufty = 13th : Ramsey = 26th : Kerr = 37th
Handling Errors - Dufty = 4th : Ramsey & Lomax = 9th : Kerr = 28th
Penalties - Fuimaono = 21st

Note: Maguire missed tackles includes when he was at the Cowboys.

For me, having 7 players in the top 50 of missed tackles is a major stat concern.

Dufty just about appears in every stat, good and bad, and really highlights what Hook says about him currently.
For all the good Bird does, it's offset by the negative aspects of his game, however, he can only improve with more game time.
Kerr needs to improve his defense and error rate, maybe some more experience in the one position would help.
Ramsey surprised with his negative side as well, but he will improve with more games (he is not a centre).

RedVDave

First Grade
I was impressed with Billy Burns on Sunday.

I'm feeling a little uneasy about this one Tigpies always seem to fire up against us, plus they are under all sorts of pressure at the moment could very well come out all guns blazing.

TruSaint

Referee
NRL squad for Round 8 v Wests Tigers –
1. Matt Dufty – sponsored by EFEX
2. Cody Ramsey – sponsored by Aspec Masonry
3. Jack Bird – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
4. Zac Lomax – sponsored by Floormania
5. Max Feagai – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski
6. Corey Norman – sponsored by TripADeal
7. Ben Hunt (c) – sponsored by Narellan Pools Illawarra
8. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by Gym Solutions
9. Andrew McCullough – sponsored by Dincel Construction System
10. Paul Vaughan – sponsored by Fox and Jones
11. Josh Kerr – sponsored by Sneaky Burger
12. Tariq Sims – sponsored by Modus Projects
13. Tyrell Fuimaono – sponsored by TLE Alexandria

Interchange:
14. Adam Clune – sponsored by CMG Audio Visual
15. Josh McGuire – sponsored by Deicorp16. Daniel Alvaro – sponsored by Manna from Heaven
17. Billy Burns – sponsored by Professionals Padstow
18. Kaide Ellis
19. Jackson Ford – sponsored by TLE Alexandria
20. Poasa Faamausili
21. Junior Amone

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/202...1F3yK4_How3sNLVfRlbU71mIPQG8McqyK7_QPPL1lMhN0

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
St George Illawarra trio Tyrell Fuimaono, Mikaele Ravalawa and Jordan Pereira have all taken the early guilty plea after being charged by the NRL match review committee following the Dragons' hefty loss to the Sydney Roosters on Anzac Day.

Pereira's highly publicised hit on Roosters fullback James Tedesco will see him miss three weeks after being charged with a grade three careless high tackle.

Fellow winger Ravalawa will miss two weeks after being hit with a grade two shoulder charge on Roosters centre Josh Morris.

Fuimaono's grade one careless high tackle, also on Tedesco, will see him fined $1350 following his respective early guilty plea

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2021/04/26/trio-charged-by-match-review-committee/

Thanks for that TS

Maddragon99

Juniors
NRL squad for Round 8 v Wests Tigers –
1. Matt Dufty – sponsored by EFEX
2. Cody Ramsey – sponsored by Aspec Masonry
3. Jack Bird – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
4. Zac Lomax – sponsored by Floormania
5. Max Feagai – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski
6. Corey Norman – sponsored by TripADeal
7. Ben Hunt (c) – sponsored by Narellan Pools Illawarra
8. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by Gym Solutions
9. Andrew McCullough – sponsored by Dincel Construction System
10. Paul Vaughan – sponsored by Fox and Jones
11. Josh Kerr – sponsored by Sneaky Burger
12. Tariq Sims – sponsored by Modus Projects
13. Tyrell Fuimaono – sponsored by TLE Alexandria

Interchange:
14. Adam Clune – sponsored by CMG Audio Visual
15. Josh McGuire – sponsored by Deicorp16. Daniel Alvaro – sponsored by Manna from Heaven
17. Billy Burns – sponsored by Professionals Padstow
18. Kaide Ellis
19. Jackson Ford – sponsored by TLE Alexandria
20. Poasa Faamausili
21. Junior Amone

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/202...1F3yK4_How3sNLVfRlbU71mIPQG8McqyK7_QPPL1lMhN0
I was pretty confident for the Warriors & Roosters games, they were games we should have been up for. I’m sensing a ambush this Sunday, it’s a game we definitely need to win & the pressure & expectation of a home game might be too much for the boys.

We definitely are a work in progress

Latest posts