What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 v Tigers

SaintPeter

Juniors
Extremely disappointing result and I'm just getting over it today.
On the positive side I believe we defended very well and better than we have under the previous coaching regime.
On the negative side - obviously we turned over (dropped catches, failing to take kicks, losing it in the tackle, etc, etc,) way too much easy ball, and then our attack was too slow.
Probably because we were buggered from defending so much.
For me two things need fixing
1. The speed or lack there of in the halves (both Hunt and Norman, they are just too slow in the modern game. One of em has to go) Hopefully Sullivan will prove to be the savior here.
2. Duffty is not a first grade player, and despite making a couple of tackles yesterday, he is still fails as a competent full back.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
What i don’t understand is how we play so poorly at our home grounds. It’s like we’re not connected to them at all. Yesterday seems like we were as flat as a 3 day opened can of Coke. Kogarah and Win hardly seem to be an advantage or a place to fear anymore. We used to have oppositions half beat before we even played them at home. The lack of intensity at home games in recent years is somewhat mystifying..

denis preston

First Grade
I don't love some of the selections but was a chance for some people to justify their positions in the team. I blame the players more than the coach. Lomax said himself during the game they played frantically. A patient, professional performance would have iced that game.

It was great to see Vaughan yell at Sims after he was called offside. He had a dropped ball either side of that all within 5 mins. Every time one of our blokes spilled the pill we didn't take it as a chance to learn but instead we kept fumbling, some players looking to the ref for excuses instead of just owning their own game. I just wish some of these players didn't get the chance to wear a proud jersey. Kerr, Ellis, Burns, Alvaro...they don't appreciate the privilege. They've been extended a favour in their careers and they can't repay because they are not up to it.

Try something else now coach before we repeat last year v Dogs.

These 4 really aren't NRL standard in that you need to be consistent so the coach can build plans around their game. They have been poor for weeks. The irony here is i bet Kerr will make the QLD SOO side !

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
What i don’t understand is how we play so poorly at our home grounds. It’s like we’re not connected to them at all. Yesterday seems like we were as flat as a 3 day opened can of Coke. Kogarah and Win hardly seem to be an advantage or a place to fear anymore. We used to have oppositions half beat before we even played them at home. The lack of intensity at home games in recent years is somewhat mystifying..

A weekend to forget for the Red V- Beaten in the KOE and Jersey Flegg by the Tigers as well and lost the SG Ball GF to the Raiders.

46 missed tackles tells the story in defence. All those who promote Jack Bird for SOO, should look back at his rush up defensive miss on Tuivasa Sheck who went on to score the match winning try for the Warriors and his bad miss on Joey Manu on Sunday.

Hate to say it, but this team's tactics in attack are starting to look a lot like Mary's last year. One out runners not even looking for support, Norman passing when he should run, hesitating
when he should pass quickly and never taking on the line generally ensuring that we rarely threaten in attack. Yes, we had players out- but so did the Roosters and the Sharks both of whose backlines were far more threatening than ours.

thebigredv

First Grade
What I really dislike is the team getting a pat on the back for 'good defence'. How can the coach be happy with 47 missed tackles - the worst of any side and against one of the least imposing attacking teams? The scrambling was great but it was also that which drained us of the little life in attack we had left. I feel like taking the jersey away from a few of our players, I was actually livid. As a team, they don't deserve any credit.

Those words...that's Mary territory.

We don't have the squad to make a mark on the comp, I accept. I anticipate massive changes with recruitment. If they do not come Griffin will effectively sign his own death warrant.
In the meantime we just need to simplify the plan, as our players have purely lost their energy (as was the case with the mid season fade outs in years gone by). Against the Dogs I just ask that we 1. tackle and 2. respect the ball. That will be enough to remain competitive against the lesser touted clubs, of which we are very much one.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Madge's tactic for his players to defend and keep us down our end for much of the second half worked well as it caused us to panic and be ineffective in getting into their half. We were fortunate to lead at half time and we had the wind behind us but in the second half they had the wind and were able to get good high kicks down to our players and they were able to contain us most of the time.

Once the Tigers scored their second try, they were going to win by using that tactic.

Our attack was very lack lustre and robotic most of the game and all of the mistakes and missed tackles we made you could see the writing on the wall.

You can tell that things are bad when your best point scorer, Lomax, only scoring 2 points a game in the last 3 albeit he was injured today. We just don't have any attacking flair which is needed for us to score tries and then not being able to defend them.

Our mental and physical state seem to be a big problem in the last 3 games.

To be fair it had a strong feel of 15 playing 16. Poor handling and unimaginative attack from both sides but the Wests Tigers made less defensive errors and were up for it.

I thought that the game was one in the halves-Douehi was infinitely better than Norman. Hunt wasn't bad but he was kept in check. Norman is lazy in attack and easy to defend. If Hook doesn't make the decision to sack Norman, it could cost him his coaching career.

We had little ball ....again. Usually it is the six agains that kill us, but yesterday it was penalties and lost balls. It was a warm day and we did look pretty gassed.

Our lack of talented and experienced depth is starting to show. Our KOE side is second last and there is talk of bypassing it to bring in Sloan from the SG Ball team on the wing to replace Ramsey.

Another loooong year in prospect

BLM01

First Grade
What I really dislike is the team getting a pat on the back for 'good defence'. How can the coach be happy with 47 missed tackles - the worst of any side and against one of the least imposing attacking teams? The scrambling was great but it was also that which drained us of the little life in attack we had left. I feel like taking the jersey away from a few of our players, I was actually livid. As a team, they don't deserve any credit.

Those words...that's Mary territory.

We don't have the squad to make a mark on the comp, I accept. I anticipate massive changes with recruitment. If they do not come Griffin will effectively sign his own death warrant.
In the meantime we just need to simplify the plan, as our players have purely lost their energy (as was the case with the mid season fade outs in years gone by). Against the Dogs I just ask that we 1. tackle and 2. respect the ball. That will be enough to remain competitive against the lesser touted clubs, of which we are very much one.
To be fair. I did not here him say the defence was good.
he said he was happy with efforts and talking about defence..which eludes to ypour agrreance re scramble. Bg difference. Hook will not lay the boot in at a press conference. He does all that behind closed doors
But lot of miss tackles due to having no ball in the 2nd half and fatigue
It was our own fault..but
Happy to be proven wrong with that

BLM01

First Grade
A weekend to forget for the Red V- Beaten in the KOE and Jersey Flegg by the Tigers as well and lost the SG Ball GF to the Raiders.

46 missed tackles tells the story in defence. All those who promote Jack Bird for SOO, should look back at his rush up defensive miss on Tuivasa Sheck who went on to score the match winning try for the Warriors and his bad miss on Joey Manu on Sunday.

Hate to say it, but this team's tactics in attack are starting to look a lot like Mary's last year. One out runners not even looking for support, Norman passing when he should run, hesitating
when he should pass quickly and never taking on the line generally ensuring that we rarely threaten in attack. Yes, we had players out- but so did the Roosters and the Sharks both of whose backlines were far more threatening than ours.
Agree they have changed their way of steaming onto the ball from the back fence in attack.
The backs are too shallow when the ball is getting swung out wide...(except for our 1st try.)
Agree Norman's first instict when he gets the ball is to sum up the situation with a few steps, when at times he needs a quick pass inside or outside..(except for our 1st try)
What irks me is I can feel Gus, Webster and Mary quietly saying (I told you so) with a big grin
Thanks career coach..you, recuitment and the board that backed you have put us in this position, not Hook

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

The one exception was the SGI loud mouth supporter screaming at Douehi taking conversion attempts from the eastern touchline. Made it onto NRL 360 highlight reel.

Latest posts