What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

we are NOT the Real Deal!!

RedVDave

First Grade
Some people on here crack me up we lose 3 trial games and the local derby in rnd 1 and we are the worst team ever. We win 4 straight and we now are a premiership force, we lose 3 games now and we back to being wooden spooners apparently.

Seriously guys it's a new era, a new system, a new structure, a new team and new coaches things will not happen overnight, there will be inconsistencies throughout the year with experimenting, injuries (and pretty soon origin to) whilst the last 3 losses have hurt let's put things in perspective warriors played perfect (literally) not one error and beat us by 6, roosters have been a top 4 and premiership team for close to a decade and showed there class against us, yesterday we played at our worst and a very desperate Tigpies team played there absolute best and only just beat us barring injuries it'll be a very different story when we play them in a few weeks time.

This weekend should of been a walk in the park but with our injury toll it'll be tougher than anticipated. I still firmly believe we will win though, let's get behind the boys, Go You Dragons!!!!

Lovemedragons

Juniors
"we just don't have the players" hahaha practically the same core squad as last year. NOW it's the players. Last year it was the coach. If only we have a new coach they said. Mary the patsy
Ffs are you frickn serious, we have moved on from the bald prick who oversaw an extended period of ineptitude which cannot be shaken in a few games. Mary can keep coaching u 18

BLM01

First Grade
Ffs are you frickn serious, we have moved on from the bald prick who oversaw an extended period of ineptitude which cannot be shaken in a few games. Mary can keep coaching u 18
LMD.. don’t take the bait
Everyone has a supporter somewhere out there

Illusion

Bench
I dont know why our coaches never see it, but Norman is useless and has had his chances.Either put Bird at 5/8 or give someone else a go. I was at Kogarah for his crap performance against the Warriors, and watched a repeat today at WIN.Why is he a protected species? Why was Clune shafted when it should have been Norman.His kicking performance is appaling-straight to the opposition with no pressure, and his running and un-inspiring. The longer he stays there the worse we get.Its been too many seasons already with this loser yet somehow he gets getting picked. If he plays the same next week at Kogarah I wont be holding back.Im sick of his overpaid incompetance
Agree , we have a problem here and its Hook ..... He has said a few times that Norman is a very good footballer .... Now its getting to the stage whether Hook makes the big call and drops him ...... Or is it that injuries to others are keeping him there ..... Time will tell .....

Crush

Coach
Some people on here crack me up we lose 3 trial games and the local derby in rnd 1 and we are the worst team ever. We win 4 straight and we now are a premiership force, we lose 3 games now and we back to being wooden spooners apparently.

Seriously guys it's a new era, a new system, a new structure, a new team and new coaches things will not happen overnight, there will be inconsistencies throughout the year with experimenting, injuries (and pretty soon origin to) whilst the last 3 losses have hurt let's put things in perspective warriors played perfect (literally) not one error and beat us by 6, roosters have been a top 4 and premiership team for close to a decade and showed there class against us, yesterday we played at our worst and a very desperate Tigpies team played there absolute best and only just beat us barring injuries it'll be a very different story when we play them in a few weeks time.

This weekend should of been a walk in the park but with our injury toll it'll be tougher than anticipated. I still firmly believe we will win though, let's get behind the boys, Go You Dragons!!!!
A couple of things here, Warriors had a perfect completion rate but they were pretty ordinary. They lacked spark and were there for the taking. We just didn’t show up that day which is disheartening considering we were at home at Kogarah.
Roosters game, whatever, the occasion got to us, I can cop that loss.
The one I can’t cop is yesterday’s loss to Tigers. Tigers didn’t “play their absolute best”. They were terrible.
I watched the game live with a tigers mate and his words were if Tigers play like this against most other teams the game is already over, opposition puts 40 on them. With Dragons, even if they drop the ball you know they won’t punish you, they’re only a few touches away from an error themselves.
That’s the truth.
Tigers were dogshit yesterday but that was enough to beat us at home in front of a packed WIN stadium.
PATHETIC.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
One of the big issues I have with Norman along with many, is his persistent habit of running towards the player he is going to pass the ball to and just handing it to him...instead of a quick crisp pass which in turn gives that player some room to move and helps stop the victim getting smashed......also if we are to improve our performances of late we need to stop this one out running with no support play...it was glaringly obvious yesterday that NO one was interested in backing up the ball carrier...the amount of times you could have thrown a blanket over 3/4 of our team tells me that we are struggling to play 80 mins......I guess that in turn comes from poor ball handling, repeated 6 again infringements and just defending in our half for most of the game....we have injuries and suspensions thats a given but so do a lot of other teams...we are at the crossroads atm and its going to take more than just a tweak here and there to put us back on track

Hawkins

Juniors
I was so happy to see hunt back, I hope he plays for the Dragon until he is old and grey.

A couple of things here, Warriors had a perfect completion rate but they were pretty ordinary. They lacked spark and were there for the taking. We just didn’t show up that day which is disheartening considering we were at home at Kogarah.
Roosters game, whatever, the occasion got to us, I can cop that loss.
The one I can’t cop is yesterday’s loss to Tigers. Tigers didn’t “play their absolute best”. They were terrible.
I watched the game live with a tigers mate and his words were if Tigers play like this against most other teams the game is already over, opposition puts 40 on them. With Dragons, even if they drop the ball you know they won’t punish you, they’re only a few touches away from an error themselves.
That’s the truth.
Tigers were dogshit yesterday but that was enough to beat us at home in front of a packed WIN stadium.
PATHETIC.
I agree Tigers were nothing special yesterday, certainly not top 8 material. I posted before the season started that I thought Dragons to would finish between 7th and 10th. On recent performances I would place them no better than 12th or worse. One big problem is there is no bench depth and in the usual run on team only a few individuals of true first grade standard. Sadly lacking is a couple of big robust aggressive forwards who take no backward steps. Also the defensive attributes of McInnes are lacking.

ozbuck

Juniors
Undoubtedly both Mr. B’s would be hitting the roof .

That is the difference between teams that do have the ability to produce the required on field performances and those that seem to just go out and expect the performance to simply happen because they have taken the field .

I realize that you are using Souths and Melbourne as examples , however both squads are stacked with individuals who are able to turn the game on its head at any moment . The Dragons simply do not have those players , therefore only teamwork will get them over the line and nothing else .

The coach can only do so much , but once they don their jerseys and get onto the park , then it’s all up to the players . They are not teenagers playing more experienced rivals , most of the squad have been playing top grade NRL for many a season , with the core of today’s team together for quite a few seasons .

Their attitude stinks , they make the most basic mistakes that neither Bennett nor Bellamy would accept ,at those clubs they would be keelhauled for this and then thrown back into the C.Cup for a few weeks .

Time for the players to stand tall and take full responsibility for their dispirited efforts .

We have a few players who have the ability to turn a game on its head....they are just not doing it.

"The coach can only do so much... Players need to take full responsibility for their efforts".... Funny how it that narrative was the total opposite when Mary was coach. The fact the players weren't showing up 100% and giving their all was aimed at Mary not inspiring and getting the boys up for the game.

Double standards now.

If Mary was the problem the boys weren't getting up for the game in past years, people need to apply the same standards to Hook too.

40+ missed tackles and he says he can't fault his team's effort. 40+ missed tackles screams half assed effort. When players effort and commitment are 'all in' missed tackle numbers are low.

In past seasons we would have a hot start to the season and then collapse. We had a mini hot start to the season and going by the last couple of games are in free fall again. Any team in our position that was motivated and inspired would have blown away the tigers.

People think a change of coach was key. Far from it. The soft underbelly and lack of culture at the club is where systemic failure lies.

But many of those who wanted to slit the throat of mary's coaching career will look through rose coloured glasses at the new coach. I'm not saying Mary should've stayed. I'm saying double standards are alive and well, and unsuccessful times at the club and here for a long while yet because the coaching was never at the heart of our recent lack of success - it's a deeper club issue.

Captain Hook

Juniors
At the End of the day, There are 4 teams that will compete for the title Panthers,Storm, Rabbits and Roosters, Parra are the next level down. Hook cannot create miracles in his first season, he needs to slowly build his own team, hopefully that can be sooner rather than later.

possm

Coach
I can't believe those people who jumped on the "real deal" bandwagon a few weeks ago.

We are so far off being a top 4 team it's not funny. We'll be lucky to even make the 8 this year.

Absolute pretenders. All bark but no bite.

Keep buying into the illusion
Who do you think we need to get rid of?

TruSaint

Referee
I don't think anyone here claimed that we were the real deal.
I do think that we were given some hope when we went on a few wins, in particular against Parra.

However, I do agree with the OP that the coach shouldn't be protected from scrutiny. It's way too early for me to be sold on Griffin one way or the other.

How we regroup now will tell me a lot more about his man management.

Honestly, he needs to start making some big calls IMO. Some of the guys we have are just not first grade material.

Last edited:

ozbuck

Juniors
Who do you think we need to get rid of?

Ill name one: norman.

He is non threatening when running to the line. His kicking game is good, but if that's it then he is completely replaceable.

Im actually thinking that Milford would be a much better step up to replace Norman. It doesn't look like it atm with his Broncos form, but with a solid half guiding the ship he can take on more of a role he had with the broncos the year they made the grand final. His acceleration and jack out of the box nature has that game breaking nature to it. Norman just doesn't have that and hasn't had it since he came.

Gareth67

First Grade
Hate to say it but who goal kicks if Norman isn’t there?? Pretty ordinary I know to base his selection on that but we honestly have zero options. Hunt possibly but not with his leg but I can’t think of anyone else
Hate to say it but who goal kicks if Norman isn’t there?? Pretty ordinary I know to base his selection on that but we honestly have zero options. Hunt possibly but not with his leg but I can’t think of anyone else

Point taken redv13 . But surely there has to be another goal kicker in the team , no ? So it appears that there is no option available , but to have him play purely in the role of a kicker . I can only say that he is one lucky individual , such a shame that it was Lomax and not him to have the injury .

Last edited:

Crush

Coach
Point taken redv13 . But surely there has to be another goal kicker in the team , no ? So it appears that there is no option available , but to have him play purely in the role of a kicker . I can only say that he is one lucky individual , such a shame that it was Lomax and not him to have the injury .
They call Lomax the gifted one but its actually Norman who is the gifted one.
He's forged out a 10 year NRL career and barely played a good game. Now that's a gift!