What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

we are NOT the Real Deal!!

ALSGI

Bench
Today was very disappointing no doubt, a slight kick in the balls you could say, definite opportunity lost to kick away from the pack.
2 months ago before round 1 there is no way we would have thought we’d be 4-4 and 6th on the ladder but most on here are carrying on like were bottom 4 like 2019/2020. FFS people get a grip. Today we had injuries to 2 outside backs, 2nd rowers playing centre, bench rotation slaughtered due to injury etc, and spent the whole 2nd half fatigued by busting their asses to stay in the game yet people want to put the boot in. Let’s be realistic, the last 2 seasons have been dog shit but the boys dug deep all 2nd half and could have easily thrown the towel in and lost by 30. Disappointing yes but f**k me there’s plenty of sides under us with less points and much worse for and against.

Plenty were tipping us to get the spoon but 1/3 of the way through the comp and we’re going a hell of a lot better than most expected. We need to support Hook and the boys not shred them like previous seasons. Take the good with the bad, we’ll bounce back. Bring on the grubs next Sunday!
Spot on, well said.

Crush

Coach
Spot on, well said.
Mate I can’t agree.
4/4 and 6th doesn’t paint the true picture.
We were 4/1 a few weeks back!
Losing at home to Warriors and Tigers shows me that we are not in a good place at all.
And it’s easy to say bring on the grubs we will bounce back but that’s what we said before Tigers.
I’ll admit that I know nothing about footy form. I said before the season spoon. I said after round 5 top 4. Yep, I am an idiot and wear my heart on my sleeve. A passionate fool.
But I cannot for the life of me understand yesterdays performance.
I’m just scratching my head.
Tigers were horrible yesterday and them only scoring 16 points and not 30 has nothing to do with our defence, it was more their attack, or lack there of.
Gutted.

redv13

Bench
Mate I can’t agree.
4/4 and 6th doesn’t paint the true picture.
We were 4/1 a few weeks back!
Losing at home to Warriors and Tigers shows me that we are not in a good place at all.
And it’s easy to say bring on the grubs we will bounce back but that’s what we said before Tigers.
I’ll admit that I know nothing about footy form. I said before the season spoon. I said after round 5 top 4. Yep, I am an idiot and wear my heart on my sleeve. A passionate fool.
But I cannot for the life of me understand yesterdays performance.
I’m just scratching my head.
Tigers were horrible yesterday and them only scoring 16 points and not 30 has nothing to do with our defence, it was more their attack, or lack there of.
Gutted.
We are nowhere near a top 4 team and I guarantee you were are not a wooden spoon team. We fall somewhere between 6-12. Yesterday in the first 25 mins the tigers were up for the game and Saints more than matched their intensity. Unfortunately we started the 2nd half poorly and we’re on the back foot the whole 40. 3 big moments went against them:
1: The pass from Doueihi to Laurie was 1 metre forward easily. Dufty makes the 1 on 1 tackle then next play they score off a kick.
2: Burns cut down by Cini when the fullback was beat. Definite try saver.
3: Laurie getting out of his in goal area and a penalty blown for a supposed push back into the in goal area. That play was absolutely huge when the game was in the balance and Saints were coming home.

Crush

Coach
We are nowhere near a top 4 team and I guarantee you were are not a wooden spoon team. We fall somewhere between 6-12. Yesterday in the first 25 mins the tigers were up for the game and Saints more than matched their intensity. Unfortunately we started the 2nd half poorly and we’re on the back foot the whole 40. 3 big moments went against them:
1: The pass from Doueihi to Laurie was 1 metre forward easily. Dufty makes the 1 on 1 tackle then next play they score off a kick.
2: Burns cut down by Cini when the fullback was beat. Definite try saver.
3: Laurie getting out of his in goal area and a penalty blown for a supposed push back into the in goal area. That play was absolutely huge when the game was in the balance and Saints were coming home.
47 mis tackles vs tigers 13
1 line break vs tigers 7
67% completion rate vs tigers 84%
Pretty damning stats vs a team that was 1/6 before kickoff.
At WIN stadium.....

redv13

Bench
47 mis tackles vs tigers 13
1 line break vs tigers 7
67% completion rate vs tigers 84%
Pretty damning stats vs a team that was 1/6 before kickoff.
At WIN stadium.....
Agree, yesterday’s performance was the worst by far this season and 100 % not acceptable but I don’t think it’s season over just yet. The boys are in a hole but let’s hope they find their way out soon

Mickthedragon

Juniors
I was tempted to believe this thread when reading it a few weeks back but remained hesitant cause it was only early in the season.
Teams like ours can have a few good weeks but never sustain it like the top clubs.
We don't have the cattle and this season will most probably be just a fraction better than last in terms of ladder position and looks to be a real struggle to make the 8 yet again, unfortunately.

Gareth67

First Grade
At the end of the day it was disappointing to lose the match , perhaps more so for those of us who do wear our hearts on our sleeves .

But after reading the comments by those who looked at the game somewhat more clearly - and I don’t say that to disrespect anyone - there were reasons that certainly did affect our overall performance on the day . Injuries in key positions , with their replacements actually playing out of their normal positions to fill the gaps .

The lack of quality reserves has and will continue to impact the team as the season progresses . As pointed out by some the top teams have these replacements in abundance , but alas not here at the Dragons . All is not lost however , if they are able to return to their early season form then at least they will be able to give a far better account of themselves .

Finally we knew that this first season under a new coach would be a tough one , he had / has to clear their minds of the accumulated brain wax of the Mary years - a tough ask for any coach . The boys need to regroup and set a goal for themselves and as a team , that being to get as far as possible this year . Their attitude should be to strive for the impossible , not merely accept mediocrity .

Last edited:

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I started that thread based on the performance that we put on against The Eels after being in the wilderness for years....it was meant to give hope to many of our supporters including myself...If you cared to dissect it you would have noticed that I never insinuated that we were a top 4 or 5 team and never indicated that we would be finals bound.....I simply stated and I will repeat again just for you that based on our performance particularly in the first half against Parra that if we could repeat that performance no team would hold any fears for us.....The Real Deal was to highlight that based on the performances at that time we were a more competitive outfit than I had seen for many years.....you can be the real deal purely for the fact that at the time we wernt the easy beats that everyone has become to expect of us and looked a more polished, competative, united and happy outfit.
Unfortunately because of the last 3 games we have taken a huge step backwards and a lot of the blame must go to the players for their inept performances in particular against The Tigers yesterday.....and for our new coach that imo has not had the players primed and ready it appeared on game day.
You also seemed focussed on your repeated comments to everyone on here re if McGregor was in charge still that we would be highly critical of him and yet are prepared to ignore Hooks failures of late.....that my friend is rubbish....I can assure you if he doesnt get results then in time he will be criticised as well...we are in a rebuilding phase under a new coach and unfortunately a lot of water has gone under the bridge and it will take time.... what you are failing to grasp is the difference between McGregor and Griffin is one had been here for 7 years the others been here for 7 months....

blacksafake

First Grade
I started that thread based on the performance that we put on against The Eels after being in the wilderness for years....it was meant to give hope to many of our supporters including myself...If you cared to dissect it you would have noticed that I never insinuated that we were a top 4 or 5 team and never indicated that we would be finals bound.....I simply stated and I will repeat again just for you that based on our performance particularly in the first half against Parra that if we could repeat that performance no team would hold any fears for us.....The Real Deal was to highlight that based on the performances at that time we were a more competitive outfit than I had seen for many years.....you can be the real deal purely for the fact that at the time we wernt the easy beats that everyone has become to expect of us and looked a more polished, competative, united and happy outfit.
Unfortunately because of the last 3 games we have taken a huge step backwards and a lot of the blame must go to the players for their inept performances in particular against The Tigers yesterday.....and for our new coach that imo has not had the players primed and ready it appeared on game day.
You also seemed focussed on your repeated comments to everyone on here re if McGregor was in charge still that we would be highly critical of him and yet are prepared to ignore Hooks failures of late.....that my friend is rubbish....I can assure you if he doesnt get results then in time he will be criticised as well...we are in a rebuilding phase under a new coach and unfortunately a lot of water has gone under the bridge and it will take time.... what you are failing to grasp is the difference between McGregor and Griffin is one had been here for 7 years the others been here for 7 months....
Well said mate.:thumbsup:

I'm not sure how many other supporters are like me but here it goes.
I have been and always will be a "Saints/ Dragons" supporter (but Saints really).
I have never tipped against us in any tipping comp yet.
I never believe were going to lose a game.I always think we will win.
Every year I believe we are the real deal-never thought any different
Every year I always believe "this year will be it"-were going to do well
I always know when i go to Kogarah that its our home and were going to thrash the opposition.

Up till recently this wasnt such a hard ask. Now the Scum share our ground, our home ground advantage is mostly gone since we rarely train there. The players who used to dream of playing for St George now seem to be not so particular about who they play for, but more for how much they play for. The St George I remember doesnt seem to exist anymore. I know things change but damn it- I always want us to do well-I dont care about the rest-none of them have won 11 in a row.
I'll always believe we can win-but please fellas-how about trying a bit harder when you have that magic Red V jumper on.It means a lot to a lot of people

thebigredv

First Grade
I'm not sure how many other supporters are like me but here it goes.
I have been and always will be a "Saints/ Dragons" supporter (but Saints really).
I have never tipped against us in any tipping comp yet.
I never believe were going to lose a game.I always think we will win.
Every year I believe we are the real deal-never thought any different
Every year I always believe "this year will be it"-were going to do well
I always know when i go to Kogarah that its our home and were going to thrash the opposition.

Up till recently this wasnt such a hard ask. Now the Scum share our ground, our home ground advantage is mostly gone since we rarely train there. The players who used to dream of playing for St George now seem to be not so particular about who they play for, but more for how much they play for. The St George I remember doesnt seem to exist anymore. I know things change but damn it- I always want us to do well-I dont care about the rest-none of them have won 11 in a row.
I'll always believe we can win-but please fellas-how about trying a bit harder when you have that magic Red V jumper on.It means a lot to a lot of people

St George is dead. We are a soulless club, and generally yes players could take or leave us. I'm basing that on the way we are managed and the way our players fold on the field - mediocre and contently so.

I was like you but about 7 years ago I stopped believing we could win every game. There was an overwhelming aura from the club that we had peaked and could bask in the premiership for a few years, which has now became a decade. Look what Easts have done as a club since that grand final, comes full circle with Brett Morris saying he practically owes it all to the Roosters.

We gave up on excellence and we have lost our identity completely. There's nothing special about the club and the bulk of the players don't realise how lucky they are to wear that red v. It's been so horribly cheapened. Our stats are tragic but not as tragic as the supporters that still remember the importance of what it is to be a Dragon.

Warabrook saint

Juniors
How anyone can support mary in any form after what he put this club through and the way he behaved for 7 years I'll never believe. That goes for the ones that enabled him to feel entitled too.....the management

To be honest, none of us over at the Tigers were convinced that you had anything other than a shocker with more than your fair share of bad luck thrown in.

The sgi kid at work said it was one of the worse games he’d seen full stop.

325E6307-3D91-45F2-B040-DD71D423FA1B.jpeg
This shot is from “Ralph” my tiger friend. He’s been so upset with the side, it’s taken him days to call me.

A few of us have been wanting to see Cini for ages, he had a great debut. Gaol mullet no golden boy Sam Walker image. Smug junior.

It’s still early days post-Mary. It was one of those games, I still think you’ll be ok.

You’re still on holidays compared to the shiz we see every week. I’ve rarely seen an unluckier game. Like Satan had spirited his way into your locker room during half time.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
I was tempted to believe this thread when reading it a few weeks back but remained hesitant cause it was only early in the season.
Teams like ours can have a few good weeks but never sustain it like the top clubs.
We don't have the cattle and this season will most probably be just a fraction better than last in terms of ladder position and looks to be a real struggle to make the 8 yet again, unfortunately.
All I can say is to cast your mind back to when you played rugby league and maybe you will remember a time when you had some weak forwards who weren't capable of getting on top or maybe a weak winger or fullback who could not defend and so no matter how hard you tried, it was a lost cause.

I have said in another thread that there is not that much wrong with our top 17 although we have little depth and that will take some time to rectify. I belive a top grade fullback such as Ponga, B Smith at hooker and a top grade prop are the only players we need to recruit to make our 17 a top 4 contender. We have the other 14 players that can do the job.
1. Ponga
2. Ramsey
3. Max Feagai
4. Lomax
5. Ravalawa
6. Sullivan
7. Hunt
8. New prop
9. B Smith
10. Vaughan
11. Burns
12. Bird
13. De Belin
14. Lawrie
15. Molo
16. McGuire
17. McCullough

With just 3 new recruits and the promotion of Max Feagai to left centre and Sullivan to five-eighth, we have all we need to be a top 4 team. This in itself is not a big cleanout of players but a regular annual adjustment that would happen at most clubs each season.

The big cleanout will all be about having suitable depth. Most off-contract should not be re-signed and instead where possible our local juniors should fill the majority of positions in reserve grade. Although right now we are short of junior forwards and so our recruitment focus in reserve grade should be on signing capable forwards.

I think we should let go:
Dufty, Pereira, Norman, Alvara, Sims and Elliot. The salary cap saved by letting these players go will more than fund our 3 new recruts and some depth in the reserve grade forward stocks.

Having four forwards on the bench will help the team to cope in the engine room. With Burns and Bird in the run-on 13, we will have the flexibility to cope if a back is injured. Ponga and Lomax can kick goals. Bird, Hunt, Sullivan and Ponga can kick in general play. I'd like to see Soward spend a lot of time with Lomax to upgrade his kicking skills in general play.

If Griffin can get the above 17 firing on all cylinders, I think most Dragon's fans could finally believe we have turned the corner and are genuine top 4 contenders.

Latest posts