What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refereeing The Magic Round sin bin directive

Saxon

Bench
I put the blame squarely on Hollywood Harrigan's shoulders.
He turned the 5m into an 8m.
He stopped penalising teams to "keep the game flowing".
He gave leg ups to teams behind in contests to "keep it interesting".
He stopped using the bin and the send off, and we started putting people on report "to keep the numbers equal".
Pundits like Gould praised him as the gold standard as shoulder charges to the head crept higher and higher.

Now we have no shoulder charges.
Now we have a generation of refs who have ignored the rule-book.
Now we have the consequences of legal action.

f**k Bill Harrigan the weaselly Super League pinup merkin.
Not just Hollywood, but the entire NRL management.
Most of the issues with the game could have been easily controlled by the refs.
Offside? Penalise!
High tackle? Penalise!
Pressure on the neck? Penalise!

An example is third man into the tackle. When a guy is held, call it earlier and penalise if he is then thrown to the ground. The moment "held" is called, any contact from another defender is penalised.

But no, the NRL decided to allow the game to "flow" and built a rod for it's own back.

I should also mention here the greatest villain of the piece; Phil Gould in particular and channel Nein commentators in general. Their constant bagging of the refs for any attempt to control the game by penalising foul play or rule breaking. A few years ago, the League decided to apply the offside, PTB and holding in tackle rules. Penalties increased significantly, but the game was cleaning up. Gus and Joey have a whine about "ruining the game" and Greenburg threw the refs under the buss. Next week we were back to the same old shambles.

Last edited:

Saxon

Bench
Magic Round.

Behold - Rugby League.

The NRL waves it's wand. Abracadabra. *Puff of smoke*

And now we have Touch Football.

franklin2323

Immortal
Im all for doing what we can to protect players from head injury. But, this head protection sin binning directive has been absolutely crazy. It has destroyed two games this round already.

I'd even be okay with the guys making contact to the head to have some time off the game.....but don't destroy the contest that the crowd and television audience pay for and hope to see.

Lets hope this directive is knocked in the head after tonight.

No way it is in place for Origin. Stupid rule and fails to allow accidents in the game

Gambles binning was weak, but they should’ve had someone go well before that for repeat infringements.

Riki shouldn’t have been sin binned, headbutt straight send off imo.

I thought it was an attempted headbutt from watching it live tbh. Certainly the Manly players thought so too. It was just that it was a poor attempt that made it looked soft.

franklin2323

Immortal
Can't agree more. Especially about my team playing like a bunch of mongoloid merkin shitbags.

My team is good and still over the past few years watch it less then say 10 years.

Wrestle made it horrible to watch
Rules came in for the main improved it but some terrible teams for various reasons. I now watch more neutral games

That said I turned off last night. Going back 5 tackles to penalise an accident, unless someone is hurt no need to go back that far.

Was too stop start defeats the purpose.

It isn't like the game was full of dog shots before the changes

My team is good and still over the past few years watch it less then say 10 years.

Wrestle made it horrible to watch
Rules came in for the main improved it but some terrible teams for various reasons. I now watch more neutral games

That said I turned off last night. Going back 5 tackles to penalise an accident, unless someone is hurt no need to go back that far.

Was too stop start defeats the purpose.

It isn't like the game was full of dog shots before the changes

I think we’ll probably see even more players staying down feigning injury. I get your sentiment, though.

kit66

Bench
It's the Magic Round, Bullwinkle style. " watch me pull a sin-bin outta my ass ".

Are they deliberately trying to sabotage the game. V'landys and News Ltd seem to go out of their way to drag the game down and drive away the fans. It's literally becoming unwatchable on TV, I'm finding it hard to sit through a whole game. The quality of games has nosedived and the new rules, 6 agains, bunker reviews and overturning tries, Captains fkng Challenge and sin bin everything bs are turning me off the game I've loved for 60 years. I don't get it.

mxlegend99

Referee
My problem with the Gamble sin bin is that I reckon that clearly wasn't a sin bin but I reckon he's a twat and him getting unjustly sin binned is funny.
Even a penalty for that would be harsh. But a sin bin is f**ked.

Even seeing players or teams I dislike copping it pisses me off. It's clearly going to happen too all teams and could very well decide the result of a few games.

Eelectrica

Referee
PVL has a duty of care to the people who pay their money and want to see a good game. We want to see the best players playing.

We don't jail drivers for going 65 in a 60 zone. That's pretty much what those sin binnings were the equivalent of last night.

Unless PVL thinks the players are actual psychopaths intent on injurying the opposition players then dial the crack down back.
Yes we need concussion rules and all that, but it's still a physical game so accidents are going to happen. About 98% of tackles made are fine. We don't have a problem.
Severely punish any intentional harm, like a king hit or something, sure. Not this.

His job is get the trains running on time which he did with covid and the TV deals, not drive the train off a cliff which is pretty much what's happening now.

Mr. Shaman

First Grade
Eh Gamble (or someone else deserved to go), there was like 4 straight pens and a bunch of set restarts in their own 20 in a row leading up to it. Milford even gave away 2 set restarts in 2 tackles within 2m of the tryline.

Agree the tackle itself wasn’t worth a bin, though.

Latest posts