What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wine thread

horrie hastings

First Grade
Think i still have a head ache from the house Pinot Gris i had at the Engadine Tavern last Saturday, probably wasn't a bad Pinot Gris, i think it was more the amount i consumed, can't even remember the name of it, pretty unmemorable just like the Engadine Tavern on a Saturday night.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Hahah well timed quoting..

2003 Meursault, Domaine Dujac. The wine I was most worried about but it was immaculate. Gorgeous, cashew and fig and butter and great acid. Beautiful rich burgundy chardy

2003 Mt Pleasant Lovedale Semillon. Again, held up amazing. Lemon butter, salt water, Kaffir lime, brioche. Would deadset go ten years more .

2011 Grosset Polish Hill. Kaffir lime, honeysuckle, orange blossom, earl grey tea. Acid still high in a good way.

2006 Mt Pleasant Elizabeth semillon. Random pick for comparison. Surprisingly great, all orange blossom and light honey, a little lime. Shockingly good for a $12 but I kept for curiousity

2003 Dujac Clos Saint-Denis.....Tune in tomorrow

The 2003 has another 10 years at least. I've tasted a 2012 not long ago and it was almost like it hadn't aged at all. They're ridiculously good wines.

The 2006 Elizabeth's all had Lovedale fruit blended in as they were limiting Lovedale at the time. So the $12 tag is insane for what it made up.

Phil Ryan was a basket case of a winemaker, but McWilliams were f**king nuts and never worked out how to get their entry Mt Pleasant selling above $15 (when it stacked up to $25 at times).

I imagine the Grosset would have gone longer too.

Bazal

Post Whore
The 2003 has another 10 years at least. I've tasted a 2012 not long ago and it was almost like it hadn't aged at all. They're ridiculously good wines.

The 2006 Elizabeth's all had Lovedale fruit blended in as they were limiting Lovedale at the time. So the $12 tag is insane for what it made up.

Phil Ryan was a basket case of a winemaker, but McWilliams were f**king nuts and never worked out how to get their entry Mt Pleasant selling above $15 (when it stacked up to $25 at times).

I imagine the Grosset would have gone longer too.

Yeah I have two more Grosset plus a 2010 and some later models.

The Lovedale I got as an "aged" wine in a batch thing, so I was never that sure of the provenance and honestly should have probs drunk it before now. But I got lucky.

Incidentally that's also how I got the Clos Saint-Denis...which was amazing. Big powerful burgundy with loads of truffle and cherry. Obviously way more to it than that but I'm not sure I'd do it justice

Slightly on the oxidizing side? So probably a good thing we drank it cos I doubt I'd have pulled it out for another 12 months plus otherwise

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Yeah I have two more Grosset plus a 2010 and some later models.

The Lovedale I got as an "aged" wine in a batch thing, so I was never that sure of the provenance and honestly should have probs drunk it before now. But I got lucky.

Incidentally that's also how I got the Clos Saint-Denis...which was amazing. Big powerful burgundy with loads of truffle and cherry. Obviously way more to it than that but I'm not sure I'd do it justice

Slightly on the oxidizing side? So probably a good thing we drank it cos I doubt I'd have pulled it out for another 12 months plus otherwise

The Clos or the Lovedale?

Lovedale under stelvin should be a 20+ prospect.

Bazal

Post Whore
Cork I understand. Perfectly reasonable.

Plus my record keeping hasn't always been great especially with single bottles?

Like for eg I got a lot of stuff from VC Manuka when they told them they couldn't use the downstairs basement to cellar wine anymore. Obviously that was a great environment, a 1900s cellar (although I'd still err on drinking younger given a good chunk of that was bought from the public, which VC used to do.)

On the flip side I've also got stuff from, for eg, some of the old Supabarn stores that were bought by Coles, where a lot of it was kept in a partitioned area of the back dock for years.

So there's a bit of wine there I just can't tell the provenance of

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Plus my record keeping hasn't always been great especially with single bottles?

Like for eg I got a lot of stuff from VC Manuka when they told them they couldn't use the downstairs basement to cellar wine anymore. Obviously that was a great environment, a 1900s cellar (although I'd still err on drinking younger given a good chunk of that was bought from the public, which VC used to do.)

On the flip side I've also got stuff from, for eg, some of the old Supabarn stores that were bought by Coles, where a lot of it was kept in a partitioned area of the back dock for years.

So there's a bit of wine there I just can't tell the provenance of

You're right. It's a horrible problem. I'm happy to solve it for you and just drink all your wine and tell you whether it was any good?

horrie hastings

First Grade
Coldstream Hills 2019 Chardonnay.
Two cases came into work today and it wasn’t on file so manager said clear it out for $5 a bottle, it’s now in my spare room ready to consume at my leisure :D

horrie hastings

First Grade
The nero goes ok.

I Am George is tired.
The Nero is on the bottom shelf so hasn't moved at all. Found another bottle of the Brave New World Shiraz Sangiovese so it came home. Interesting we had Georgie Orbach rose at $5 for ages, it sat on the bottom shelf and no one looked at it, we had another full case in the store room so i put on the first front end with the $6 specials last week, tepid response, sold a few but of yesterday had 13 bottles left so i put them on the front counter with the A4 $5 sign and they were gone in under half an hour. Tempted to grab a bottle or two of the Nero just to try but not back to work till Tuesday, so if any left i will grab it but not making a special trip back to work to grab it.

Bazal

Post Whore
Had a few goodies tonight at a party (and now home watching the Eels game I IQ'd)

Tertini Prosecco (I think 2019), Southern Highlands. Real good, green apple and pear, very proper Italian style, dry and clean.

Tertini Tempranillo (NFI vintage). Also Southern Highlands. Gorgeous. All big ripe cherries, touch of cola and anise. Ridiculously great drinking wine. Tertini are my second fave Southern Highlands winery after Artemis, this is in their general range and I'd struggle to find an easier drinking red.

Brokenwood Four Winds Vineyard Canberra Shiraz 2014 (one of my contributions). I know and love Four Winds, they have a spectacular site in Murrumbateman just up the road from Clonakilla. Obviously Brokenwood are great. The combination is excellent. Sappy red berries, game meat and green pepper, but the order of it in the mouth feels like a Hunter wine.

Clynelish 14 YO scotch (my other contribution). Yeah there's a spirit thread but I just saw this is on a Members Deal for $92 at Uncle Dans and f**k me if that's not an outstanding buy. Tastes like heather honey & vanilla creme, but with a Highlands roughness that I kinda like.

Domaine Montvac Gigondas 2012. Just cos I wanted to kick on while watching Parra. I got this stuff at Costco for $20. I should have bought 83 dozen. Good vintage, my favourite French appellation on balance, and it's a good one too. I get black olive first, then cherries, plum, a little gamey pancetta deal and then thyme. and wet stone. But with an overarching sweetness. Ridiculous for $20

horrie hastings

First Grade
More Liqourland $5 clearances

Gravel Track Montepulciano.​

Peter Lehmann Futures Shiraz.

Annie's Lane Chardonnay although on line it still has it listed as $12.

Nealo 12

Bench
Tonight having a bottle of Lakes Folly 2016 Cabernet , bought 2 cases back in 2017 been in the wine fridge since , celebrating another week of lockdown, thought I would treat myself tonight. Wife making Lasagna probably not the best mix but hey it’s a new world

Bazal

Post Whore
Anyone purchase wines through online auctions? If so which one(s) do you use?

Very rarely. But that's mostly cos I struggle to justify cases of wine still given my collection/lack of space? Haha

I've only really ever used Langtons personally. For auctions anyway, I've picked up some batch buys elsewhere but that's not really auction

Latest posts