What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mighty pennies v the tigpies

The_Frog

First Grade
Locky was a very poor defender, Tony Carroll made a whole career out of protecting him
This was the perception, but the truth was he was a good tackler, but he was slight in build and if he used his energy in defence he wasn't anything like the same threat in attack. Thus Tonie Carroll to do his defence for him. This won the Broncos their last premiership in '06. The point being blokes who make 44 tackles should not be expected to be scintillating in attack. The question that needs asking is why May had to make so many tackles, where were the forwards protecting him?

chrisD

Coach
I don't think May is good enough to be a starting half in the NRL, but I think he's probably fine for a back up if everyone else, particularly Api, isn't missing. Problem is he's pretty bad in contact, and really bench utilities end up getting thrown into the backrow somewhere. I wouldn't have Kenny in there over him because I don't think offers much at all. We really don't need another forward or tackling machine on the bench, and any utility is going to come with serious limitations, or they would be in a defined role and not a utility.

Fangs

Coach
Don't see a replacement for May. Definately our 14. But he isn't having a good year. Pressure will be on to keep his spot in the team beyond 2021. Especially with the success we are having in NSW cup.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Don't see a replacement for May. Definately our 14. But he isn't having a good year. Pressure will be on to keep his spot in the team beyond 2021. Especially with the success we are having in NSW cup.
With Burton, Critter, Capewell in the side we don't need a utility

franklin2323

Immortal

This is how I see it. He wouldn't be in my 17 but it would take both Burton and Kenny on the bench. Ivan likes the extra middle which leaves May as the option

Black Diamond

Juniors
While we played terrible we weren't that far off. That is with a very young side

Look at their tries

1st try was a poor read by Sorensen and May
2nd the 90m kick return
Penalty try
Then just tired at the end

We bombed a few too.

We should of given those halves a run together in NSW Cup last week. Then they wouldn't of been so horriblr
Should have given Falls a shot

Abacus

Juniors
Where did say he would be? So many teams lose a guy to HIA or something and struggle. He slots in doesn't carve up is just solid.

Round 1 Api is off at halftime - he slots in
Round 3 Edwards off - he slots in
Bathurst Capewell off with the ribs - he slots in

It allows the rest of the bench to do their normal rotations. Find me someone else in the squad that does that and I will happily see him out of the 17.

Burton looked most likely for that role but seems to be set at centre now
Except when there's no injuries, the coach manufactures minutes for him in a role where he adds no value. They need to figure out where he should be playing him & leave him there. If 14 is his best role, pick him at 14 and if there's no reason to bring him on, don't. Sure as shit don't put him at halfback - pick an actual halfback.

chrisD

Coach
Can't blame the forwards, Tiger's discipline did most their job and Fish was determined to do everything else. We had enough attacking ball, just our attack was junk and overly side to side. On the left Burton just shoveled it to Kikau early all night, the defence had him coming from a mile away and prepared and tackled. On the right it was out the back, but because the movement was so clunky the Tigers always had the numbers comfortably, and after giving it to Edwards with nowhere to go a few times and getting Momo hit once May started to doubt throwing the pass and it broke down and looked really ugly.

franklin2323

Immortal
Except when there's no injuries, the coach manufactures minutes for him in a role where he adds no value. They need to figure out where he should be playing him & leave him there. If 14 is his best role, pick him at 14 and if there's no reason to bring him on, don't. Sure as shit don't put him at halfback - pick an actual halfback.

He gives Yeo a stint. Playing the 1st reciever role that Yeo does well.

Like who? The result doesn't change with someone else there. Like Salmon or Falls doesn't make 44 tackles. So what gains in attack we'd lose the other end of the ball.

Just sliding Cleary in that situation even doesn't improve it.

We were kicking from our own 30m line the whole game. Really missed To'o early runs to get the sets going.

Yeo does alot of 1st reciever stuff. Which gives the halves time and space.

Of course the ordinary dummy half service. Just a poor game all round and hard to blame any individual.

Ivan isn't a very good coach and didn't change the game plan enough last night

Latest posts