What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

Dragsters

First Grade
Norman is next on the list for the tap. The coach needed a good look as he impressed 99% in pre-season, as you do playing for contract.
His only blooper was going out straight after returning from boot camp after few days of deprived sleep and got into trouble...even if he was not to blame for the fight, not the smartest choice.
My opinion is the coach has now had long enough to look at him and by all accounts he too may be a victim of the club paperless printer.
Why is he still in the squad?.. same as Duff, best reliable (for want of a better word) option currently at this very time. Bud injured has played a big part in hindering his development this year and Amone?..not ready to make it his own?, or is he a 13?
I dont see Amone as 13 as others are stating. I see the future as Bud & Amone as 7 & 6.

2022..I hope I am right as it will be the picture emerging of our future and changing of the guard (spine)

As a tragic, I too am salivating at the prospect of a Bud/Junior halves combo, though I reckon it might be Hunt/Bud for a couple of seasons at least, which is equally as intriguing...

rasaint

Juniors
I read this thread with continued interest that ‘Bud and Junior’ by the end of season and are the next big things with Sloan at the back ..we are salivating. Schiller also in the mix. Impressed with Feagai brothers. Give Cody more time blah blah. I hope it all happens because it appears that the one player who scores trys and sets up trys with sublime passing game is leaving. However, don’t hold your breath too long for this new era …you might turn blue fast.

Actually, it sounds like Zac then gifted one Lomax ( now in his 4th NRL season and 45 NRL games ) and how he is somehow about to attain the long predicted world beater status not the demonstrated unremarkable standard player who can kick goals.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Interesting comments from Sticky in his presser re: Simmonson at fullback after their win tonight, basically saying it was his position to lose. Of course there's a long way to go in this season, however, given this statement, there seems no urgency in signing Dufty. There's also the reports that the Broncos have pulled their interest in him.

So, where does that leave Dufty?

No real other interest from the other NRL clubs, so maybe ESL? Or, is there still a chance Hook is holding a serious hand of poker, and doing an Bennet with AJ? Personally, I don't think so, but, I've been wrong many times.

Now, is the time to wait, wait and see if Dufty can produce the same game as last week, week in, week out, and against the competition heavyweights. He's set his own bar now and failure to reach those heights consistantly, will only fuel more of the departure stories. And let's not kid ourselves here, journos frequent our forum more times than they probably change their underwear, as we are the most active brand on LU.

Big game for Duff this Monday in more ways than one.

Dragon Blood

Juniors
It's a hatchet job mate. What a disgraceful article.

Fullbacks are responsible when forwards miss tackles? How can anyone with an ounce of football knowledge read past that?

It's beyond ridiculous now.
Talk about a character assassination.
- Dufty was the "cause" of all Bronco's tries? Yeah right.
- Defensive issues under a number of coaches? How about under one perennially useless coach.
- Dufty isn't Tedesco, Trjbojevic or Gutherson? Fair enough, but then
- we don't want to spend more than $500k on a fullback. Hello? Anyone home? Tedesco/Turbo/Gutho and $500k are mutually exclusive.
- Dufty isn't great at defusing kicks? OK, but turns out he isn't the worst either. Maybe we should make a play for Isaako who has a 7.3% better success rate at kick defusal.
- Hasn't had success at the Dragons in the last five years? How on earth is that Dufty's fault? You may as well sack the entire side based on that logic.
- Attitude? Raises this as an issue then makes the point that this is based solely on speculation.

I sincerely hope the Dragons didn't feed this drivel to Chammas.

I agree with both Willow and JMJ's post's, very poor form on behalf of Chammas whom from memory claims he is a Dragons supporter.

I'm no legal eagle, but to write such a scathing article in a publicly available printed newspaper of a personal attack on an individual would be bordering on defamation?

Would Dufty have any legal recourse against Chammas and his employer?

I remember a few years back the Aussie actress Rebel Wilson sued one of those trashy magazines for printing crap about her that eventually lost her heaps of income in movie work etc.

That same precedent could potentially apply with the Chammas article perhaps? I'm sure the article would have had to be OK'd first by the SMH legal team before it went to print and online, but still????

I would genuinely like to know if there is any lawyer members?

Dragsters

First Grade
Interesting comments from Sticky in his presser re: Simmonson at fullback after their win tonight, basically saying it was his position to lose. Of course there's a long way to go in this season, however, given this statement, there seems no urgency in signing Dufty. There's also the reports that the Broncos have pulled their interest in him.

So, where does that leave Dufty?

No real other interest from the other NRL clubs, so maybe ESL? Or, is there still a chance Hook is holding a serious hand of poker, and doing an Bennet with AJ? Personally, I don't think so, but, I've been wrong many times.

Now, is the time to wait, wait and see if Dufty can produce the same game as last week, week in, week out, and against the competition heavyweights. He's set his own bar now and failure to reach those heights consistantly, will only fuel more of the departure stories. And let's not kid ourselves here, journos frequent our forum more times than they probably change their underwear, as we are the most active brand on LU.

Big game for Duff this Monday in more ways than one.

Sticky's comments are interesting, Simmonson was decent, so let's see how that one pans out.

Indeed, its clear the hacks all hang in here and sometimes scribe comments from posters almost verbatim.

I for one hopes Dufty's form continues, both for the Dragons fortunes and his own and if indeed it does, then perhaps they can still be one and the same...

since77

Juniors
I read this thread with continued interest that ‘Bud and Junior’ by the end of season and are the next big things with Sloan at the back ..we are salivating. Schiller also in the mix. Impressed with Feagai brothers. Give Cody more time blah blah. I hope it all happens because it appears that the one player who scores trys and sets up trys with sublime passing game is leaving. However, don’t hold your breath too long for this new era …you might turn blue fast.

Actually, it sounds like Zac then gifted one Lomax ( now in his 4th NRL season and 45 NRL games ) and how he is somehow about to attain the long predicted world beater status not the demonstrated unremarkable standard player who can kick goals.
Geez you’re almost as bad as our old buddy on here who loves Aitken and hates Lomax. This would be the same Lomax who has played less games than Dufty but was selected in the NSW squad last year? I can guarantee if Zac was to put himself on the open market he’d have quite a few teams lining up to sign him whereas it seems Dufty has a grand total of maybe…….one. I have a soft spot for the Duffman and it will be sad to see him leave but to suggest his overall talent and potential is anywhere near Lomax’s suggests you need to go back and watch more football.

BLM01

First Grade
Griffin has been in charge for less than half a season....With all due respect, even Wayne Bennett or a Bellamy couldn't turn things around as fast as you and many others are expecting.....

McGregor and Price were in charge for 9 years....How about giving Griffin at least 2 years to undo the mess before expecting to see massive change....

Go back and have a look at some of our games from the previous years... people have short memories....

Without going into detail, things are different re recruitment....we no longer pay Top dollar/overs like we did in the past...that is why things can change re recruitment... Griffin is a smart operator.... not my opinion....from a solid source ...Will not pay overs...currently McGuire and others are being subsidized by their former clubs.....I will leave it at that...

People need to give the guy a chance....Our squad was always weak in depth this year thanks to you know who....Rome wasn't built in a day....

P.S Re Ramsey not grabbing his opportunity @ Fullback...How many games has he played there in the Top Grade....2 ? Its definitely less than 4... Your comments are not factual...as to what I know or don't...maybe go back and look @ some of the things I quoted...Re Host , McGregor extension etc

Your comments are based on your obvious passion for our club and what we all want to see happen...which is eventual success.

I am in total agreement with you on this...we all want success....lets just give the coach and current staff our support for at least until halfway through next year...surely that's more than fair.
Well said Max. 😉. In response to question re Ramsey, excluding trials 1.5

BLM01

First Grade
I agree with both Willow and JMJ's post's, very poor form on behalf of Chammas whom from memory claims he is a Dragons supporter.

I'm no legal eagle, but to write such a scathing article in a publicly available printed newspaper of a personal attack on an individual would be bordering on defamation?

I remember a few years back the Aussie actress Rebel Wilson sued one of those trashy magazines for printing crap about her that eventually lost her heaps of income in movie work etc.

That same precedent could potentially apply with the Chammas article perhaps? I'm sure the article would have had to be OK'd first by the SMH legal team before it went to print and online, but still????

That is the very problem with today right there. Wheres the lawyers!..fed dinkum.
Supporters, forum members and anyone on social media say similar things about someones ability or deficiencies at sport, whats the difference?..both in the public domain
but leave the lawyers just to where they are really needed

People were screaming for answers especially commentators, 11,000 petition signatures and media, especially after GUS not once, not twice but 3 seperate occassions hints and lays the bait that it is not football related.
Now they got the answers which has quietened things down.....via the media

Yeh the media does what the media does and probably went into too much detail, blow things out of proportion with adjectives, alarming headline points etc
It highlights perceived football related deficiencies thats all, agree with it or not or the way it was done.

But no personal character assassination that is not football related. Even Point 6 "Attitude"
if you absorb the whole lot is responding to criticism to improve his game..
but as usual the catch phrase "heading" was the worst part about it

Many players poor form or deficiencies are highlighted by commentators in the media
(e.g. Milford who is also off contract)
from time to time which does not sound good especially when playing for a contract

I 100% agree it was too much written on 1 player and clutching on tries where he may of have been out of position, not done his job etc., but I think the points are valid and I wanted the Duff only 1 or 2 years ago to succeed and asked he be given more time when he was kicked from pillar to post by some on this very forum

Every try in the NRL you could find someone to highlight who missed his cue
But the loudness of this article was to match what came from the other point of view opposing the decision.
The supposed 11,000 petition signatures, from god knows who..
Not that in these circumstances will change anything

Lets see who signs Matt if Canberra dont (reportedly only potential club) and for how much, or are others obviously maybe watching and waiting for his price tag to drop and then pounce.?..
Let see if our memberships plummet in 2022 because of it
Lets see how we go without him as obviously after that article we have well and truly shut the door on any about face

Last edited:

rasaint

Juniors
Hi Since 77 noted your comments from my post on the Dufty / Lomax matter. Firstly, I don’t ‘hate’ Zac. He goes ok to my thinking and is normally a good goal kicker. What has surprised me is how after 45 NRL games that Zac seems to continue to be talked up as a gun player. However, his mistakes and short comings get little or no comment from many posters who seem to continue to tow the line he is almost an elite player. From reports we have him on the books at $500k a year until 2025. Yes I do watch football and am a Dragons/ St G follower since my infancy. Probably like you.
Zac has brilliantly caught a few high contested balls, got away a couple of nice ( gasnier type) flicks to Rava, always tries his best, can run a good line, and is a good goal kicker. But Zac is neither an elite player nor a power centre with dash. He also drops high catches,flick passes miss the mark and misses tackles. He doesn’t break the line much nor score from long range. I reckon he may be a good rangy lock a bit like Graeme Bradley ( penguin) from years ago.I describe him as an unremarkable NRL standard player who on occasion does something extra; but all on very good coin.
Matt Dufty seems an enigmatic player. He is not an elite player. Not good in jostling high contested balls, an ok tackler not strong tackler, not urgent on occasion. That acknowledged he is an excitement machine. Brillant and very fast. You and I have seen him score the most sublime individual trys. Some of those trys are against good opposition and very few could score them. Scores long range trys. When he gets the ball in space it’s ‘shut the gate’ as you rise to your feet, heart racing.This year Matt’s passing game has improved further.
All as I’m saying is that if Matt is not going silly on asking price say up to $400k sign him for a couple of years. Accept the high and lows like we are willing to concede to players on much higher coin.
Cheers and let’s hope some of the hyped young guys in the mix actually turn out in the next year or two to be top rating NRL players, we need them to do so.

denis preston

First Grade
Hi Since 77 noted your comments from my post on the Dufty / Lomax matter. Firstly, I don’t ‘hate’ Zac. He goes ok to my thinking and is normally a good goal kicker. What has surprised me is how after 45 NRL games that Zac seems to continue to be talked up as a gun player. However, his mistakes and short comings get little or no comment from many posters who seem to continue to tow the line he is almost an elite player. From reports we have him on the books at $500k a year until 2025. Yes I do watch football and am a Dragons/ St G follower since my infancy. Probably like you.
Zac has brilliantly caught a few high contested balls, got away a couple of nice ( gasnier type) flicks to Rava, always tries his best, can run a good line, and is a good goal kicker. But Zac is neither an elite player nor a power centre with dash. He also drops high catches,flick passes miss the mark and misses tackles. He doesn’t break the line much nor score from long range. I reckon he may be a good rangy lock a bit like Graeme Bradley ( penguin) from years ago.I describe him as an unremarkable NRL standard player who on occasion does something extra; but all on very good coin.
Matt Dufty seems an enigmatic player. He is not an elite player. Not good in jostling high contested balls, an ok tackler not strong tackler, not urgent on occasion. That acknowledged he is an excitement machine. Brillant and very fast. You and I have seen him score the most sublime individual trys. Some of those trys are against good opposition and very few could score them. Scores long range trys. When he gets the ball in space it’s ‘shut the gate’ as you rise to your feet, heart racing.This year Matt’s passing game has improved further.
All as I’m saying is that if Matt is not going silly on asking price say up to $400k sign him for a couple of years. Accept the high and lows like we are willing to concede to players on much higher coin.
Cheers and let’s hope some of the hyped young guys in the mix actually turn out in the next year or two to be top rating NRL players, we need them to do so.
Got to agree re Lomax , he is not the messiah ! Good solid footballer, great goalkicker who got the contract of a lifetime before competitors worked out the step and lack of acceleration. Certainly the best centre we have ATM and even on his contract , i think he will earn it. May have been in the SOO squad but he is lightyears away from the present centres and perhaps a couple more. Perhaps a move to lock ultimately may ensure ihe gets to the big dance.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
The fact no other clubs are rushing to sign Dufty is a huge red flag. If he is as good as a lot of the Dragons fans think he would have no issue finding a club. Looks like he may even end up in England. If he does he will become a superstar there.

What part of the article was defammatory?

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Let’s compare halfway through this season versus halfway last season...

Round 12, 2021 vs 2020
Points scored...

241 (2021) vs 232 (2020). 9 points difference.

Not exactly reflective of an enormous improvement in attack.

defence...

Round 12, 2021 vs 2020

260 (2021) vs 254 (2020). 6 points difference.

so not much difference here either.

The quality of opposition we’ve played this season vs last is debatable. Personally I think this season is far worse across the board - and we’ve yet to play Penrith n Souths, and get a 2nd shot at the pathetic bulldogs this week.

let’s hope things improve in the 2nd half of this season - for to me, we haven’t yet improved nor regressed.
There is only one stat that matters we have been in the 8 all year and are still in the 8. This is despite a massive injury and suspension toll and the rule changes as mentioned by others. Despite your creative use of for and against stats how about the all important stat of wins/losses? Last year he had 7 dubyas all year. We are already up to 6, likely 7 tomorrow.

Mjab

Juniors
I was surprised by the article in SMH re dufty
clearly he isn’t a dufty fan
it’s a surprise they would waste the time and size of the article essentially on a player of duftys stature in the game ie not really a great or important player , he not Tedesco and co !

if he is a Saints fan
he would have done the club more of a favour if he put in that amount effort into a similar critique on the peanut a few years ago

can he do a similar one about Norman at least next week !

redv13

Bench
I was surprised by the article in SMH re dufty
clearly he isn’t a dufty fan
it’s a surprise they would waste the time and size of the article essentially on a player of duftys stature in the game ie not really a great or important player , he not Tedesco and co !

if he is a Saints fan
he would have done the club more of a favour if he put in that amount effort into a similar critique on the peanut a few years ago

can he do a similar one about Norman at least next week !
To be honest the article seems pretty spot on. Nothing the journo states isn’t fact and backed up. As great as Dufty can be there’s plenty over the last 4 seasons that isn’t 1st grade material

Mjab

Juniors
To be honest the article seems pretty spot on. Nothing the journo states isn’t fact and backed up. As great as Dufty can be there’s plenty over the last 4 seasons that isn’t 1st grade material
I actually agree with most of it to be honest as well
I was more surprised that they could be bothered writing that much about a player of dufty s stature , essentially a player that wouldn’t make most NRL teams starting side

I’m happy to let him go as I think he has had a good run and doesn’t really seem to be improving his defence
Lim also happy to keep him on unders if he can consistently maintain form

we can blame a lot people especially peanut , who was unable to improve anyone but in the end Dufty needs to take responsibility for deficits in his game and HE has had a few years to fix it
I suspect it’s this fact that is a major reason for him being unwanted

in my mind it is more crucial we rid ourselves of Norman

blaza88z

Coach
It's going to hard to cop as a Dragon's fan because he does appear to be the most dangerous player in the team but at the same time, he's not the kind of bloke who will win you a tight game in a prelim

Latest posts