What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mighty Panthers V Parramatta

Kilkenny

Coach
Difference is, we have six players playing origin.
We overestimated our depth and we’re shown up a little against the Tigers and Sharks which is a concern.

I think as those games showed we are a little exposed without our best 17 fit and available.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
We overestimated our depth and we’re shown up a little against the Tigers and Sharks which is a concern.

I think as those games showed we are a little exposed without our best 17 fit and available.

I actually think there were a couple of poor choices made in team selections. I think next time Falls in the halves along with Salmon, leave Burton in centres.....that's where I believe mistakes were made.

DinkyDi

Juniors

Which will be addressed in the off season. Let's face it, we have never, ever, had so many representative players play at the same time.

Kilkenny

Coach
I actually think there were a couple of poor choices made in team selections. I think next time Falls in the halves along with Salmon, leave Burton in centres.....that's where I believe mistakes were made.
Falls is not NRL standard Alice. I would be happy for the kid if they gave him a a game or two but he’s not really up to it. As I have said elsewhere, Jaemon Salmon is probably the better option, in our worst case scenario. He is more of a running half but he is definitely miles in front of Kurt in reality.

Kilkenny

Coach
Which will be addressed in the off season. Let's face it, we have never, ever, had so many representative players play at the same time.

This off season will be very interesting regardless of how season 2021 ends up.

Given Burton is leaving, who appears to be a mainstay in our centres his position has to be filled.

Our forward stocks remain light on even if not to many want to embrace the concept so from my perspective we seriously need to recruit a really top quality front rower.

Im probably not going to earn too many likes on here for suggesting it but we could do a lot worse by bringing back Matt Lodge if the Broncos are kicking in half his salary.

Honestly despite his off field issues, in particular his New York f**k up, he is still a beast if a front rower at his best, local junior and all I don’t understand why we would entertain the idea.

WestyLife

First Grade

Given Burton is leaving, who appears to be a mainstay in our centres his position has to be filled.

Our forward stocks remain light on even if not to many want to embrace the concept so from my perspective we seriously need to recruit a really top quality front rower.

Im probably not going to earn too many likes on here for suggesting it but we could do a lot worse by bringing back Matt Lodge if the Broncos are kicking in half his salary.

Honestly despite his off field issues, in particular his New York f**k up, he is still a beast if a front rower at his best, local junior and all I don’t understand why we would entertain the idea.

You aren't getting another top prop in the salary cap. Worse when still paying RCG.

Kilkenny

Coach
You aren't getting another top prop in the salary cap. Worse when still paying RCG.
We need one. I’m not suggesting we can afford marquee money, but we really do need another front rower whether you like it or not.

I don’t know who, but our recruitment team needs to be exploring our options.

No one wants to go there but seriously if we could secure Matt Lodge for three seasons with the broncos kicking in half his salary he would really add value to our roster. Seriously there simply isn’t any body out there who could offer the same sort of value for $400k a season.

WestyLife

First Grade
We need one. I’m not suggesting we can afford marquee money, but we really do need another front rower whether you like it or not.

I don’t know who, but our recruitment team needs to be exploring our options.

No one wants to go there but seriously if we could secure Matt Lodge for three seasons with the broncos kicking in half his salary he would really add value to our roster. Seriously there simply isn’t any body out there who could offer the same sort of value for $400k a season.

My main objection is and always has been the salary cap and the balancing of the roster that's needed because of it. You might get lucky with a diamond in the rough from a bad team who wants to take less in a successful team but I can't think of any that stand out.

DinkyDi

Juniors

You have lost me on Matt Lodge. It is beyond my comprehension, that that coward did not spend a night behind bars.

Kilkenny

Coach
You have lost me on Matt Lodge. It is beyond my comprehension, that that coward did not spend a night behind bars.
He spent numerous nights in New York behind bars.

Rightly so, his conduct was reprehensible.

At the end of the day though, did his conduct warrant a life sentence.

As I understand it he is still paying restitution for his mistake and rightly so.

I was as appalled as anybody with what he did in NYC and he was guilty of other indiscretions prior to that including DV related matters.

He is no saint, has had issues in the past but he is paying for his sins and is entitled to be given a second chance.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Falls is not NRL standard Alice. I would be happy for the kid if they gave him a a game or two but he’s not really up to it. As I have said elsewhere, Jaemon Salmon is probably the better option, in our worst case scenario. He is more of a running half but he is definitely miles in front of Kurt in reality.

Because you've actually seen games live, you would know more than me. Perhaps Salmon with Burton that could work. I'm sure this will be an ongoing focus. Clubs like Storm and Chooks do this so much better than us.

Last edited:

chrisD

Coach
Our forward pack is the best in the league and it isn't really close, we need nothing. Burton's loss at centre won't be a big deal, besides To'o our backs are just role players who can't create for themselves but work off the brilliance and competence of the rest of the team. Burton is a bigger loss as a back up half.

Kilkenny

Coach
Because you've actually seen games live, you would know more than me. Perhaps Salmon with Burton that could work. I'm sure this will be an ongoing focus. Clubs like Storm and Chooks do this so much better than us.

I'm sorry it's been actively worked on.
I don’t think we actually have replacements for Cleary/Luai.

It is what it is Alice.

Ivan went down the path of the Tyrone May/Matt Burton but that didn’t quite work out according to most in here.

I‘m not of the view Tyrone May was the reason we lost both our games againgst the Tigers and Sharks I personally think there were others in our squad who didn’t aim up.

In the situation, either during SOO period or in the event of injury to either Nathan or Jerome from what I have seen I would go with Jaemon Salmon. Stick with Burton in the centre’s. Salmon is no world beater but he can do a decent job.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

It is what it is Alice.

Ivan went down the path of the Tyrone May/Matt Burton but that didn’t quite work out according to most in here

It is what it is Alice.

Ivan went down the path of the Tyrone May/Matt Burton but that didn’t quite work out according to most in here.

I‘m not of the view Tyrone May was the reason we lost both our games againgst the Tigers and Sharks I personally think there were others in our squad who didn’t aim up.

In the situation, either during SOO period or in the event of injury to either Nathan or Jerome from what I have seen I would go with Jaemon Salmon. Stick with Burton in the centre’s. Salmon is no world beater but he can do a decent job.

That sounds like a good plan. May is in need of finding some forum. Going to be fascinating to see if he is retained after this year.

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
That sounds like a good plan. May is in need of finding some forum. Going to be fascinating to see if he is retained after this year.
Personally, I think Tyrone May is a pretty decent squad player. Not at his current salary, but if you are taking about $250-$300 a season then perhaps worth retaining.

Im not sure whether we retain him or not, but despite some suggesting otherwise, there will be no shortage of suitors given his utility value. When played in his rightful role he does actually offer value just not at his current contract value reportably to be $400k a season.

WestyLife

First Grade
Personally, I think Tyrone May is a pretty decent squad player. Not at his current salary, but if you are taking about $250-$300 a season then perhaps worth retaining.

Im not sure whether we retain him or not, but despite some suggesting otherwise, there will be no shortage of suitors given his utility value. When played in his rightful role he does actually offer value just not at his current contract value reportably to be $400k a season.

He's off contract and not a single club has offered him a contract. Not even the desperate dogs.